Not worthy of a thread - UEFA Euro 2016 edition

Trumpet

Draw is this Sunday. Thought this needed a thread of its own. The pots have been decided:

http://i62.tinypic.com/11r4x89.png

Teams will be put into 9 groups. Eight groups of 6, and a group of 5 (Plus France, whose games don't count). 23 teams could qualify (France already there as the host)

- For television rights reasons, England, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands shall be drawn into groups of 6 teams

- For political reasons, Azerbaijan and Armenia (due to disputed status of Nagorno-Karabakh), as well as Spain and Gibraltar (due to disputed status of Gibraltar) shall not be drawn in the same group. Unlike the previous UEFA qualifying tournament, Russia and Georgia have agreed to play each other if they are drawn together

- France (Coeff: 30,992; Rank: 11) are partnered with the five-team group, which enable the 2016 tournament hosts to play friendlies against these countries on their 'spare' dates. These friendlies do not count in the qualifying group standings.

9 group Winners and 9 Runners up qualify directly, leaving 5 spaces open for play offs. The best 3rd team also qualifies....and the remaining 8 3rd teams will do play-offs for the remaining 4 spots.

-------------------------------------------

Shame despite Iceland's great WC qualifying campaign, they couldn't make the cut to pot 4, still think some lesser nations will have a great chance of qualifying here. As for England, I guess the tough draw would be:

England, Belgium, Serbia, Armenia, Iceland, and Kazakhstan.  or the easy root of: England, Ireland, Norway, Latvia, Moldova, San Marino.

Personally hoping for a good draw for Nordic teams, and Poland.

In an ideal world we will get ROI, Scotland, N. Ireland, and Gibraltar.

Myself I really want us to play Gibraltor, just for the laughs. I'd also like to stay away from Ukraine, Sweden, Poland, Croatia, and Denmark, mainly because we always seem to come up against them.

When did they do these coefficients? Iceland in pot 5 FFS.

40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage.

40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying stage and final tournament.

20% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage and final tournament.

No wonder when you consider Iceland were quiet woeful for 2010 or 2012 qualifying campaign. FIFA is the one, that only takes the current ranking into equation (Hence Norway ended up being top seed for WC qualifers group due to their run of form in Euro 2012 qualifying campaign having beaten Portugal and drawn Denmark).

It takes a couple of more good campaign for Iceland to properly establish themselves up there, which I suspect they will do as their team is very young and will only get better.

40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage.

40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying stage and final tournament.

20% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage and final tournament.

No wonder when you consider Iceland were quiet woeful for 2010 or 2012 qualifying campaign. FIFA is the one, that only takes the current ranking into equation (Hence Norway ended up being top seed for WC qualifers group due to their run of form in Euro 2012 qualifying campaign having beaten Portugal and drawn Denmark).

It takes a couple of more good campaign for Iceland to properly establish themselves up there, which I suspect they will do as their team is very young and will only get better.

:thup: surely be 100% easier just to do it on FIFA rankings (competitive games only).

So that's going back to 8 years before the start of this tournament, seems utterly ridiculous that.

I would like to think we got rid of the old guard, Gerrard, Cole, Lampard ect. and bring in new fresh talent to build a team around , and FFS play Rooney up front,

Was bored off my mind last night, so did a mock draw:

Group A: Italy, Hungary, Slovakia, Armenia, Macedonia, Kazakhstan

Group B: Greece, Republic of Ireland, Slovenia, Wales, Lithuania, Luxamburg (Wales genuinely will have a chance here)

Group C: Germany, Czech, Romania, Belarus, Moldova, Gibraltar

Group D: England, Belgium, Poland, Finland, Azerbaijan, Andorra (Roy returns to the country of his second citizenship  :cheesy: )

Group E: Spain, Switzerland, Israel, Scotland, Georgia, Malta

Group F: Netherlands, Denmark, Serbia, Estonia, Albania, Faroe Islands

Group G: Portugal, Sweden, Austria, Bulgaria, N.Ireland, Lichtenstein (The revenge of Ibra)

Group H: Russia, Croatia, Turkey, Montenegro, Cyprus, San Marino (Somewhat competitive group and maybe San Marino can sneak a draw off Cyprus ?)

Group I: Bosnia, Ukraine, Norway, Latvia, Iceland, (France) .