The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

Perhaps my favorite part of opening weekend is the inevitable cascade of knee-jerk reactions that follows.

Which would've been worth a post if there was any 'knee-jerking' going on. I saw Arsenal last season and I'm not impressed with their summer signings. I also said the same last month before a ball had been kicked.

Perhaps my favorite part of opening weekend is the inevitable cascade of knee-jerk reactions that follows.

Which would've been worth a post if there was any 'knee-jerking' going on. I saw Arsenal last season and I'm not impressed with their summer signings. I also said the same last month before a ball had been kicked.

It's probably not going to happen but if they got a midfielder to play beside Ramsey and kept their key players fit they'd go close

Guest Howaythetoon

Arsenal won't win the league until they start signing leaders, they lack leaders. KK hinted in one of his recent talk ins that one of the reasons we didn't win the league was because we had hardly any leaders. He said a team needs about 5 and we had none  really, not until we signed Batty and Shearer. Man Utd had half a team of leaders.

Arsenal have gifted players and a very good side but where are the leaders, the real me in their team? When they were last successful they had leaders in Vieira, Lehman, Gilberto, Henry, Campbell etc. top players but also mentally strong individuals who could carry their side and lead them to victories and help rise above set backs. Mentally Arsenal are a fragile team these days. Man Utd have similar flaws too.

Arsenal won't win the league until they start signing leaders, they lack leaders. KK hinted in one of his recent talk ins that one of the reasons we didn't win the league was because we had hardly any leaders. He said a team needs about 5 and we had none  really, not until we signed Batty and Shearer. Man Utd had half a team of leaders.

Arsenal have gifted players and a very good side but where are the leaders, the real me in their team? When they were last successful they had leaders in Vieira, Lehman, Gilberto, Henry, Campbell etc. top players but also mentally strong individuals who could carry their side and lead them to victories and help rise above set backs. Mentally Arsenal are a fragile team these days. Man Utd have similar flaws too.

Hard to disagree with any of that. I think they've made good signings but they do still lack that steel that they had in the days of Viera and Petite.

They're a CB and an Arteta upgrade away from putting in a proper title challenge. Still probably end up coming third though.

It's almost impossible to compete with City and Chelsea due to their infinite resources & willingness to sign/hoard players just to stop others having them.

They're a CB and an Arteta upgrade away from putting in a proper title challenge. Still probably end up coming third though.

It's almost impossible to compete with City and Chelsea due to their infinite resources & willingness to sign/hoard players just to stop others having them.

Don't even really need a centre back IMO.  A centre mid and a striker are badly needed though because they won't win big games with Wilshere/Arteta in midfield and Giroud as their striker

Don't even really need a centre back IMO.  A centre mid and a striker are badly needed though because they won't win big games with Wilshere/Arteta in midfield and Giroud as their striker

Getting by on Koscielny, Mertesacker and an untried Chambers? Massively needless risk.

Getting by on Koscielny, Mertesacker and an untried Chambers? Massively needless risk.

Aye, I suppose, I was thinking more first team but you are correct. Doubt they'd get anybody decent who'd be willing to be 3rd choice though

David Gold told ClaretandHugh exclusively: “I am really looking forward to seeing Ravel back in the team.

“It’s not my job to pick teams and I wouldn’t tell the manager what he should or shouldn’t do.

“But my personal view is that Rav could be played as an out and out striker – when he’s in the team he gives us a different dimension.

“Obviously he has an issue in front of him but his attitude has been great since he came back. With every day he is getting old and hopefully maturing.

“Our position is clear. We want to offer him a new deal further down the line so long as we see the right reaction from him.

“He had a spell in the sun last season and things  drifted away but we know that at his best he is a hugely exciting footballer.”

:laugh:

Allardyce getting undermined.

Maybe they're trying to get him to jump, so there's no compo.