Our Summer Transfer Business

Minhosa

Pardew's 'success' here has been almost completely reliant on having a quality goalscorer in the squad to produce out of little and paper over the cracks of our shoddy performances. Remy last season, Ba and Cisse before that. Most of our success on the pitch has come because of hitting lucky with striker signings. I know you could say this is the case for any manager/club in the league but its even more true with us considering how poorly coached we are from back to front.

Unless Riviere rocks up and does it, Cisse has a renaissance or one of the kids comes through out of nowhere (i'd say all 3 are unlikely) we're down that prolific forward this season. Hence even with the new signings I've got us finishing around 14th/15th right now as a prediction. Possibly a bit higher if some of the new guys have very good seasons.

Again this summer we've proven we can make good signings, and again we've proven the lack of ambition running through the club by stopping once we've spent the money made from the sales of Cabaye and Debuchy. We've done enough to probably stay up, and have a couple more players on the books who could potentially be sold for a profit in a couple of years time.

Quite honestly...Grenier, New #1 Striker and CB to remove Willo/Saylor would be the way to make most of us happy. Solves creativity, goals, and strength and physicality in the back.

The need for Grenier is highly dependant on how Sissoko is used for me, he's the key for any midfield signing in my mind.

On the wing? Then yes we'll need a playmaker who can get the ball forward quickly and not have it stick in the middle of the pitch for ages.

if he actually plays CM aka his natural position then I'll start to think maybe a creative winger is more necessary.

Of course none of this would be necessary if Ben Arfa was in favour but alas we are where we are.

I suppose also you could say Aarons should get a chance to prove himself but I somehow doubt that will happen.

Quite honestly...Grenier, New #1 Striker and CB to remove Willo/Saylor would be the way to make most of us happy. Solves creativity, goals, and strength and physicality in the back.

The need for Grenier is highly dependant on how Sissoko is used for me, he's the key for any midfield signing in my mind.

On the wing? Then yes we'll need a playmaker who can get the ball forward quickly and not have it stick in the middle of the pitch for ages.

if he actually plays CM aka his natural position then I'll start to think maybe a creative winger is more necessary.

Of course none of this would be necessary if Ben Arfa was in favour but alas we are where we are.

I suppose also you could say Aarons should get a chance to prove himself but I somehow doubt that will happen.

O0

Aarons will depend on what happens with the likes of Ameobi, Obertan and Ferguson..with really only Ameobi being the person ahead of him. If Sammy goes out on loan I think Aarons will get some time for us.

Regardless Pards will be playing Cabella, Sissoko, Gouffran, Riviere, Cisse, Amrstrong, Perez, DeJong, Colo, Elliot all on the wings before all is said and done.

We need a proven striker - end of.

Without this, we could end up having a struggle even though we have what looks like a decent midfield because without goals, you lose games - even if you have played well.

We still desperately need a striker and centre half. Another winger would be pretty massive too, considering Hatem.

We've done OK, I think we've bought some decent players and there's actually a potentially more balanced team emerging than we've had for some time. We just need to add some quality in the right places and we've got 8th place to look forward to.

I'm concerned about the lack of natural width. Its only the kids ATM who are wingers in a traditional sense really.I'm sure pard's is happy enough with cms, forwards and fullbacks in wide positions but I'm not. One more versatile midfielder would really be a step forward for me. Someone else comfortable across what like like being a front 3 behind the striker.

Its a shame that we won't see that. It looks on the face of it that a minimal investment of around 20 mil and a clearing of some of the deadwood could really take the club forward. We've replaced what we've lost but nothing more. A quality forward and a decent midfield added to this lot surely isn't too much to ask and would give us some real depth rather than hoping that one of De Jong or Cabella stays fit and hits the ground running.

Again this summer we've proven we can make good signings, and again we've proven the lack of ambition running through the club by stopping once we've spent the money made from the sales of Cabaye and Debuchy. We've done enough to probably stay up, and have a couple more players on the books who could potentially be sold for a profit in a couple of years time.

Sums it up. Don't know much about Cabella or De Jong but from what people are saying they sound like they could fetch a profit after a couple of years(as long as they are good enough to negate Pardew). Expecting another inspiring season in that heated battle for 8th place.

Unless we move Mapou on - we won't look for a CB.

I'd take just a striker coming in.

Well obviously I think we all realise that at this point. Still doesn't stop the fact that we desperately need one even if it probably won't happen.

Well obviously I think we all realise that at this point. Still doesn't stop the fact that we desperately need one even if it probably won't happen.

I don't think we desperately need one. The defence has shown it can be pretty solid for prolonged periods of time. If the front 6 play well the defence tends to be decent.

I'd like to see Taylor start alongside Williamson more as they are both highly rated by the manager. That way when they get ripped a new arsehole against City on the opening day there won't be anywhere to hide for their supporters.

I don't think we desperately need one. The defence has shown it can be pretty solid for prolonged periods of time. If the front 6 play well the defence tends to be decent.

I really don't get this. Defensively we have been abject for the last two seasons and we have just lost our best defender and Pardew would like to get rid of the only other one with real potential. Our new RB will probably be the best defender we have and he's completely unproven in the Premier League. So a crap defense and less goals in the squad than last season. What could possibly go wrong?

I really don't get this. Defensively we have been abject for the last two seasons and we have just lost our best defender and Pardew would like to get rid of the only other one with real potential. Our new RB will probably be the best defender we have and he's completely unproven in the Premier League. So a crap defense and less goals in the squad than last season. What could possibly go wrong?

when we where able to score the defence was decent. 

For a top 10 finish all we need is a good striker.  The people in charge don't want anymore than that so I'm not going to stress myself over it. 

Our defence is usually well policed by midfield enforcers and forwards playing as auxiliary full backs so it's hard to say how it would hold up if we used more attacking formations. There again they might argue they are under more pressure because we are always defending.

Irrespective of formation, our defence is what needs the most attention now.  With the exception of Debuchy, our defence has not had any changes or significant competition for some time now and YMB has not made the impact yet.  I do not need to go into each player but to concede 59 (GD -16) and 68 (GD -23) in the last two seasons is shocking and must be addressed.

We might have added a few goals and more attaching threat (without a c.20 goals a season striker) and that should in theory see us finish about Stoke, Southampton (8th) based on last season but nothing more than that IMO.

Not that I believe a word he says, but for Pardew to mention Newcastle and Champions League in the same sentence (or conversation even), we need to be achieving at least a 25+ GD and 70+ points to even get close.  Absolutely no chance with the current defence IMO as we will never score enough at the other end to make this happen.

If we keep the current defence, bottlejob will have to cover that by playing Colback and Tiote to protect them, which will result in one less outlet and attacking threat.

If 3-5-2 is he preferred tactic or even 4-2-3-1, we are fucked with the current defence.