Africa 'Copa' of Nations 2015 - Ivory Coast Champions

Toon Hoser

If it was held every twenty years, you people would still complain.

Why can't it just be quadrennially like Copa America, Euros, Asian Cup and the OFC nations cup?

I know the Gold Cup is every 2 as well but at least they stick it in the summer and the big players don't go to every other one anyway.

This is 3 tournaments in 4 years FFS :lol:

If it was held every twenty years, you people would still complain.

Why can't it just be quadrennially like Copa America, Euros, Asian Cup and the OFC nations cup?

I know the Gold Cup is every 2 as well but at least they stick it in the summer and the big players don't go to every other one anyway.

This is 3 tournaments in 4 years FFS :lol:

Tbf, I also lobbied for 2013 to be skipped, when the plan to change to odd years came about (I'm now happy it wasn't, due to our victory). I have said that this was an unnecessary money decision by Hayatou, but it has now been two years, which is the gap that has existed since before most of the Sub Saharan countries had their independence.

• 2 months later...

ACoN rocked by Ebola panic.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/16/morocco-africa-cup-of-nations-ebola-withdraw

The venue for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations finals is in major doubt after the proposed hosts, Morocco, reiterated its fears over the Ebola outbreak on the continent.

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) last week received a letter from the Moroccan government last week asking for the tournament to be called off and had agreed to discuss the plans at the next executive committee meeting on 2 November. The prospective hosts proposed either postponing the tournament until next year or allowing them to switch to the 2017 edition instead.

However, despite reports on the African website supersport.com which quoted a source from the country’s ministry of sport on Thursday claiming that Morocco has now officially withdrawn in order to “preserve the safety of our citizens”, Sports Minister Mohamed Ouzzine moved to clarify the situation on Thursday but admitted they will follow the recommendations of the World Health Organisation.

• 3 weeks later...

Decision day is tomorrow.

A decision over whether Morocco will host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) tournament is expected on Monday after a day of meetings between the Confederation of African Football (Caf) and Moroccan authorities.

The north African country asked for the tournament – due to begin on 17 January – to be postponed due to the risk of the spread of the Ebola virus affecting western Africa.

According to reports from the Algeria Press Service, the executive committee of the Caf met the federation’s president, Issa Hayatou, the Algerian Football Federation president, Mohamed Rauraua, and the Egyptian CAF delegate, Hani Abourida, on Sunday.

After recommendations from the national Health Ministry and the World Health Organisation (WHO), the Moroccan Ministry of Sport had asked for the tournament to be postponed to an unspecified date.

“Our concern is the health of Africa and, based on WHO reports and guidelines, we have to listen,” said the sports minister, Mohamed Ouzzine.

“Zero safety does not exist but one has to take the necessary precautions so that the coming tournament will be a football feast, bringing together our African brothers. But given the current Ebola situation we don’t think such a feast can take place as expected.”

However, the Manchester City and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Touré, who played in his club side’s 1-0 victory over Manchester United on Sunday, believes the tournament should take place as scheduled.

“Me, I’m not really afraid,” Touré told French radio station Europe 1 on Saturday. “A very strong psychosis exists about this epidemic. The CAN is very important for Africa. It needs to take place.”

I assume their ability to host the world club championship in December will also be questioned.

Why? The story here is that they have expressed concerns about other African teams/fans travelling to their country, because it's an Africa-wide competition.

It's on.

The Africa Cup of Nations will take place early next year as planned despite concerns over the ongoing threat of the Ebola virus.

Hosts Morocco had asked for the tournament to be moved to a later date due to concerns an influx of thousands of supporters into the area could spread the virus which has killed almost 5,000 people in West Africa.

But following a meeting with Moroccan officials, Confederation of African Football (CAF) media director Junior Binyam confirmed the event is still scheduled to take place as planned from January 17 to February 8.

As a Kenyan I am desperate to see my country qualify for this tournament in my lifetime. We're absolutely fucking miles away though  :lol: even though this is one of the best squads we've had for a while (Wanyama, Mariga, Oliech, Asika are all good players), the KFF (our FA), the government and football 'diplomats' in the country are all fighting for control of the national team. Absolute farce>

Regardless I'm still looking forward to the tournament, some good sides in there and Morocco's a beautiful country.