Hull City 1 - 4 Newcastle United - 01/03/14 - Post-match reaction from page 33

Dave

Had a great view of the game from the halfway line. Anita was the best player on the park, he was absolutely phenomenal and didn't waste a ball all day. LDJ impressed me too, Dummett was solid and MYM was excellent bar one fuck up that he was booked for.

I thought it was a smart foul to make as Hull would've been 2 on 1.

Guest bimpy474

Had a great view of the game from the halfway line. Anita was the best player on the park, he was absolutely phenomenal and didn't waste a ball all day. LDJ impressed me too, Dummett was solid and MYM was excellent bar one fuck up that he was booked for.

He only did that because he got himself to easily turned like.

Guest neesy111

It was.

Had a great view of the game from the halfway line. Anita was the best player on the park, he was absolutely phenomenal and didn't waste a ball all day. LDJ impressed me too, Dummett was solid and MYM was excellent bar one f*** up that he was booked for.

He only did that because he got himself to easily turned like.

Yeah. I really like MYM but he created that situation for himself. Can excuse him for being a little rusty, though.

1st on MOTD.

2 minutes of football and about 13 minutes of waffle about Pardew I imagine. Feel sorry for the players to be honest. Their performance will be completely forgotten

It was.

I don't agree. I only saw it the once but to me it looked like he got far too tight and got turned very easily. The foul essentially made up for his own poor marking/positioning.

I don't have a clue how good Pardew or the team is.

I'm now getting puzzled how our performances do change game to game.

It basically depends entirely on which side scores the first goal.

As do 99% of football matches in general!

As previously it just makes you wonder why the performances are so staggeringly inconsistent. I know the players themselves are inconsistent and so is the opposition but the workrate, pressing, passing and movement today was lightyears ahead of some of the shite we've served up in recent weeks. We attacked them at pretty much every opportunity and got the rewards.

The squad clearly isn't good enough but there's enough quality there to deal with most teams in this league. It can only be a mentality/tactics thing.

Personally I'd say the Cabaye sale completely derailed us as a team, the entire side and tactics were built with him as the key man with no natural replacement so losing him there was obviously going to be a fall in form and performance which was exacerbated by tiote and remy being out for periods too. This affected confidence as well so the win last week was huge, failure to score the goal despite some ridiculous misses and god only knows what it would have done to the team. Seems now that the correct balance in the team has been found (at least vs meh opposition) and if we can repeat this performance there could be a strong end to the season with few games you'd expect us to struggle in (in theory) left. Of coarse I may just be ridiculously over optimistic as usual

That would make a lot of sense had we not put in an excellent display of controlled, passing football in the very first match after Cabaye left.

Does feel sometimes like, when the right players are out there, that they occasionally just decide to play some good football and boss the opposition because they know they are better.

Happened a few times this year, Villa away, Palace away, West Ham away etc.

I never feel like it's because of some tactical masterclass from Pardew. Just feels like, when they are in the mood they can beat most teams.

:spit: :spit: :spit:

Great result, OK performance at best. The scoreline flatters us - they had numerous chances, particularly in the first half, to bury us, and we went into half time having created only one decent chance (Sissoko's goal) in 45 minutes of huffing and puffing whilst Hull missed 2 absolute stonewall sitters and had another 4 very good chances which they created, and then proceeded to gift us two goals from terrible mistakes at the back (their centreback Bruce's lack of agility :lol: - thank you nepotism) which essentially handed us victory on a plate.

The point with Pardew has never been that we'd not pick up points under him. The 11/12 season is testament to being able to ride your luck and win games with the "wrong" approach. The issue is that this "method" of picking up points, where we simply rely on being clinical whilst hoping the opposition aren't, isn't sustainable in the long term. At some point we'll just be in trouble again when we lack a form player to win us games or the opposition teams take their chances more consistently.

I thought we had several long passages of smart one touch play which often threatened to open Hull up.  Central midfield was ours, not easily but we won the battle with passing and movement, how often can we say that after a match?  Hull don't often give teams more than the odd chance, but today we had 17 shots, so we were doing things right against a team set up to not concede first and foremost.  Really enjoyed watching the game for a change, and whilst teams who are better and more attacking than Hull will make more of the gaps we leave, this post-cabaye shape shows promise. 

I'd like to see them approach Fulham in the exact same way, to see if we can pass around them as well.  Even if we go behind, this system is worth persevering with for the foreseeable just to assess it's potential for next season (unless HBA can get back on the pitch, that would require a rethink but would be worth it)

Guest bimpy474

Interesting to hear Pardew say in his BBC interview that De Jong had a role to stop Huddlestone playing today.

I pointed that out earlier, he helped out Anita and Tiote really well today, dropping in the space between their defence and midfield.

Interesting to hear Pardew say in his BBC interview that De Jong had a role to stop Huddlestone playing today.

I pointed that out earlier, he helped out Anita and Tiote really well today, dropping in the space between their defence and midfield.

and fed Remy from not great positions more than once, too.  There was one header he dropped perfectly for the striker when it seemed a nothing ball forward (one of the few punts in the game)

I thought we had several long passages of smart one touch play which often threatened to open Hull up.  Central midfield was ours, not easily but we won the battle with passing and movement, how often can we say that after a match?  Hull don't often give teams more than the odd chance, but today we had 17 shots, so we were doing things right against a team set up to not concede first and foremost.  Really enjoyed watching the game for a change, and whilst teams who are better and more attacking than Hull will make more of the gaps we leave, this post-cabaye shape shows promise. 

I'd like to see them approach Fulham in the exact same way, to see if we can pass around them as well.  Even if we go behind, this system is worth persevering with for the foreseeable just to assess it's potential for next season (unless HBA can get back on the pitch, that would require a rethink but would be worth it)

We were good and pleasing to watch. The only negative today was the defending on crosses. Still can't remember them creating a single chance that wasn't from a cross (freekick aside) which really shows how much Tiote and Anita bossed it.

Guest bimpy474

and fed Remy from not great positions more than once, too.  There was one header he dropped perfectly for the striker when it seemed a nothing ball forward (one of the few punts in the game)

Aye his link up play was really good.

We were good and pleasing to watch. The only negative today was the defending on crosses. Still can't remember them creating a single chance that wasn't from a cross (freekick aside) which really shows how much Tiote and Anita bossed it.

I suppose that's the compromise of asking the fullbacks to push up and provide width, the gaps in behind will be massive if we lose the ball at the wrong moment.  The Everton away match was one of the most glaring examples of this, and we have played with this risk 'built in' to whichever formation we have used this season.  It's great when it works, I guess!?