Crystal Palace manager

Mick

A 1 in 4 striker from France. No need to tell fibs.

His years playing upfront he was 1 in 2. Pretty sure I read that when he first signed. He previously used to play out wide, but that was at least three years prior to joining us.

I think the very best he's ever managed over a full season is about 1 in 3. I don't think for one second he'd do as well as that in the PL.

Anyway, who cares? Cisse and Perez are better players and better strikers.

Whos better Gouffran or Riviere?

His years playing upfront he was 1 in 2. Pretty sure I read that when he first signed. He previously used to play out wide, but that was at least three years prior to joining us.

I think the very best he's ever managed over a full season is about 1 in 3. I don't think for one second he'd do as well as that in the PL.

Gouffran in his "proper" position. Haven't seen much in Riviere at all.

I always remember that Europa game against  Benfica.  His approach to chasing a 2 goal defecit was to keep it tight for 70 minutes and then try to create something after.  That's what he actually said about it and it seems to be reflected in a lot of games we play.

Bad example really, that was the correct approach for that particular scenario (cos if we conceded an away goal we needed to score 4 to win it in the 90).

It's the only time in four years that approach has been merited though and we keep seeing it at home against dross like QPR, Norwich, Reading etc every season, which is the real crime.

I always remember that Europa game against  Benfica.  His approach to chasing a 2 goal defecit was to keep it tight for 70 minutes and then try to create something after.  That's what he actually said about it and it seems to be reflected in a lot of games we play.

Bad example really, that was the correct approach for that particular scenario (cos if we conceded an away goal we needed to score 4 to win it in the 90).

It's the only time in four years that approach has been merited though and we keep seeing it at home against dross like QPR, Norwich, Reading etc every season, which is the real crime.

I still don't think it was merited, we wasted 70% of our opportunity to win the tie.  I remember it split opinion a lot on here but I'll never change my mind about it.

It's absolutely typical of his mindset though - the team only ever has 2 gears, either bore the absolute tits off everyone and kill the game as a spectacle or commit a few players forward, go (relatively) gung-ho and leave gaps at the back and often get picked off.  The man has no idea of or inclination towards controlling a game, but when it works like it has recently it makes him look great in the eyes of all of the neutrals that glance at the results / table and don't have to sit through it week after sodding week.

Riviere looks to have more potential from what I've seen, even if he's only shown flashes. Whether he'll be able to turn that potential into goals is another matter, but he might look better after a season in the premier, and a bit more support up front when he does play.

If that Benfica team were as good as Pardew thought, it may have been merited.  When you see how bad they actually were that night, the approach should have been much more fluid during the game.  They practically fell to pieces when we did attack them, but we left it too late.  I'm not saying we should have been all guns blazing, but 70 minutes is too late when you need at least two goals.  How often have we ever scored two goals in twenty minutes?  It won't be very often under Pardew.  I'd say if we were solid till half time, then fair enough but 70 minutes is late by any standards and an ultra conservative approach.  Then again I've never been partial to any of this ultra defensive stuff, even for portions of the game.  More often than not it just brings pressure on the defence, allows the other team to gain control over the game and confidence with it.

Scored a goal every 2.6 games in 2011-2012 season and a goal every 2.2 games in 2012-2013.  Its hard to judge him as a striker here when he's never been given a chance up front.  Granted he's playing like shit at the moment, but playing out of position for years can do that to you.

:thup: Increasingly the only gameplan we employ, just look at the proportion of goals scored in the second half this season. In fairness we are committing a few players forward against tired legs in the latter stages but the first 60 minutes or so are so often a total and utter waste of time.

True actually, the gameplan has changed, it used to be to try and get ahead early on then batten down the hatches and hope Norwich/Stoke/Wolves can't break us down. Think he's realised that people go home happier with a late goal then an early one despite the fact they've been utterly bored for the same amount of time.

It's definitely a better gameplan to do that as the majority of those sides will then be playing for a point for the whole game, whereas if we score early, then they attack us. Not saying it's the right approach in the slightest, but it allows him to come out with spew like 'we controlled the game' whilst never threatening the opposition.

I will say to his credit, what we have played recently is a hybrid 4-3-3 in posession, 4-4-1-1 when not, which helps us on the ball. I thought it might just be Abeid dropping between the CB's as a part of his natural game but Raylor and then Colback did it too.

Scored a goal every 2.6 games in 2011-2012 season and a goal every 2.2 games in 2012-2013.  Its hard to judge him as a striker here when he's never been given a chance up front.  Granted he's playing like shit at the moment, but playing out of position for years can do that to you.

Not when you factor in the games he played for us that season. Either way, he had 8 goals in France when he signed for us at the end of January. It doesn't bode well.

Not when you factor in the games he played for us that season. Either way, he had 8 goals in France when he signed for us at the end of January. It doesn't bode well.

Not that I'd ever want Gouffran up front for us unless there's a major injury crisis, but didn't he score 6 goals for us last season from the left wing?  I know that's not a vast amount, but it is more than most of our players managed in what is almost a defensive winger role.  That suggests to me he must have at least some finishing ability.  I can't imagine his conversion rate being that bad, because he just can't have been getting that many shots.

The criminal thing about the Benfica game was the start. So timid. The way we played they where so comfortably and content with themselves by the time we decided to attack they had all the conviction in the world that they would win. If for just 15 minutes - high pressing try to get an early goal. Set-up a real nervous finish if we could keep it tight.

I miss just giving it a proper go. Aye, Benfica were better than us but they could be rattled.

Guest antz1uk

That's the whole issue, i'm not sure Benfica were better than us, just unfortunately we're the Bi-Polar version of a football team, if we had given it a go for more than 15/20mins i think we could have beaten them, he just sends us out with so much depression

The criminal thing about the Benfica game was the start. So timid. The way we played they where so comfortably and content with themselves by the time we decided to attack they had all the conviction in the world that they would win. If for just 15 minutes - high pressing try to get an early goal. Set-up a real nervous finish if we could keep it tight.

I miss just giving it a proper go. Aye, Benfica were better than us but they could be rattled.

The way Benfica reacted to going behind backs this up, they were shanking the ball out for throw ins, needlessly committing fouls and conceding possession, they were shitting themselves for a good 10-15mins after we scored.

I can imagine Pardew having some kind of aneurysm trying to fit Sissoko and a fit again Siem de Jong in the team.  Too much fret!

He'll drop Cabella and put Sissoko on the wing, the only thing more certain is death.

History says he would, but he'd be fucking mad to do it now esp after everything that has come about with him being SO good in his natural role that many of us who've watched him for ages have been saying.

The way Benfica reacted to going behind backs this up, they were shanking the ball out for throw ins, needlessly committing fouls and conceding possession, they were shitting themselves for a good 10-15mins after we scored.

Aye we had the better of it in the first half on the counter - we'll rarely see a team so set-up to get countered. But we where equally as bad when we conceded. And they didn't get out of second gear in the return leg.

Across their two EL finals they played some fantastic stuff and certainly showed a level of quality I haven't seen from a Newcastle side since SBR.

Pardew tends to stick when he's winning. It's the first bad loss which will determine long-term shifts in thought. I'm almost certain Siss has replaced Cabaye in Pardew eyes. 

i think this is right, i reckon some other daft cunt will be designated to protect the fullback