The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

I don't think you can accuse someone that scores that many goals as being selfish for shooting. If anything, not shooting would be absolutely f***ing stupid. It's also a total myth that he's not a team player like, he absolutely is.

I'm a massive Cronaldo fan but it's not entirely a myth. He's shoot first - pass second. He very obviously cares about solo statistics and accolades probably more than any player we've seen and  undoubtedly that affects his play.

Look how he celebrated breaking the GS record against Bayern - then look how he celebrated Ramos equaliser in the final, Bale's goal, then look at how he celebrated the goal he scored. This is a man partly driven by personal successes.

It's part of what makes him such a phenomenal and consistent player. His value can more or less be measured in his goals and assists for this reason. When you evaluate your Zidane's, Iniesta's or Xavi's they have a larger overall effect on team play.

Messi is excused the selfish tag but he's much the same way and that's what the people of Argentina believe separates him from Maraona. Diego made the team play better so they can win, Messi needs the team to play better so that he could win it for them. That's the thinking of the game these days.

I can't believe people watch Ronaldo and can't see he is nowhere near the team player someone like Zidane is. And honestly, saying he scores so many therefore he can shoot whenever is letting him off big time. The guy is really selfish at times. Shooting from distance when someone else can be played in is not good team play no matter what your goal scoring record is.

He is a very forceful personality in general. Going a bit off what TCD has just said about his attitude, you see it very evidently a lot more for Portugal. Always demanding the ball, and throwing strops when it isn't given to him, even though he then doesn't do the same as often for others. The team is almost held back by him a lot of the time, as they are always looking for him. I mean that team has the talent to be far better, but it doesn't function well together. It's often the Ronaldo show.

Guest firetotheworks

I get what's meant, but I think the goals he scores are an obvious thing that seems to be ignored as being for the team. Him being selfish isn't like other players being selfish, I think that's the point I'm quite poorly trying to make.

I get where you are coming from KI. Don't mean to come across as though I am discounting his goal scoring record at all. The guy is a phenomenal player. Just my view on things, and my personal preference in a player.

I don't consider him (Cronaldo) very selfish - he's a clever player and he's not much more selfish than the Messi of the last 12 months. However, his reaction to Ramos goal and then his own will always be his Achilles heel. Not that he should care, he'll be looked as Superhuman by the time he hangs it up.

Natural leaders (Diego at least, Zidane may have grown into one) and playmakers are always going to have those intangibles that bring so much to a team.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it's all part of Ronaldo's make up tbh. That absolute, unflinching arrogance is probably a huge part of why he's so fucking incredible. Even players like Bellamy said that when he went onto the pitch he had to believe in his mind that he was the best player on the pitch otherwise he was nothing. I get the feeling that Ronaldo's the same, but more in terms of being the best in the world.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm much more about individual, clever flair like. Players that embarrass other players. Ginola, Beardsley, Ben Arfa and then the obviously bigger versions in Messi, Original Ronaldo, Zidane etc. I'd rather watch Zidane but I'd rather have Ronaldo in my team (going back to that original point)

I love pure playmakers man, in every sport too. I'm just like that, and it's the way I played too. Just a personal thing I guess.

Same, I always prefer it over goals. Give me an unreal through ball over a volley any day of the week.

I used to love finishers more but now I much prefer midfielders. Vieira would probably be how I would play if I was good.

Zidane had to be a "team player" because he played in midfield. Ronaldo is there only to score goals as he's a striker.

He's not a striker though is he? He's a goal scoring machine of a LF? Inside forward?

Zidane always played as #10 but that position allows for those that are more strikers (Bergkamp) or midfielder (Zidane).

Zidane had to be a "team player" because he played in midfield. Ronaldo is there only to score goals as he's a striker.

He's not a striker though is he? He's a goal scoring machine of a LF? Inside forward?

Zidane always played as #10 but that position allows for those that are more strikers (Bergkamp) or midfielder (Zidane).

He's the absolute definition of a striker, regardless of whatever you want to call his position.

I feel like I'd have got into this sort of conversation years ago, but now I couldn't give a toss. Is that a sign of getting old, or disillusioned with football?

Who cares what you think, Newcastle are a much bigger club than Spurs, just have a gander at these attendances...

I feel like I'd have got into this sort of conversation years ago, but now I couldn't give a toss. Is that a sign of getting old, or disillusioned with football?

Who cares what you think, Newcastle are a much bigger club than Spurs, just have a gander at these attendances...

:lol: disillusionment it is.