Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

It's his inability to carry the ball at all now that is the biggest issue. I think our search for a number 10 needs to bring in someone who can get a hold of it and run 20 yards up the pitch before passing or winning a freekick. Thats more important than finding a killer pass or loads of goals right now. Hence why Rafa preferred Sissoko to Wijnaldum there.

Horrible place to lose the ball in your own third, that.

Rafa blamed the 'mistake' for losing the game and he got hauled off straight after.

Be interesting to see the 11 Saturday, that's two games running we've looked toothless going forward. We'll pick up points as we're now hard to beat but Rafa won't be happy with the final third (Perez/Joselu)

He's never convinced me as a deeper attacker. He's not built for strength and hold-up play, his decision-making is and always has been abysmal and now his technique seems to be disappearing too. Great finisher and movement, but not fit for Rafa's system as a number ten and I fear he won't cut it as a solitary striker. Shame as I really like him and was pretty exited about him a few years ago....

Guest firetotheworks

Not making excuses for his performance last night, but I think he'd be a lot better with a striker in front of him that actually moves.

Funnily enough the reverse opinion has been mentioned in the Joselu thread. Imo I think they're just both not good enough. Both can generally do the chasing opponents bit competently, but the rest of both of their games is really poor.

Guest alijmitchell

He's fucking crap, let's be honest. He's only there because we have no-one near good enough to take the role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest firetotheworks

He was played more as an out and out striker when he was first played wasn't he? That coupled with the time it took for the opposition to work him out might have led to him having a bit of a purple patch.

After yesterday I've come to the conclusion that so far, he's simply not suited to the system Rafa wants to play. Ayoze's best performances for us have come either on the left wing as a LWF, or an out and out striker. Even as a second striker behind Mitro he played really well. But this whole backs-to-the-goal, deeper role where he has to be creator and fend off battling defenders and DMs on his back has really curbed his natural style of play. He always looks best when he's going at the goal, approaching the box, as he has that bit of skill to cut in or create an extra yard of space to either beat a man or get a shot in, or an assist. But all of this seems to be negated when he has to face the other way and look out for defenders trying to nick it off him / foul him.

Guest milburn990

I like Ayoze as a player but how can he disappear for so long in matches, is it because he has absolutely nowt to work with up front i don't know.

After yesterday I've come to the conclusion that so far, he's simply not suited to the system Rafa wants to play. Ayoze's best performances for us have come either on the left wing as a LWF, or an out and out striker. Even as a second striker behind Mitro he played really well. But this whole backs-to-the-goal, deeper role where he has to be creator and fend off battling defenders and DMs on his back has really curbed his natural style of play. He always looks best when he's going at the goal, approaching the box, as he has that bit of skill to cut in or create an extra yard of space to either beat a man or get a shot in, or an assist. But all of this seems to be negated when he has to face the other way and look out for defenders trying to nick it off him / foul him.

Was just trying to write something on Perez and I think you're spot on actually.  He's a very strange player to work out - feels like he should be able to play as a number 10, but something just isn't clicking.

Didn't Perez play as a lone striker when he first came? Thought he did alright from what i can remember.

Problem is he is too weak and that is why he will never succeed in English football. Th amount of times the kid loses the ball is pathetic to be honest.

He is such an strange player, I know it's been said many times, but he is. The goal against Southampton was excellent because he didn't just give up on it and was alert to the possiblities, showing a strikers instinct. He had a good effort yesterday in the second half (it was actually the one positive thing I saw from Joselu all night, as he fed him the ball). But these incidents are so very few and far between, he's just not effecting games nearly as much as he needs to, he's in the most pivotal role for a Rafa team and it's killing us from an attacking perspective that he is so ineffective. He is such a nice lad though, that you are always pulling for him, but the number 10 role in a Rafa team is so ill suited for him, honestly difficult to determine what role he would excel in.

We need to upgrade in January, there is zero options for replacing him in the current squad, unless Rafa ditches his formation.

Cisse didn't come in until much later really. Perez kept him out of the team most weeks till Boxing Day where Perez played LW against Everton. Cisse then got himself banned for an elbow. But Carver never fancied him. Used Cisse and Riviere together where he could, until Cisse got another ban for spitting and had to use him.