Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Splitting hairs man - anything a manager does to alter or adjust or exploit or whatever you want to call it in order to get a result (be it 1 point or 3 points, or Draw or Win) is tactical, IMO.

1. Not a tactical mastermind doesn't equate to 'shit tactician'. It's just not his strongest attribute.

2. The ZM piece further proves my point. His strongest attribute again - is clearly finding systems to suit his best players. That's his long term approach.

3. And twice - that supremely talented side where embarrassed in the CL tactically by 2 FAR inferior sides in terms of ability. In both instances an early change might've prevented the comebacks. But his strategies are largely around his own sides best players.

In  any case he's one of the best to do it. Just not s tactical mastermind.

Guest Howaythetoon

There are not many 'tactical masterminds' in the game and to be fair to TCD I'd agree that the likes of Ancelotti are not that great tactically and thank f*** for that. Fergie wasn't great tactically either. I'd say Mourinho and Benitez are both tactical masterminds who can win a game or influence it by their ability to out think others and by way of 'tactics', and while they are obviously great managers, I'd always prefer an Ancelotti over a Mourinho. The former's Chelsea side was fantstic to watch as were Milan.

Ironically, football is spoiled by many managers trying to be tactical or adopting certain 'tactics' when they are mostly ill equipped to do so which just worsens things. Pardew is a classic example. He tries to win games tactically but he's f***ing clueless tactically so it all goes to s***. Meanwhile managers like KK who don't really use tactics of put much importance on them, do wonders with players, teams and results.

Football is predominatly about ability, confidence, and man management with tactics way down the list. Combine the lot and you will win the lot, hence Mourinho etc. give him say this NUFC side, however, and he would do well to get into the top 6 to be honest.

The likes of Ancelotti need top players to do their stuff of course, but they don't rely massively on tactics, because they allow for freedom of expression, ideas, to work around players, and that's why, for me, they are the very best of managers who can go into different teams and leagues and be a success. Primarily it's all about the players to be honest and not f***ing tactics.

Love it when you see a little tactical move though, it doesn't have to be super complex. Like when Spurs used Eriksen to pull Matic all over against Chelsea, there are probably loads of those little things going on that never get highlighted.

Also, being tactically aware doesnt mean you can't be flexible depending on opposition and the players you have. I'm fact you should be able to do that if you are wedded to one way of playing.

Players would generally be clueless without someone to instruct them. Letting them just play wouldnt work.

There are not many 'tactical masterminds' in the game and to be fair to TCD I'd agree that the likes of Ancelotti are not that great tactically and thank f*** for that. Fergie wasn't great tactically either. I'd say Mourinho and Benitez are both tactical masterminds who can win a game or influence it by their ability to out think others and by way of 'tactics', and while they are obviously great managers, I'd always prefer an Ancelotti over a Mourinho. The former's Chelsea side was fantstic to watch as were Milan.

Ironically, football is spoiled by many managers trying to be tactical or adopting certain 'tactics' when they are mostly ill equipped to do so which just worsens things. Pardew is a classic example. He tries to win games tactically but he's f***ing clueless tactically so it all goes to s***. Meanwhile managers like KK who don't really use tactics of put much importance on them, do wonders with players, teams and results.

Football is predominatly about ability, confidence, and man management with tactics way down the list. Combine the lot and you will win the lot, hence Mourinho etc. give him say this NUFC side, however, and he would do well to get into the top 6 to be honest.

The likes of Ancelotti need top players to do their stuff of course, but they don't rely massively on tactics, because they allow for freedom of expression, ideas, to work around players, and that's why, for me, they are the very best of managers who can go into different teams and leagues and be a success. Primarily it's all about the players to be honest and not f***ing tactics.

And yet Pardew out tacticked Mourinho a few weeks back. As he did last season.  Thus making TCD's original zero tactical acumen even more bollocks.

Unfortunately Pardew's tactics were ultra negative virtually all of the time. And were unsustainable due to the reliance of the opposition not making the most of all of the possession we ceded to them.

People keep talking about Mourinho's parking the bus all the time, but that's more of a technique than a sole direction of his pieces. A means to an end where he knows exactly when to strike and withhold depending on his opponent's weaknesses. Sometimes it doesn't work, but his silverware cabinet shows it works most of the time, and is no one-trick-pony kinda stuff.

Guest firetotheworks

Rui Costa was such a lush player man. I frigging loved the bloke yet somehow I've forgotten about him for years.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW, the greatest line up I've ever seen is

Victor Valdes

Dani Alves

Gerard Pique

Carlos Puyol

Eric Abidal

Sergio Busquets/Javier Mascherano

Xavi Hernandez

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi

Samuel Eto'o

Thierry Henry

The impact that team had in 08/09 (was it?) on me was unreal. I'd never seen football on that level before, even though the peak of it was probably the 5-0 vs Real Madrid with an altered front line.

"I think, hold on, I didn't sign Peter Beardsley to tell him to track back. I didn't sign Ruel Fox to ask him to play any different from the way he did at Norwich. Or Robert Lee. I bought him because he's a talent. I'm not going to ask them to change. You go out and you take people on and you challenge them to play football and if you're better than them and you have a bit of luck, you get your reward."  - KK

"I think, hold on, I didn't sign Peter Beardsley to tell him to track back. I didn't sign Ruel Fox to ask him to play any different from the way he did at Norwich. Or Robert Lee. I bought him because he's a talent. I'm not going to ask them to change. You go out and you take people on and you challenge them to play football and if you're better than them and you have a bit of luck, you get your reward."  - KK

Poetry, what a philosophy...

When we lost that league back then, it didn't hurt so much (it did, but in retrospect), the fact we were playing the best football the league had seen and everyone else appreciated us was so rewarding in itself.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Sometimes you just need to allow good players to play, it might sound trite but the likes of Pardew doesn't get it.

It reminds me of a comment from Bill Shankly, Keegan's old manager at Liverpool of course.

"Football is a simple game, made complicated by fools"

:pardsgrin:

Victor Valdes

Dani Alves

Gerard Pique

Carlos Puyol

Eric Abidal

Xavi Hernandez

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi

Samuel Eto'o

Thierry Henry

The impact that team had in 08/09 (was it?) on me was unreal. I'd never seen football on that level before, even though the peak of it was probably the 5-0 vs Real Madrid with an altered front line.

Got to be the best performance I've seen from any time attacking wise against opposition of that standard.

:pardsgrin:

Massive difference, KK allowed his players to attack teams and express themselves and their abilities.  pardew asks players to hold the formation at all costs, sit back and with a bit of luck nick one.

Victor Valdes

Dani Alves

Gerard Pique

Carlos Puyol

Eric Abidal

Xavi Hernandez

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi

Samuel Eto'o

Thierry Henry

Got to be the best performance I've seen from any time attacking wise against opposition of that standard.

Played em off the park. The first and only time Mourinho thought he could go (somewhat) toe-to-toe with Barca. That Madrid side was in superb form too at the time.

Alonso & Carvalho where awful that night. I remember thinking Alonso would always need a proper DM alongside him against real top opposition. But in the last few years his defensive work (closing space, tackling) and ability to cope with being pressed very hard has improved tremendously.

Sometimes you just need to allow good players to play, it might sound trite but the likes of Pardew doesn't get it.

It reminds me of a comment from Bill Shankly, Keegan's old manager at Liverpool of course.

"Football is a simple game, made complicated by fools"

Brilliant ! A classic Shankly quote and like most of them, straight to the point and correct..!