Lee Charnley

Dave

Wonder how that would have gone last season had the takeover not gone through.

We stayed up in the two Bruce seasons down to luck, certainly had nowt to do with anything good that fucking Charnley might have done. 

It's difficult from the outside to know how able he was at his job. But, from the outside, it seemed that he rose from an admin monkey due to everyone above him leaving and being an unquestioning yes man.

Ok, he has experience of running a PL club, but they seem to be after advice about the commercial side of that, which it seems he'd have very little really experience of from running Spots Direct United.

10 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Wonder how that would have gone last season had the takeover not gone through.

We stayed up in the two Bruce seasons down to luck, certainly had nowt to do with anything good that fucking Charnley might have done. 

If the takeover had never happened, Howe wouldn't have come in and we'd have finished comfortably in the bottom 3. Noting Cabbage Heed's efforts at WBA, we'd be mid table Div 2 this season, haemorrhaging money and racing the m*ckems to the bottom.

Fine margins.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Kept the team in the PL most of the time (comfortably in the main too) and straight back up (easily) when we went down.

Also took all (a lot at least) the shit for the Owner.

That was the MO of the job according to the Owner.

What does 'keeping us in the league' consist of though?

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Finishing 17th or above.

Again - that's what the owner was aiming for and that's what the resources were aimed towards.

But what do you believe Charnley did to help us reach our target? So far we've got "He took a lot of shit".

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

But what do you believe Charnley did to help us reach our target? So far we've got "He took a lot of shit".

I don't know what he did specifically but Charnley was responsible for the day-to-day running of the club that finished midtable 3 seasons in a row. That woul be considered a good job by his employer.

I don't know what more you want to know. His boss was happy enough with him for 7 years. He hit the targets he was set more often than not. 1) prem survival 2) keep the heat off MA 3) do it all on a shoe string

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't know what he did specifically but Charnley was responsible for the day-to-day running of the club that finished midtable 3 seasons in a row. That woul be considered a good job by his employer.

I don't know what more you want to know. His boss was happy enough with him for 7 years. He hit the targets he was set more often than not. 1) prem survival 2) keep the heat off MA 3) do it all on a shoe string

I'm absolutely fucking staggered that any legit Newcastle fan could come out with such drivel.

10 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Tbh I think Charnley did a decent job - with the boss and the resources that he had.

The fact the new leadership kept him around for a little bit shows he has some competence.

Forest don't even have a shirt sponsor.

Utter, utter, unadulterated pig shit.

One of the most absurd statements I've read on here in years.

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'm absolutely fucking staggered that any legit Newcastle fan could come out with such drivel.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of his employer.

Would a team aiming to be a proper club employ him? No. But we weren't a proper club under Ashley. Forest don't even have a shirt sponsor - so i'm guessing there's some ineptitude going around.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Would a team aiming to be a proper club employ him? No. But we weren't a proper club under Ashley. Forest don't even have a shirt sponsor - so i'm guessing there's some ineptitude going around.

Can't quite believe that anyone would even suggest this rank lickspittle brown-nosing cunt would in the least be considered 'competent'.

He treated fans and this club with complete and utter disdain for the entirety of his time here. For anyone to suggest otherwise is utter nonsense.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Yet they've spent how many millions on new players (whether one considers that to be a good or bad thing)?

Get some consistency in what you're saying, man.

Considering his job is to make things "perfectly adequate" this role should be a walk in the park for him, I bet he just walks around the ground sticking Sports Direct logos on every bit of free wall he can find.

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

Wonder if he was under explicit restrictions not to increase revenue in any way, shape or form as well? Considering his then employer was the greediest cunt alive, I somehow doubt it.

If he did a shit job for Ashley, Ashley would've fired him in the 7 years. It's just that simple. Commercial revenue wise - Ashley was most concerned with the free advertising for Sports Direct everywhere he could. 

10 hours ago, toon25 said:

Yet they've spent how many millions on new players (whether one considers that to be a good or bad thing)?

Get some consistency in what you're saying, man.

What does signing loads of players mean about their acumen? QPR signed loads of players. It might work, it might not. But the fact they don't have a sponsor suggests there is a problem somewhere in the upper management. Maybe not recruitment but somewhere. 

Edited by The College Dropout

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If he did a shit job for Ashley, Ashley would've fired him in the 7 years. It's just that simple. Commercial revenue wise - Ashley was most concerned with the free advertising for Sports Direct everywhere he could. 

What does signing loads of players mean about their acumen? QPR signed loads of players. It might work, it might not. But the fact they don't have a sponsor suggests there is a problem somewhere in the upper management. Maybe not recruitment but somewhere. 

I'm sure if you were looking for a sponsorship deal, however, the best man for the job would be 'Big' Lee Charnas, who did a sterling job of driving down commercial revenue at his last job.

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I just don't understand how you can commend someone for simply appearing to be a yes man specifically in the role to shield the ultimate decision maker.

He was MD when we were relegated in 2016.... but well done Mr. Charnley, sir, despite you nodding with absolute class in MA's direction you were unable to help the team stay in the Premier League (apparently your one remit).

54 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

"hoo, before you hoy them chairs in the store take those cheese boards off em. It's all money, you kna" FV69ZG9JK4UGUO3.thumb.jpg.ad8e265722ba03d0362e7d05d8f98df8.jpg

This cheeseboard story sounds made up. I'm pretty sure Sodexo would have been responsible for such things.