Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

It's not Mike Ashley's fault that Alan Pardew can't handle the obvious talent coming into the squad (other than the fact that he is ultimately responsible for his appointment).

Yes it is. The performance of any organisation chiefly falls on the shoulder of the owner or person calling the ultimate shots.

Cabaye, Sissoko, Santon, Cisse, Debuchy, Janmaat, Yanga-Mbiwa, (Siem) De Jong, and Hatem Ben Arfa wouldn't have looked out of place in any squad of Keegan or Sir Bobby's best.

Good players sometimes ultimately fail to shine at certain clubs. That's life. Some of those - have been given plenty of opportunities and have basically sucked - in one aspect or another. Sanon can't defend and isn't effective in attack and Cisse has been terrible. Cisse's not a SBR or Keegan player at all.

Cisse arrived and played pretty much like he did in the Bundesliga, then due to bad management is the player what he is now, the club's recruitment infrastructure cannot be blamed for this. He was a very good signing for a club of our position.

Santon arrived after being praised by a pretty honest manager (tried to tell us not to sign Damien Duff) who also happens to be one the best managers of all time who believed he would go on to great things. It was a coup to get him to us considering we had zero Italian presence in the club (Zamblera?). I was ecstatic when we bought him as I couldn't believe we'd ever get a left back better than José Enrique.

I hate how the club is run, I hate Mike Ashley, I don't hate the players he's signed but I do hate that he doesn't invest fully in the club and that we could have potentially done even better.

With a proper manager, the players that we have had over the past 5 years should have seen us regularly top 6 or 7 in my honest opinion, with the potential of further with the additional attraction brought to the club by success in the league.

It's not Mike Ashley's fault that Alan Pardew can't handle the obvious talent coming into the squad (other than the fact that he is ultimately responsible for his appointment).

Yes it is. The performance of any organisation chiefly falls on the shoulder of the owner or person calling the ultimate shots.

Cabaye, Sissoko, Santon, Cisse, Debuchy, Janmaat, Yanga-Mbiwa, (Siem) De Jong, and Hatem Ben Arfa wouldn't have looked out of place in any squad of Keegan or Sir Bobby's best.

Good players sometimes ultimately fail to shine at certain clubs. That's life. Some of those - have been given plenty of opportunities and have basically sucked - in one aspect or another. Sanon can't defend and isn't effective in attack and Cisse has been terrible. Cisse's not a SBR or Keegan player at all.

Cisse arrived and played pretty much like he did in the Bundesliga, then due to bad management is the player what he is now, the club's recruitment infrastructure cannot be blamed for this. He was a very good signing for a club of our position.

Santon arrived after being praised by a pretty honest manager (tried to tell us not to sign Damien Dunn) who also happens to be one the best managers of all time who believed he would go on to great things. It was a coup to get him to us considering we had zero Italian presence in the club (Zamblera?). I was ecstatic when we bought him as I couldn't believe we'd ever get a left back better than José Enrique.

I hate how the club is run, I hate Mike Ashley, I don't hate the players he's signed but I do hate that he doesn't invest fully in the club and that we could have potentially done even better.

With a proper manager, the players that we have had over the past 5 years should have seen us regularly top 6 or 7 in my honest opinion, with the potential of further with the additional attraction brought to the club by success in the league.

Pardew has made some mistakes with players - no doubt. But even the best managers have some signings that just don't go well. My biggest gripe is the lads he's barely tried - Marv, HBA (to a degree) & MYM. But Cisse & Santon - stop excusing them.

Our biggest problem is we don't try to build. We just aim to sell and maintain which invariably leads to a drop in quality.

Yeah, virtually impossible. We went into this season with one right back, and one senior striker - who'd been out of form for 2 years.

Two senior strikers tbf.

If Riviere's a senior striker I'm a Buddhist.

He could have and should have been a great player for us. To have his level of talent and for that to be the case, tells its own story.

He'd have been a class act under Keegan or Bobby.  Some managers struggle to get it out of players with attitude problems, some don't.  If anyone had a problem with him Keegan would have just said he'll win us games on his own and told the other players to get on with it if they had a problem with him.  Pardew doesn't give a shit if you have talent or not as long as you run around alot, turn up for training on time and never question him.

He could have and should have been a great player for us. To have his level of talent and for that to be the case, tells its own story.

Tbh, the talent he's got he should never have ended up at a newly promoted club at 23-24 in the first place anyway. Should have been one of the best in Europe on a yearly basis in the Champions League strutting his stuff.

Would love to know, at some point, the process in which Carr got through to his agent, convinced him to want to join us, and then the whole saga afterwards. My take is that Chris Hughton was such a good bloke, he wanted to be here even more. Pardew, the charlatan that he is, talked up a good enough game to make Hatem believe he'd be first name on the team sheet.

So putting 2 & 2 together, Carr probably did his normal pitch, Hughton convinced him to join us, he relished playing for 52k mad Newcastle supporters, gets hurt, gets OVERWHELMING LOVE from Newcastle supporters, gets basically a life-long connection/affection for Us, Hughton is sacked, Pardew comes in and the sneaky salesman convinces him that he wants to sign him long-term, even with his injury (makes HBA happy), spouts the normal shit about how wonderful the fans are here, and says he'll build the team around him or let him get back to what he does best. No sense that every time Hatem came on and did the business, Pardew was happy, and when he didn't/got hurt/forced Pardew to make changes, he was being punished for it; and eventually made the scapegoat.

Working out well for Bruce. Top decision.

Any Geordie at the time if a Premier League manager would have jumped at the chance.  If you'd been hull manager would you have turned down the chance to have him?

Oh not in a million years. I would have snapped him up.

I was thinking more though of the decision to not play him now he has him. (I'm assuming he is not injured tonight)

Would love to know, at some point, the process in which Carr got through to his agent, convinced him to want to join us, and then the whole saga afterwards. My take is that Chris Hughton was such a good bloke, he wanted to be here even more. Pardew, the charlatan that he is, talked up a good enough game to make Hatem believe he'd be first name on the team sheet.

So putting 2 & 2 together, Carr probably did his normal pitch, Hughton convinced him to join us, he relished playing for 52k mad Newcastle supporters, gets hurt, gets OVERWHELMING LOVE from Newcastle supporters, gets basically a life-long connection/affection for Us, Hughton is sacked, Pardew comes in and the sneaky salesman convinces him that he wants to sign him long-term, even with his injury (makes HBA happy), spouts the normal s*** about how wonderful the fans are here, and says he'll build the team around him or let him get back to what he does best. No sense that every time Hatem came on and did the business, Pardew was happy, and when he didn't/got hurt/forced Pardew to make changes, he was being punished for it; and eventually made the scapegoat.

Yeah, but why's he been dropped tonight?  :lol: