Starting XI

Beren

Ryder saying Coloccini should be under pressure and on merit perhaps MYM and Williamson should be the starters.

Well I f***ing never, I actually agree with something ol' window licker says.

Mbiwa and Williamson is the best we have. MYM just needs to get his confidence up.

Krul                   

Williamson          Coloccini

Janmaat                                              Haidara

Ti :anguish: te        C :anguish: lback

Sissoko                                                Cabella

de Jong

Riviere

That's the nailed on lineup for me, barring injuries.

Me too. Looking forward to seeing De Jong though.

His confidence is usually at it's best when Willo is next to him. Willo is a shouter, organizer and I bet he's actually a good leader on/off the pitch. Shame his physical abilities don't match the hard work the guy puts into it. I'll never, ever, question his commitment and work ethic. He's seemingly WORKED himself to be where he is today, even though I'd love to replace Colo, Saylor and Him for better/younger players.

Realistically I'd like to see this against City and going forward provided De Jong is fit.

Krul

Janmaat Williamson MYM Haidara

Anita

Sissoko De Jong

Cabella Riviere Aarons

Would like another CF and CB obviously, Tiote can come in for Anita for certain matches.

I know Aarons is untried but I'm just sick of Gouffran offering absolutely nothing, at least he threats the opposition instead of passing backwards all day long.

The key I took a way from today is (if we didn't know it already) is Gouffran should never start on the wing and Sissoko must always start in the middle preferably in a midfield 3.

We all know what Pardew will do, so it's not much more than a pipe dream but just some thoughts.

This Tiote protecting the defence stuff doesn't really work though, does it?  We've had him 'protecting the defence' for  couple of seasons and have shipped goals left and right.  Chuck Anita in there instead and see if maybe keeping the ball and troubling the opposition might be better than picking up yellows and hoofing into the gallowgate at every opportunity.

Protecting the defence is hardly everything Tiote does. He gets significantly more touches and completed passes (with higher success rate) than Anita per game which makes the 'Anita keeps us ticking' in every post about him just ridiculous. Tiote is always available for the ball and never hides, we just simply look worse when he isn't playing.

I like Anita but he has to be a lot more active and aggressive off the ball before he could realistically replace Tiote and personally I just can't see him being that type of player. Tiote obviously has his faults too and over confidence is IMO his biggest flaw. He can pull the tricks he does 9 times out of 10 but that one time often results in a dangerous chance for opposition. Just have to hope he is humble now after costing Ivory Coast one crucial goal in the WC.

What i want:

Krul; Janmaat, Moke, MYB, Santon; Sissoko, Anita, De Jong; Ben Arfa, Striker (haven't seen the new ones yet), Cabella.

What we'll get:

:yao:

:yao:    :yao:    :yao:    :yao:

:yao:    :yao:    :yao:    :yao:

:yao:    :yao:

Krul                   

Tiote            Colback

de Jong

Riviere

Swap Haidara for Dummett and I think you've got it.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, any combination of that defence and we're screwed like. It doesn't seem that long ago that we got relegated with (on paper) the best defence we should have had in years. It's rare that we're solid everywhere.

Krul                   

Tiote            Colback

de Jong

Riviere

Swap Haidara for Dummett and I think you've got it.

Doubt it, Haidara has started nearly every pre season game while Dummett has been getting minutes here and there.

Obviously words aren't Alan's strong point but in today's Sky soundbite he did say something along the lines of 'If Siem and Cheikh are back then I'll have my strongest team available.'

To me that means he sees the supposed 'strongest 11' as a 4-4-1-1 to which I'd guess Krul, Janmaat, Mike, Colo, Haidara, Sissoko, Tiote, Colback, Cabella, De Jong, Riviere.

That is quite simply a terrible usage of the forward 6 players.

Guest chopey

Colo seems to be in horrific form in pre season, he has been our best defender for years now but it looks like he could be on the downturn now

Forgotten Santon already then.

Haidara and even Dummett deserve a run of games before Santon gets back in. And the fact he has no f***ing left peg to speak of.

Dummett is terrible, shouldn't be near a PL club. Santon still first choice for me.

Surely you can agree Haidara deserves a chance to nail down the spot though? Santon has had a free run at it since coming into the club with no competition, and rarely looked exceptional.