2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Germany win again

Guest ManDoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worth noting that it's another tournament where the Premier League has again largely failed to show up. No players in the likely team of the tournament this year, none last time. In 2006, it was a 23 man squad system that was voted for - PL had 3/23, and in 2002, it was a 16 man squad - PL had 2/16.

Similar numbers in the last couple of Euros too.

The dynamic of the PL is as different from typical WC football as it gets. I couldn't care less, frankly.

There just isn't that many absolutely outstanding players in the premier league IMO, even more so now with Suarez gone

On the plus side, got 2 Copa Americas in the next 2 years and the Euros in France IMO should be very decent. Planning to get myself over to Florida in 2016 for the Copa then. Failing that, France.

Nowt like the World Cup though.

Bra-zeeeeel.

Can't help feeling the expansion's going to spoil some of it, completely unnecessary.

On the plus side, got 2 Copa Americas in the next 2 years and the Euros in France IMO should be very decent. Planning to get myself over to Florida in 2016 for the Copa then. Failing that, France.

Bra-zeeeeel.

I really hope that Qatar tournament gets shifted to a proper football country, otherwise we'll be waiting a while for anything remotely comparable to 2014.

I like the expansion. There are enough good teams in Europe and it's exciting to see some smaller nations possibly qualify for the first time. Also, more football to watch.

What a really great World Cup, gutted that it's over but glad that the mighty Germans prevailed.

First European team to win it on South American soil, a nice little extra for them.

So many good memories from this one, hard to believe its over now  :(

It's really helped me to fall back in love with football, can't wait for the new sea . . .

:okay:

My updated sig says it all. GTFI Deutschland! And thank you for doing it so late. Even sweeter than I could ever imagine.

Argentino, me diz como se sente... / Perder na casa do papai

Bra-zeeeeel.

I really hope that Qatar tournament gets shifted to a proper football country, otherwise we'll be waiting a while for anything remotely comparable to 2014.

No way it will be switched. The investigation into corruption about it has been done by a lawyer hired by FIFA who has done similar investigations for FIFA, also the results of it will only be seen by a FIFA panel. It's all been done to keep everyone else out. If any country tries to intervene then FIFA will kick them out for mixing politics with football, and if any football organisation dares to question them then their pot of money will be made smaller amongst other things.

The 2022 World Cup will be in Qatar, it will probably be changed to winter and at the most inconvenient time of year for the rest of football, but it will go ahead. It wouldn't surprise me if it was held over Christmas with any sort of celebrations of it banned/close to banned from Qatar, just because.

Saw that Gotze got MOTM and that is understandible but thought Boateng was the best player out there. Absolute rock at the back.

Boateng was immense, would have got my vote tbf. Plus he's fucking massive, never noticed it before but he is huge and quick which is great combination.

I really do not understand the problem people have with Russia in 2018. :lol: Great football history. Host cities clustered together to make travel less difficult. Fantastic match times for Europe/Africa. Culturally, it is very different to Brazil, but this is the same with every tournament. Like South Africa and Brazil before it, Russia has many blemishes it will need to cover up, but there is no reason to think it won't be successful in this cause.

Qatar logistically makes no sense whatsoever, but an incredible sum of money will be thrown towards making it palatable if we ever even get to that stage.

Saw that Gotze got MOTM and that is understandible but thought Boateng was the best player out there. Absolute rock at the back.

Boateng probably had the best game I've ever seen him play. But Schweinsteiger, without him in there, despite going hiding a bit in the 2nd still deserves it for running non-stop. Thought Mascherano did well for Argentina once again as well.

I really do not understand the problem people have with Russia in 2018. :lol: Great football history. Host cities clustered together to make travel less difficult. Fantastic match times for Europe/Africa. Culturally, it is very different to Brazil, but this is the same with every tournament. Like South Africa and Brazil before it, Russia has many blemishes it will need to cover up, but there is no reason to think it won't be successful in this cause.

I agree but clustered together? I'm looking forward to it, especially as Brazilians don't need a visa (at least for now).

I agree but clustered together? I'm looking forward to it, especially as Brazilians don't need a visa (at least for now).

I just mean that all the cities and host sites are in Europe, with none in Asia/Siberia (not logistical genius or anything, just the way of things tbf), so the travel will be relatively comparable to Brazil despite Russia being probably more than twice as large.

Boateng probably had the best game I've ever seen him play. But Schweinsteiger, without him in there, despite going hiding a bit in the 2nd still deserves it for running non-stop. Thought Mascherano did well for Argentina once again as well.

:thup: Schweinsteiger was immense. Such a great player man, intelligence and technique in abundance but  a great fighting spirit to match.

I just mean that all the cities and host sites are in Europe, with none in Asia/Siberia (not logistical genius or anything, just the way of things tbf), so the travel will be relatively comparable to Brazil despite Russia being probably more than twice as large.

Aye, I think they'll host a great World Cup, don't think Russia would like to embarrass themselves. I mean if our government managed to hide everything for a month why shouldn't they be able to do an even better job?

Aye, I think they'll host a great World Cup, don't think Russia would like to embarrass themselves. I mean if our government managed to hide everything for a month why shouldn't they be able to do an even better job?

WTF, no matches in Vladivostok? :okay:

Flying home tomorrow.  :sad:

Back to work on Wednesday after a month off.  :scared:

Could be worse, man. I got back from 3 weeks in Florida on a Monday morning at 8AM once and had to be in work for 10AM same day, in Bolton.

I think the problem with Russia is that like Qatar they won the bid through bribery.

I'm just hoping that the World Cup after these two go to sensible choice.

I think the problem with Russia is that like Qatar they won the bid through bribery.

I doubt there's been a single World Cup bid in the past two decades that was won without significant amounts of money changing hands.

I doubt there's been a single World Cup bid in the past two decades that was won without significant amounts of money changing hands.

This :thup: