Affordable football

AlanSkÃrare

It has been brought up on here before but in the light of today's BBC suervey I want to hear peoples thoughts on the ticket pricing strategy currently in place at the club.

Lowering ticket prices has one purpose in my mind: keep filling the stadium despite offering a lower quality product (the shit football). They've simply analysed their customers' needs and realised that their product was always going to be too weak to keep attracting the same people.

It might seem very cynical as the ticket pricing is widely regarded as something very generous and good by people outside of the club.

Put it in the context of Mike Ashley's business logic and it appears to be his most calculated and dangerous strategic approach: swapping supporters for customers.

This is what could seriously harm the club in the long term.

Guest neesy111

It has been brought up on here before but in the light of today's BBC suervey I want to hear peoples thoughts on the ticket pricing strategy currently in place at the club.

Lowering ticket prices has one purpose in my mind: keep filling the stadium despite offering a lower quality product (the shit football). They've simply analysed their customers' needs and realised that their product was always going to be too weak to keep attracting the same people.

It might seem very cynical as the ticket pricing is widely regarded as something very generous and good by people outside of the club.

Put it in the context of Mike Ashley's business logic and it appears to be his most calculated and dangerous strategic approach: swapping supporters for customers.

This is what could seriously harm the club in the long term.

:thup:

The club has lost a good amount of core supporters since Ashley took charge.

They promote it as some sort of altruistic measure where in reality it is only to fill the stadium because so many have cancelled their season tickets.

It perpetuates the myth that everyone is happy with our lot because the attendances are still high.

He knows exactly what he's up to.  Drive out swathes of the hardcore support and replace them with less discerning seat-fillers, strengthening his control on the matchday experience as well as increasing merchandise sales. Meanwhile it makes him look good in the media - I fully expect the likes of the BBC to start using price cuts as a defence of the way he runs the club.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of people on an average matchday are basically there making up the numbers. The place is always packed with stag dos and birthdays.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of people on an average matchday are basically there making up the numbers. The place is always packed with stag dos and birthdays.

Newcastle will always get the numbers through the gates based on things like stag do's etc. We're one of those clubs that people generally like so if they're visiting the city for the weekend then it's easy to get tickets for the game.

Being a Dortmund fan right about now sounds absolutely awesome, and having just come across this article yesterday, this thread seems to be the perfect place for it:

----

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29624410

Borussia Dortmund's slogan "echte liebe" - or "true love" - says it all. The final whistle goes at the majestic Westfalenstadion. Dortmund have lost at home.

And yet none of the players disappear down the tunnel. None of the fans leave the ground. Defiant, determined, the 25,000 fans who religiously flock to the mythical south stand continue to serenade their team.

Manager Jurgen Klopp joins his players on the edge of the penalty area, where they stand for five minutes in awe, gazing up at one of European football's great sights, the "Gelbe Wand" (Yellow Wall), a sea of luminous shirts, scarves and flags. Towers of smoke rise from pockets of fans and waves of noise cascades down the steep terrace and onto the players.

This love is unconditional.

Moments such as this are why Dortmund are one of the last great romantic clubs. The tickets - and beer - are cheap, the atmosphere is raw and seductive and fans, not finance, come first.

When Dortmund reached the 2013 Champions League final, the club received 502,567 applications for 24,042 tickets. The entire city has a population of 580,956. True love, indeed.

Football is all encompassing here, it reaches ever facet of life. One fan even leaves the club shop having just bought a Borussia Dortmund-branded lawn mower. The chance to experience this love affair is attracting more than 1,000 fans from England to every home match.

It is a scarcely believable figure, but walk around the stadium and British accents are audible among the 80,000 at Signal Iduna Park. "We jump on the Channel Tunnel train," says Matthew Gerrard, from Kent.

"We make a weekend of it. With tickets, accommodation, transport, this trip will cost £65. When you think it cost me £51 to see the Arsenal game last season, you can see the benefits."

Another group soaking up the beer and bratwurst outside the stadium are wearing Stoke shirts, while there are also fans from Aston Villa, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Port Vale. When you discover that the majority of Dortmund's 55,000 season-ticket holders have paid an average of £9 to see this match, this influx begins to make perfect sense.

Jack, a Chelsea fan, is here with two of his friends from London.

"Prices are too high in England," he says. "But here, everything is cheap. It's a better experience for the fan and the atmosphere is incredible."

Dortmund are increasingly aware of the English invasion. The club has even begun to conduct stadium tours in English. "It's amazing," says marketing director Carsten Cramer. "It's always nice when English fans tell me that including the cost of a flight, two beers and a ticket, they do not pay more than a match in England.

"Why are tickets cheap? Football is part of people's lives and we want to open the doors for all of society. We need the people, they spend their hearts, their emotions with us. They are the club's most important asset."

It is a phrase that many clubs use, but two stories demonstrate why it is, perhaps, far more than words here in Dortmund. In recent months, the club's caterers asked them to increase beer prices for the first time in three years. But Dortmund said no.

"What is the economic sense for the club to increase the price by 10 cents?" Cramer added. "For the overall economic success of the club it is not important to increase the price of a litre of a beer. It is still money, but not a lot to the club. But it does affect our fans, if they are spending their money match after match."

... (continued on link)

Alas what they don't understand is if they charged top dollar and fans knew it was going in to developing the team/club they'd happily pay it for the most part.

Exactly.

It's the same reason Sports Direct sell Lonsdale products rather than Superdry. Another case of Ashley doing what he knows and wants.

We're being treated as a business and it's so wrong.

He knows exactly what he's up to.  Drive out swathes of the hardcore support and replace them with less discerning seat-fillers, strengthening his control on the matchday experience as well as increasing merchandise sales. Meanwhile it makes him look good in the media - I fully expect the likes of the BBC to start using price cuts as a defence of the way he runs the club.

That stupid arsewipe on True- Faith who hosts the pod casts has already used this in a slight defence of AShley.

Knarls me that plumbs like this get air time.

Nearly shed a tear over that TBH, so tragic how fans in England are shafted from every direction.

Feel the same man, just read it and was gob-smacked. How can our clubs and FA be so greedy and out of touch with the fans compared to that.

Because at PL level they barely need match going fans anymore and they're coining it in so why would they? Football at the top level isn't passion anymore it's either business or a dick swinging contest for billionaires.

Because at PL level they barely need match going fans anymore and they're coining it in so why would they? Football at the top level isn't passion anymore it's either business or a dick swinging contest for billionaires.

Unfortunately this.

Alas what they don't understand is if they charged top dollar and fans knew it was going in to developing the team/club they'd happily pay it for the most part.

Or even if it was just worth going. Under Robson, non-ST holders would have to wait overnight outside the box office to get tickets for certain games. The few times I did it the queue had stretched around half the stadium by 9am. I don't doubt for a second it'd still be like that if we were giving it a proper go on the pitch.