Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Guest thenorthumbrian

What I want to see happen to Collymore doesn't belong on an internet forum. It's nothing remotely sexual, either.

Talkshite radio have a policy of winding people up to encourage listeners to phone in.

In depth debate it isn't.

For a start Collymore is a former team mate of Pardew so will probably stick up for him as part of the "players union".

Secondly Talksport is designed to get you wound up and call in. I quite like a number of there presenters (Danny Kelly for example is excellent) but Collymore makes his living by being "outspoken" to generate debate. Ignore him and whatever you do, don't call up to argue with him!

I think Ashley's just trolling now, he's winding us up for the Hull game, it's all in his plan to make Pardew quit, save on the beans.

Said this all along, why pay him off with a wedge when he will have to quit for free after saturday

I've been a long time lurker here, enjoying to read the posts and take in the opinion of fans committed to the well being of the club. It's so much better than hearing the opinions that get dredged up by mainstream media, as they interview people till they get the idiotic opinions to suit their storyline.  I don't usually want to get too involved in posting, but I feel like I have so much to vent now about out current situation.  So hopefully I'll be forgiven for writing this ridiculously long post about Pardew that covers a lot of well trodden ground.

I've been a Newcastle fan for about 23 years now.  I don't remember the dark dark days of years before that, although I've heard plenty about them, but I do remember many depressing days after Keegan left as manager for the first time. In that time I have never seen the fans hound out a manager unfairly.  Every single time it has proved to be the completely correct call.  Dalglish was doing terrible when he left.  Gullit was a disaster and Souness just about made every fan I know lose the will to live, selling our best players and telling us about graft and commitment.  Roeder wasn't hated, but started to do poorly and Allardyce was another disaster.  After the turmoil that followed we eventually ended up with Hughton, who despite ending up a bit out of his depth was never disliked by fans.  Every one I speak to knew without doubt that  Pardew would be a disaster.  West Ham fans I know laughed, as did Southampton fans.  They all told me he would eventually relegate us and I agreed with them, because I'd seen his teams play plenty of times.

Alan Pardew makes even our worst managers of past years look like Guardiola and Mourinho combined.  Yet despite this, despite nearly relegating the team and despite taking us to some of our worst ever runs of form, we're told that he's a good manager and that it's we the fans who are wrong.  How many times are the fans of any footbally club actually wrong?  It happens rarely in my experience.  Fans don't get on the back of winning managers.  They don't call for the sacking of managers playing attractive football either, even if performance is a bit below expectations.  Despite this, every time a manager is under pressure we're subjected to pundits telling everyone about impatient fans and how the manager needs more time.  It's only after the sacking that they accept that maybe it was time.  This is particularly prominent when they refer to Newcastle fans, as pundits love to trot out every cliché in the known universe.  “They're impatient up there.”  “They expect Champions League Football every year.” “They think they should challenge for the league.” “It's a fish bowl” “It's a one club city.” “They get agitated easily if the game starts badly.”  Judging by this you'd think any Newcastle fan was from some different inhuman species that bares no similarities with the rest of humanity.  Yet when Man Utd ousted Moyes it was all “Well he hasn't got the results the great club deserves.”  It's this kind of attitude in the media that has also played a small role in keeping Pardew in his job so long.  They refuse to lay any blame at Pardew's door and even now find it difficult to really blame him.  Most fans I know would have rather had twelth place last year rather than tenth, if it meant more attractive football and a more balanced season.  Champions League? I'd settle for the fifth round of the FA Cup for once if we at least tried in the competition.

Pardew has now gone through about three different teams of players in his four years here.  He buys players, plays them out of position and ultimately ruins them before sending them on their way.  To listen to pundits call our players heartless and then refuse to blame Pardew for it defies belief.  If every player in almost four years has failed in motivation for the most part it is the manager.  What do pundits thing a manager's job actually is?  They must think they turn up, pick a team sheet and it's job done.  Look at the difference Pulis made to Palace last season.  I'm not a fan of his style, but he proved that a good manager actually motivates.  How many times has a new manager created a boost in performance immediately?  That shows that attitude of the manager is vital in getting players to perform and making the team more or at least equal to the sum of its parts.  Glenn Roeder is no great manager but we were so good short term with him in charge, solely because the dark cloud Souness cast over the club was lifted.  I feel like exactly the same would happen if Pardew left.  Anyone would do better. Stick the kit man in charge, he literally can't do worse. We're losing almost every game!

I'd almost certainly take someone like Sherwood at this point.  Partly because he isn't a slimy arse kisser.  Sherwood would try to attack and if he failed in the job we'd be able to get rid of him because he's combustible.  He'd have an argument with someone and get sacked or quit.  Pardew is clinging on for dear life.  I'm not even convinced a poisonous atmosphere will get rid of him.  The man has no pride in himself to be so selfless.  He must be the luckiest man alive to still be in a job.  Imagine a normal person getting everything wrong in a job, having their staff clueless as to their jobs, hitting targets to the bare minimum while also damaging the companies reputation.  Not a single one of us as fans would survive in a normal job doing that.  This is before we mention the headbutt's, referee pushes and swearing at other coaches.

