The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

Pretty sad how the media and otherwise loads of people are keen for Southampton to slip away (when they've played someone - even though everyone plays the same games) to maintain the status quo at the top of league.

Pretty sad how the media and otherwise loads of people are keen for Southampton to slip away (when they've played someone - even though everyone plays the same games) to maintain the status quo at the top of league.

I'm personally not keen for it but convinced they will regardless. In fact it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they are out of the top 6 by the new year.

I'd love to see them do it, but it's different between wanting something to happen and thinking it actually will.  The first half of the year always throws up a lot of surprises that don't hold.  Villa have been top at Christmas and finished 6th.  It's just true that the top teams always seem to forge on at Christmas and beyond, when their vastly more expensive deeper squads show what they're good for, when often they look a bit wasted at other times in the season.

Southampton have been fading for a while.  They've been getting results for weeks without being spectacular.  They're clearly a good team, but they've been overrated because of a good start, one in which they've had some favourable fixtures.  They'll be top 6-8 again easily, but beyond that I doubt they'll get near the champions league in the end.

You don't need to be anything but a good team this year. Newcastle are fifth. Chelsea aside, there's no one to have confidence stringing wins together for fun.

I'm not sure about that.  It may be true for right now, but I don't see Man Utd and Arsenal having almost infinite defensive injuries for the whole season.  Both of those sides are a few fit defenders from getting a good run of form together.  They traditionally finish the season stronger as well, especially Arsenal in recent years.  Southampton have played Tottenham and Liverpool of the supposedly top sides so far and that's it.  We'll know a lot more about their real potential after December and January, where their fixture run is literally horrendous.  They play a top side for about 6/8 games at one point.

Perhaps :thup: I don't personally see both Man Utd and Arsenal hitting the heights, but Southampton might slump really badly. I just don't expect them to fall away as many would expect night to follow day, I guess.

Think it's shaping up to be a good title race. Arsenal getting their bad patch out the way, but showing potential,Manu slowly crawling back to life, citeh stuttering and Chelsea flying - though only a couple of games away from letting others back in it and Liverpool doing well to stay in the league.

Throw soton in there as the new kids who'll fade by jan and you've got everything you need from a title race.

The CL spots are pretty open as well.

Southampton have been fading for a while.  They've been getting results for weeks without being spectacular.  They're clearly a good team, but they've been overrated because of a good start, one in which they've had some favourable fixtures.  They'll be top 6-8 again easily, but beyond that I doubt they'll get near the champions league in the end.

You don't need to be anything but a good team this year. Newcastle are fifth. Chelsea aside, there's no one to have confidence stringing wins together for fun.

I'm not sure about that.  It may be true for right now, but I don't see Man Utd and Arsenal having almost infinite defensive injuries for the whole season.  Both of those sides are a few fit defenders from getting a good run of form together.  They traditionally finish the season stronger as well, especially Arsenal in recent years.  Southampton have played Tottenham and Liverpool of the supposedly top sides so far and that's it.  We'll know a lot more about their real potential after December and January, where their fixture run is literally horrendous.  They play a top side for about 6/8 games at one point.

Perhaps :thup: I don't personally see both Man Utd and Arsenal hitting the heights, but Southampton might slump really badly. I just don't expect them to fall away as many would expect night to follow day, I guess.

I have to say that despite what I've said, they have a decent shot I think.  They'll slump in the next 8 games I'm sure, because any team would.  They just play too many top teams to keep up their current rate of points gain.  At the same time, I can see them getting 10 points from the next 8 games.  That would give them 36 points from 20 games.  That points per game rate at the moment would still be top 4.  So if they can get at least 10 points from those games coming up, then they'll be in the hunt for those spots till near the end.  Their performance level is far better than our 5th placed season, but their trajectory is quite similar in many ways.

Think it's shaping up to be a good title race. Arsenal getting their bad patch out the way, but showing potential,Manu slowly crawling back to life, citeh stuttering and Chelsea flying - though only a couple of games away from letting others back in it and Liverpool doing well to stay in the league.

Throw soton in there as the new kids who'll fade by jan and you've got everything you need from a title race.

The CL spots are pretty open as well.

I think it's Chelsea's title all day long personally, there's no chance they'll let this slip with that squad and manager.  The rest of the league's looking quite open though.

1. Chelsea

2. Man City

3. Arsenal

4. Manchester United

5. Southampton

6. Tottenham

7. Liverpool

8. Swansea

9 Newcastle

10. West Ham

??

Hope not. But may well end up. Would like to see a Southampton or Swansea stick it up the arse of the BBC/Sky and ITV wankathon punditry that is so biased.

That would have been my top 2 at the start of the season with scousers and arsenal fighting for next 2 places. Mr Rodgers has other ideas thankfully.

I would never count Man U out of it (jammy cunts basically), but this season one side could and maybe should, break the 'big 4' monopoly.

They won't play in black n white at SJP mind. :lol:

1. Chelsea

2. Man City

3. Arsenal

4. Manchester United

5. Southampton

6. Tottenham

7. Liverpool

8. Swansea

9 Newcastle

10. West Ham

??

Hope not. But may well end up. Would like to see a Southampton or Swansea stick it up the arse of the BBC/Sky and ITV wankathon punditry that is so biased.

That would have been my top 2 at the start of the season with scousers and arsenal fighting for next 2 places. Mr Rodgers has other ideas thankfully.

I would never count Man U out of it (jammy c***s basically), but this season one side could and maybe should, break the 'big 4' monopoly.

They won't play in black n white at SJP mind. :lol:

yeh we are guaranteed to go on a Pardew losing streak. Spurs have looked shite, but they are still tracking "ok" points wise in the context of league places. They have alot of upside to them.

Hart; Sagna, Kompany, Mangala, Clichy; Fernando, Lampard; Navas, Nasri, Milner; Aguero.

Neuer; Rafinha, Benatia, Boateng, Bernat; Alonso, Rode; Robben, Hojbjerg, Ribery; Lewandowski.

CSKA have just equalised as well.