Lee Charnley

Dave

9 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I just don't understand how you can commend someone for simply appearing to be a yes man specifically in the role to shield the ultimate decision maker.

He was MD when we were relegated in 2016.... but well done Mr. Charnley, sir, despite you nodding with absolute class in MA's direction you were unable to help the team stay in the Premier League (apparently your one remit).

I'm not really commending him. Priti Patel is seemingly doing a good enough job for the Tory's. Her bosses within the party seem happy enough with her. If another political party with the same beliefs and objectives took her in, I wouldn't be surprised.

Did Charnley do a good job for us fans? No. But it wasn't his job to make us happy.

As time went on, I became convinced the odd-relegation was part of Ashley's business model for the club. Sell the best players, invest enough to get us back up. Then swirl the drop for another 5-6 years.

That's why I stopped posting when Rafa left and brought in Brucey. The whole point of the club was to just about stay in the PL and even if we got relegated, that's ok. Invest enough to get back up and do it all over again. It's also why I was never too mad at Brucey. He knew the job. Stay up if you can. Don't get the fans excited and don't criticise the fat man.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm not really commending him. Priti Patel is seemingly doing a good enough job for the Tory's. Her bosses within the party seem happy enough with her. If another political party with the same beliefs and objectives took her in, I wouldn't be surprised.

Did Charnley do a good job for us fans? No. But it wasn't his job to make us happy.

As time went on, I became convinced the odd-relegation was part of Ashley's business model for the club. Sell the best players, invest enough to get us back up. Then swirl the drop for another 5-6 years.

That's why I stopped posting when Rafa left and brought in Brucey. The whole point of the club was to just about stay in the PL and even if we got relegated, that's ok. Invest enough to get back up and do it all over again. It's also why I was never too mad at Brucey. He knew the job. Stay up if you can. Don't get the fans excited and don't criticise the fat man.

You what?

'The fact the new leadership kept him around for a little bit shows he has some competence'.

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I think most of us had a problem with Charnley because he wasn't really a football professional. Wasn't he promoted from some sort of admin role initially?

Guest HTT II

I know a few people that know him well, said he’s a top bloke, but shouldn’t ever be running a company as big as NUFC and has zero football knowledge. Did donate quite a bit of time and his own money to the West End Food Bank mind so he gets a bit slack from me, but he was terrible at his job on every level.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m not saying he did a good job for us.  He seemingly did a good enough job for Ashley - his employer. 

As did Joe Kinnear for what that's worth. :lol:

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

If the criteria is doing what the owner demanded of his employee, then Bruce did a great job!

Yeh Bruce did a good job for Ashley. Didn’t moan too much about the upper management. Kept the team in the division long enough to sell the club.  

Being an Ashley sheep was a big part of being a Ashley era manager. Any manager that put sporting achievement or the fans as a priority was peddled.  That’s not in the job description.  

Edited by The College Dropout

• 10 months later...