Part of me doesn't want to see any human being subjected to what Pardew went through against Cardiff, or what he is likely to go through against Hull.  He's just a person doing a bad job, even if he's not a good person, that's a lot of abuse to take.  At the same time, it's in his power to walk away from it and any reasonable human being would have.  Also it's well within the owners power not to leave him subjected to that, but Ashley has left him more than open to it by refusing to sack him.  So when people blame the fans for what happens on Saturday, which will inevitably happen in some parts of the media, we should all remember that the club have done nothing short of insight this reaction in the fans.  It doesn't make it right necessarily, but it makes it avoidable and the club have almost run into it like a head on collision.  It's going to be awful to watch on Saturday as the atmosphere is lively for all the wrong reasons.  I can't bring myself to want the team to lose on a match day(Call if Cognitive Dissonance maybe), I just can't, but I understand why many do and I definitely think that whatever result happens on Saturday, it'll be for the greater good if it eventually leads to Pardew's sacking.

I sit writing this, watching the Hull game, desperately sad to see Ben Arfa get on the pitch for Hull.  I so want to see him revive his career and hope Pardew hasn't ruined it for him.  He seems like someone who needed the arm round the shoulder management of a Robson and got the “Track back graft hard, skill is nothing” management of a Souness or Pardew instead.  All the better if he'd scored the winner, to prove he should never have been let go.  I firmly believe that was the last straw for a lot of fans.  It signalled the intent of a manager who prizes graft over skill, tackle over passing and takes football back about fifty years in quality.  Most people (many included from here) knew this was blatantly obvious going back to Mullins over Mascherano and Tevez on the bench days at West Ham.  He has no ability to get the best out of talented players.  He has them brought in, uses them up, knocks the skill out of the ones he can, then needs to send them on their way when team performance drops.  He's the kind of manager football no longer needs.  At least when he had Carroll or Ba the long ball rubbish made some sense.  To see him having the defence send the same balls up to Cisse after Ba left was just criminally poor.  To think that we failed to score from a corner for 102 games.  It defies belief.  Surely that is a world record of some sort.  Most teams could probably have blindfolded a player, got him to randomly punt the ball in the direction of the box and it still wouldn't have taken 102 games.  That's almost the directions and continuation of someone teaching a team not to score from corners.

People can blame Mike Ashley all they want (He's the long term problem for me), but the main thing he's to blame for now is keeping Pardew in charge.  Yes the squad should be better.  Yes players have been sold repeatedly.  The bottom line though is that when the window closes, the squad is the squad.  Every season bar the fifth place season, it has been a better squad than where it has finished in the league.  So most seasons Pardew has underperformed drastically.  Pundits are on our squad and new players already, but it's just ridiculous.  Our squad is better than bottom of the league, it's better than 4-0 at Southampton with no one trying.  It has also always been better than losing 21 games by more than 3-0.  This is all without taking all his other unbelievable terribleness all time records into account.

I would never wish ill on anyone, as I won't with Pardew.  When he leaves Newcastle he can get whatever job he gets for all I care, even if the media say he's the best thing since sliced bread and he gets a better job.  I don't care at all.  I have never wanted him in the Newcastle job and I still don't, so I'm hopeful, but not expectant that he won't be in it much longer.  I simply don't trust Ashley to do the right thing though, not until the line in the sand marked “too late” is some dot left in the distance.

Apologies again for the simply ridiculous length post.  Basically boiled over at this point.

Ashley is laughing his cock at us all, Pardew will be here to Christmas if not longer - any other club would have sacked him by now and as for nothing being done about Caver and Woodman just totally demonstrates the attitude he has to the fans. I keep saying it but the only way to get anything done is vote with your feet not one or two thousand but twenty or thirty thousand. Until that happens he will just keep on going laughing his cock off again and again

No surprise to see word of Sherwood being interested seeping through. Such a snake move. The kind of thing Pardew would do really. Similar characters in a way, although Sherwood is far more talented. He will be annoying though, for sure. But far far better manager.

al last. its been ages since I've looked forward to home game as much as this. cant wait for Saturday.

gonna watch some of the lowlights of the past 9 months, have a quick gander at sackpardew.com, few beers and let battle commence!

Guest Number 37

No surprise to see word of Sherwood being interested seeping through. Such a snake move. The kind of thing Pardew would do really. Similar characters in a way, although Sherwood is far more talented. He will be annoying though, for sure. But far far better manager.

I agree with Gino14. Sherwood doesn't seem one to back down from confrontation, would be an exciting proposition, especially if Ferdinand came to help coach our strikers.

Spot on Gino. With the exception of the Sherwood bit. I can see myself loathing him very quickly. His footballing views don't agree with me ("defenders are for defending, attackers are for attacking").

I'd still take it over Pardew. In a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure how long I'd be happy but I'm a miserable hard-to-please sod :)

Welcome Gino and great first post! Always feels a bit weird learning there's lurkers, easy to forget this is a public forum. :lol:

Thanks! I enjoy reading what other fans think, but I've been resisting joining because I feel like staying away from a forum environment was helping me control the rage of how things are going.  The more I think about it the angrier I get.  :lol: