Fun88

Guest thenorthumbrian

What does that mean for the academy funding and all that? Assuming a pull out of sponsorship means some form of liquidated damages due to either side who is left at the alter unless there is a breach of contract of some kind.

You don't believe that they actually funded that do you?

The money came from within the club and FA youth funding, the Wonga stuff was to stop people from kicking off.

Just saw this on the Twitter:

@HoskingTheTimes  · 20m 

Wonga may ditch its sponsorship of Newcastle Utd. "Everything is on the table," the payday lender's new boss Andy Haste has just told me.

Seems a bit Hasty.

What does that mean for the academy funding and all that? Assuming a pull out of sponsorship means some form of liquidated damages due to either side who is left at the alter unless there is a breach of contract of some kind.

You don't believe that they actually funded that do you?

The money came from within the club and FA youth funding, the Wonga stuff was to stop people from kicking off.

I try not to speculate on things I don't know for certain. Waste of my brain

Just wondering, would this attribute to the home shirt delay?

There was a similar delay last year, wasn't there?  Remember being mildly embarrassed about the same thing then.

You're probably right. If they pull out completely, it'll be SD all the way I fear.. the stadium name, the shirt, everything.

Imagine :anguish:

All these signings are to get the fans on side before the inevitably massive "SportsDirect.com" plastered on the from of the shirt

Stadium will go back to being "officially" called "Sports Direct Arena" as well, no doubt.

Stadium will go back to being "officially" called "Sports Direct Arena" as well, no doubt.

Well we have to showcase how other sponsors could get the opportunity to change the stadium name back to what it's actually called.

Guest reefatoon

The company spokesman has informed the fans that they are experts at getting rid of irritating cunts.

http://i.cubeupload.com/z1QZSd.jpg

Kamal Ahmed ‏@bbckamal 2h

Breaking: Wonga's new chairman Andy Haste tells me lender to dump advertising puppets. Wants nothing that "could attract children"

Well that's OK, supporting Newcastle is about as attractive to children as Rolf's Cartoon Club.

Guest Roger Kint

Is there actually anything to suggest they're pulling the sponsorship, or is it just something they're considering along with the rest of their business?

Its more likely that they will just be considering not extending it beyond the current deal. Does it run out in 2015?

Is there actually anything to suggest they're pulling the sponsorship, or is it just something they're considering along with the rest of their business?

Its more likely that they will just be considering not extending it beyond the current deal. Does it run out in 2015?

He also talks about them becoming less profitable, I cant imagine they'll want to be forking out millions for sponsorship deals.

Guest Roger Kint

He also talks about them becoming less profitable, I cant imagine they'll want to be forking out millions for sponsorship deals.

yeah there is that too

Ashley has overseen 3-4 sponsorship deals and he hasn't put Sports Direct on us yet. I doubt he will now, we may go back to Sports Direct @ St James' Park, and possible Sports Direct @ Newcastle academy, but I doubt we will have SD as short sponsors unless Wonga pulled out now and we couldn't get anyone else in for the start of the season.

As part of that review Wonga will drop the long-running grandparent puppet brand ambassadors it has used in marketing since 2011.

Haste says in a video on the Wonga website: “I’m very aware of the criticism of the advertising approach, and the puppets will be going, I’m going to be reviewing all our advertising and marketing to make sure we don’t leave any impression that we’re trying to influence or target the very young or the vulnerable.”

Part of the criticism of Wonga sponsoring football teams is that it's a way of targeting football's traditionally working class supporter base, which I guess would be where the issue is.