Fans Forum Minutes - Spoiler: Same old s***

Guest ManDoon

The board outlined research into Premier League clubs in relation to domestic cup competitions in the last five years, with Swansea City the only club outside the traditional top six to win a domestic cup and not be relegated in the same season (Birmingham and Wigan Athletic were both relegated). Independent research into the cost of relegation over the past ten years showed there is a 50% chance of not gaining promotion back to the top flight and a 30% chance of being relegated to League One or further. In addition, if clubs do return to the Premier League, it takes four years on average.

It is sad to hear football clubs are actually conducting research into things like that, it really is.

Mostly because, even if they said, "we're doing it so we can make better informed decisions", everyone knows that what that means is "find some statistics to justify a total lack of ambition".

I will never understand why clubs like you, us, or others with no chance of winning the league again, but have "expectations", show such scant fucking regard for cup competitions. It's the only chance of winning things.

In fact, scratch that, I do know why they act like that - because winning things isn't what drives them any more, it is all about what goes in the accounts at the end of the year. If being a football supporter is underpinned by something as fucking blank and emotionless as balance sheets, we might as well all stop bothering with the game, and start following the FTSE index or something.

Guest antz1uk

I don't have an ebay account, can anyone else make a spoof 'NUFC for sale' stating all of the potential and benefits of owning such a potential well esteemed institution?  :(

Football clubs cannot be run the same way as a conventional business. They are all probably too scared to tell Ashley this (if they recognise it).

Football clubs are only too happy to claim that they need to be run like a conventional business, but they're also quite happy to go on milking the fact that the fans see it as anything like a conventional business.

Which predominantly means unbelievably loyal "customers" who spend half their lives thinking about their clubs, and whose daft loyalty leads them to pour money into the clubs year after year, regardless of the shit returns you get from them. When was the last time you saw anyone with a Marks and Spencer or Cisco tattoo?

I don't think there is a business of any type anywhere in the world which has given me as little pleasure as paying to watch Aston Villa over the last two years - 11 home wins from the last 38 - and continued to benefit from my largesse.

And that is why clubs which run themselves as conventional businesses are having their cake and eating it.

I don't have an ebay account, can anyone else make a spoof 'NUFC for sale' stating all of the potential and benefits of owning such a potential well esteemed institution?  :(

might give it a go but will have to look at the legal side to be safe  :drool:

Guest ManDoon

I don't want to wait for our lives to be over, I want to know right now, what will it be?

:lol:

Calling that research is the funniest thing. Any of us could tell you that off the top of our head.

I just love the dropping of scary words. League One! 4 years until promotion!

Man, it's so transparent and shameless. The single fact they feel the need to come out with this drivel is infuriating, the fact they think they can get away with it is nauseating, and I'm not even a real NUFC fan. :lol:

Do clubs still risk sanctions from the FA for not taking competitions seriously, and the disrepute that brings the game into, or was that done away with wholesale when they decided Arsenal could play their youth squad every cup game?

Not really enforceable for us though. Pardew puts out enough of a first team squad to not get stung for that. Just gets round it by just telling them not to bother trying to win by the looks of it.

Surely openly talking down the competition and saying we don't want to be in it is worse than picking a weakened team where you can just say "Well I thought this was the best team for the opposition or squad development, it's not that I don't give a fuck about it."

Ashley is so reflective of modern plutocracy that it's sickening.  Bottom line is the only metric to measure happiness for them.  These fuckers are not pharaohs.  They don't take shit with them when they die.  They see no value in the journey - in football terms, when Shearer scored against Spurs in the '99 FA Cup semifinal...the sheer elation of being a Newcastle supporter as he wheeled away in celebration.  Never mind that we lost to Manure in the final.  Those exalted moments of being a Newcastle supporter are my metrics.  The sine wave of joy and disappointment.  But the Ashleys of the world have even infiltrated the game I love and flatlined that sine wave.

They can celebrate with the fans all they want, but they will never get it.  Everything turns to ashes in their mouths...and sadly, whatever is in their hands.