Africa 'Copa' of Nations 2015 - Ivory Coast Champions

Toon Hoser

The defending champions are Nigeria, who did not qualify this time.

http://i.imgur.com/DcpP1zA.gif

:lol: I cannot wait until Keshi finally goes, so we can build up the team again. I'm not too worried, SE is never down or up for too long and the last few years were fun until Keshi's idiocy fully came to roost. Nigeria's record in this competition is still ridiculous, though. Off my head, there have been 11 ACNs since 94 and we have won twice, failed to participate/ four times, and finished 2nd or 3rd in four tournaments. Never boring :lol:.

This should be a very interesting tournament, though. Algeria favorites I suppose, but every group is wide open. A and B are the two weaker groups, and all eight teams have a chance to surprise and make a deep run, IMO. Both the Congos looked very competitive in qualifying ( Congo beat Nigeria away in Calabar while DRC went to CIV and scored four goals en route to victory), Burkinabe and Zambia were in the last two finals, CV and EG have good imports from Spain and Portugal and play good football, etc. Groups C and D are for heavyweights. Ghana and Algeria are in the same group and I expect one to go out because Senegal are always a tough side and South Africa are playing their best football in years and should have beat us twice in qualifying. In D, Finke has fully proved me wrong because Cameroon have maybe been the best side in Africa since the WC dumping the likes of Eto'o, Song, and BAE for younger blood. Cote D'Ivoire are still the most talented team. Guinea and Mali usually underachieve but are always threatening.

Anyway, I am supporting DR Congo this time. Hopefully, they go far but don't win, so I don't have to hear about it. It would be nice for Ghana and Cameroon to crash out early. I have a feeling CIV will win now that Drogba is gone. :lol:

Cote D'Ivoire lost 2-0 to Sweden reserves

And scraped by in a match against a Nigeria side made up of only local players. I don't put too much stock in friendlies before major tournaments.

Didn't Keshi quit Nigeria a couple of months ago? Seem to recall reading about it.

It is complicated. :lol: Things have gone crazy since the World Cup, with the NFF falling apart and FIFA trying to ban us. Sorry, for the paragraph.

Essentially, his contract was not renewed after the World Cup, so he has not really been Nigeria's coach since then. With all the chaos, there was little time to get a new coach, so he managed the first four games of the qualification program (because he was a "patriot") and did terribly, winning one game out of four. At this point he was "sacked" (despite never having been coach in the first place), with the intention of hiring a foreign manager. However, the president decided to override the NFF's decision and ordered Keshi to coach the last two games. After a credible win at Congo to out them in good position to qualify, they choked to a draw against South Africa. Keshi was removed from his position at this point, and we have not had a coach since this time. However recently it appears the FA are offering him a contract to once again become manager.....

Forgot how much I hate this tournament :lol:

:thup:

Zambia-DR Congo is a decent game thus far. The quality is just OK, but it has been played at a great pace. We went down within two minutes after some really poor defending and keeping, but have been the better team since. Mbokani of Dynamo Kiev missed a ridiculous sitter after Mweene (who is now bald, and may be suffering from a Samson effect) simply dropped the ball in front of him.

Bolasie has been dangerous throughout, best player on the pitch along with Rainford Kalaba. I'm not sure how he never made it in Europe. Hope we can grab at least a point here.

GOAL! Nice finish from from Bolasie after another poor giveaway from Zambia. They should go on to win this. Kidiaba still bouncing on his arse after all goals, not as much airtime at 38, though. :lol:

Do you have family from Congo, Baba?

My girl is from DR Congo, so until the time when that arrangement ends, they are forcefully my second team along with Bosnia.

GOAL! Nice finish from from Bolasie after another poor giveaway from Zambia. They should go on to win this. Kidiaba still bouncing on his arse after all goals, not as much airtime at 38, though. :lol:

Do you have family from Congo, Baba?

My girl is from DR Congo, so until the time when that arrangement ends, they are forcefully my second team along with Bosnia.

:lol: :thup:

Only seen the last ten minutes of this match, but Ghana look very poor. Honestly, their squad at this tournament is not very impressive and very young. Senegal should bring on Cisse, they are getting decent chances. Diouf missed an unbelievably simple on ten minutes ago.

I hope Bafana*2 take something off of Algeria tonight. I am tired of the narrative that they are suddenly favourites and by far the best African team. It is a good team, but they achieved the exact same result as Nigeria at the World Cup and haven't won a match at ACN since 2010.

EDIT: Sow on instead. Senegal have an abundance of strikers, tbf.