Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Sadly, it looks like he doesn't have it in him to be the professional he needs to be and you have to ask how much he actually loves being a footballer. There's no doubt he loves doing the entertaining but if that's it he'll end up in the Middle East.

Hauled off after 30 mins or so at he weekend and looking at the Hull forums there's a lot of unhappy punters with both him and Brucie.

Nightmare move.

Working out well for Bruce. Top decision.

Any Geordie at the time if a Premier League manager would have jumped at the chance.  If you'd been hull manager would you have turned down the chance to have him?

Oh not in a million years. I would have snapped him up.

I was thinking more though of the decision to not play him now he has him. (I'm assuming he is not injured tonight)

Yeah but Steve Bruce is not exactly an outstanding manager.  He's done alright but mainly due to luck imo.  To be fair to them all there is probably alot that goes on that people don't know about.

When I was young I was a blinding programmer but a lazy piss taking bastard.  I had the right/ maybe wrong manager at the time and he used to let me get away with murder (coming in at 9:30 and leaving at 3:30 some days) but I was the best they had and I'd still deliver way more than anyone else anyway even those who worked 12 hour days.  I had to grow up though as I got older and more senior as you can get away with things when you are young if you deliver great results but as you get older people won't tolerate it anymore as you should know better this may be the issue with Hatem.

I'm sorry but Chris Hughton convincing Hatem Ben Arfa to join a newly promoted NE team is about as believable as me convincing Kelly Brook to come to my house and scrub the bathroom.

Pretty sure I read an article when he signed that he actually talked to Chris and liked that he was such a sensible, nice, and down to earth man. But fair enough dude, :lol:

Yeah, but why's he been dropped tonight?  :lol:

All my post was about was just thinking out loud...like how in the fuck did we get this mad bastard to not turn up to training, go on strike, arrive at the airport and all that. Just sounds ludicrous and probably a decent/fascinating story. An inside on the deal, basically.

He's not any sort of target. I love watching him play and I'd certainly prefer him to be starting for NUFC than the rubbish actually in the side. Just pointing out the huge contrast between his situation and his (at one time vaguely realistic) stated ambition.

Bit of a joke, like. He's 9 years younger and more naturally talented than Frank Lampard. Look at where their respective careers are now. That's the difference having a set of balls makes.

It's more this sort of thing I'm on about, I've never seen a lack of balls (whatever the fuck that means) cited before now, I'd wager it's generally always been Pardew's fault for not picking him previously but now seems a good time for you to jump on his back and claim you were always right.

Right about what? It doesn't take a genius to be right about Hatem Ben Arfa. He's a (sometimes) brilliant right winger who consistently takes the easy route in his career. And it's unfortunately led him to two appalling defensively-minded managers who aren't going to let him do his thing.

Right about what? It doesn't take a genius to be right about Hatem Ben Arfa. He's a (sometimes) brilliant right winger who consistently takes the easy route in his career. And it's unfortunately led him to two appalling defensively-minded managers who aren't going to let him do his thing.

You're just increasingly Captain Hindsight these days, but have a habit of making out you've always said it.

When did you decide Ben Arfa's main problem was not having a set of balls rather than not being managed correctly?

I've alluded to him taking the easy way out in the past. If you look back in this thread it'll have been said in the summer. I remember discussing it before the season started.

In all seriousness this is a bit of a waste of time. As much as Pardew's badly mismanaged him since late 2012 Hatem's more responsible than anyone else for being out of favour on loan at Hull City during the prime of his career. Hardly profound.

Guest firetotheworks

How is joining clubs like us and Hull taking the easy way out? Wouldn't doing what Scott Sinclair and co have done be taking the easy way out? He could have stayed here and just not played, or in Marseille. I don't see it, I don't think he's innocent by any means, but the easy way out/no balls route is utter bullshit considering what we all know happened after the Man United match.

Fair play to him if he stood up to Pardew. All we know for sure is that he calls him the best manager he's ever worked with and said the other month that he shouldn't be sacked in spite of the fact that fan groups has mobilised against Pardew partially in defence of Hatem himself.

Still trying to save a little face, Hatem, Ron. Think he's just trying to be political over it.

I'll stand firmly behind the lack of any bit of foresight by Pardew to have been complicit in robbing US the supporters of getting to see a talent like him weekly. Pardew would have gotten a longer leash had he just vocally supported Hatem and left him out at RW, imo. Hatem also packed on weight (muscle or fat, whatever) and was never able to stay or look fit; fair enough. But anyway, I'll always blame Pardew first - he's a fucking manager acting like a sad, pissed, unprofessional clown - at all times.

Ben Arfa's fallen out with pretty much every manager he's ever worked with. They can't all be Pardew.

That is an obvious and unarguable point, and it is testament to the stubbornness of human nature that so many people are not prepared to even moderate their views, in the light of it.

any official reason as to why he was dropped?

like someone else has said, he has fallen out with every manager he has had, plus teammates from the age of 15/16 (see youtube for his fight with i think abou diaby at that french academy)

If thats his general human nature and he gets his team mates wound up (we have all heard the rumours of colo and the senior players fucking him off) then again despite his mercurial ability to have one amazing game in every 10 i dont want him back. I would much rather play aarons and sammy every week who put the effort in