Ched Evans - Not Guilty

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you genuinely believe you are innocent I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to say so, even after conviction.

He could issue some sort of 'I apologise for the harm caused inadvertently', but I doubt many people would welcome that.

This is it for me. As for the idea that he's being hounded from every job opportunity because of how he phrases things is f***ing ludicrous tbh. Saying "my infidelity" is stupid but it's not the reason he's being hunted down at every opportunity.  He's at the centre of a massive witch hunt, there's nothing else to it.

Every single interview I hear about the case involving someone from a group that campaigns against rape and violence against women etc specifically refers to the fact that he's shown no remorse or made any sort of apology. It's almost always the first thing they say in response to the question about whether he should be given a second chance. Like it or not, there are clearly a lot of emotions riding on what he has said since being convicted.

Michael Shields was convicted of murder in Bulgaria but all along he wanted to prove his innocence. During his time in prison I didn't hear him apologising or showing any remorse for the murder simply because he didn't do it. If Ched Evans believes he didn't rape the lass then there is no reason for him to apologise or show remorse.

You're missing my point. I don't think he should apologise for something he believes he didn't do. But there are ways and means of currying favour with the public and IMO he and his family and friends have done the complete opposite.

Lee Hughes is often cited as a player who was also convicted of a heinous crime yet was allowed to continue his career. Well the difference is he showed remorse.

I think it's almost certain that Evans was advised how to 'pitch' himself after his release.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick were imprisoned for causing death by dangerous driving and were able to resume their careers at Football League clubs. Whether or not you think Evans did it or agree with the terms of the conviction etc, this only goes to show how the media can whip people into a frenzy and highlight precisely what they want people to think/know about. There was barely any coverage of when those two got out of jail and started playing again.

Two players who actually killed people (indisputable) can get pro contracts again but someone who raped someone (disputable) shouldn't get one? Reeks of hypocrisy.

I cannot see how the people calling for him to be banned from football all together can get their wish, does that mean that anyone convicted of a sex offence should be banned from all forms of football? I bet there will be hundreds if not thousands of convicted sex offenders playing organised football at a lower level. If you ban Evans then surely you have to ban all of them too?

What next a full criminal records check to be completed before you sign for a local pub team?

If you genuinely believe you are innocent I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to say so, even after conviction.

He could issue some sort of 'I apologise for the harm caused inadvertently', but I doubt many people would welcome that.

This is it for me. As for the idea that he's being hounded from every job opportunity because of how he phrases things is f***ing ludicrous tbh. Saying "my infidelity" is stupid but it's not the reason he's being hunted down at every opportunity.  He's at the centre of a massive witch hunt, there's nothing else to it.

Every single interview I hear about the case involving someone from a group that campaigns against rape and violence against women etc specifically refers to the fact that he's shown no remorse or made any sort of apology. It's almost always the first thing they say in response to the question about whether he should be given a second chance. Like it or not, there are clearly a lot of emotions riding on what he has said since being convicted.

Michael Shields was convicted of murder in Bulgaria but all along he wanted to prove his innocence. During his time in prison I didn't hear him apologising or showing any remorse for the murder simply because he didn't do it. If Ched Evans believes he didn't rape the lass then there is no reason for him to apologise or show remorse.

You're missing my point. I don't think he should apologise for something he believes he didn't do. But there are ways and means of currying favour with the public and IMO he and his family and friends have done the complete opposite.

Lee Hughes is often cited as a player who was also convicted of a heinous crime yet was allowed to continue his career. Well the difference is he showed remorse.

I think it's almost certain that Evans was advised how to 'pitch' himself after his release.

Probably aye. If the aim was to help him back into society and back into professional football, they've done a pitiful job.

It's going to be interesting to see how things go at Oldham if he does eventually sign for them.

Fans, opposition fans, team mates, opposition players - he's in for a proper tough time like.

Probably aye. If the aim was to help him back into society and back into professional football, they've done a pitiful job.

It's a difficult PR exercise. I guess they thought if he maintains innocence some people will give him the benefit of the doubt and in time, as people moved on it may then opposition would have become less hostile.

The real problem for Evans is not the media but the football community. If football fans don't welcome him back he doesn't really have a lot of options. It's problematic because he can't go abroad whilst on licence.

Since he is appealing the decision, he can't really apologise because that could be seen as an admission of guilt. However, the campaign by his family and friends to prove his innocence has been quite aggressive and it surely would have been better to have concentrated on proving his innocence ahead of trying to resurrect his footballing career.

It's going to be interesting to see how things go at Oldham if he does eventually sign for them.

Fans, opposition fans, team mates, opposition players - he's in for a proper tough time like.

'She said no' too!

Apart from the selection of morons that will sing "he shags who he wants" which is obviously problematic

'She said no' too!

Apart from the selection of morons that will sing "he shags who he wants" which is obviously problematic

Aye and that's the problem with his job being football, its got wider implications than if he worked at a garage like

Wey exactly. It's a unique career and more than anything, it's a priviledge rather than a right.

We're not talking about him going to unload boxes in the warehouse at B&Q here.

Kind of depends on if you view your role as footballer as just kicking a ball around a pitch for 90 minutes, or as a wider community and representative role, visiting kids in hospitals, meeting and greeting at public events, being the face of the club sponsors etc - the kind of jobs where being on the sex offenders register would probably cause you issues or even bar you altogether, even if you're not famous.

I really don't think it should matter that he's a footballer and not stacking shelves. He's served his time and should be allowed to resume his life.

Why not? If he was a teacher, he wouldn't be allowed to go back.

I really don't think it should matter that he's a footballer and not stacking shelves. He's served his time and should be allowed to resume his life.

Yeah, but that would be because of laws that stop sex offenders working with children. As far as I'm aware there's not such law for most jobs.

Would he not be working near/around whatever clubs youth players? I'm not suggesting he's a pedophile btw lol

No idea TBH, I don't know the specific laws. I'm presuming it's not illegal for him to go back, as we wouldn't be discussing it if it was.

Yeah, but that would be because of laws that stop sex offenders working with children. As far as I'm aware there's not such law for most jobs.

It comes down to interpretation. The law on working with children was changed to "position of trust".

In my eyes, a footballer is in a "position of trust", especially with the amounts of work they do in the community these days and how the media portrays them.

I would be willing to show him some remorse with he showed some himself btw.

It comes down to interpretation. The law on working with children was changed to "position of trust".

In my eyes, a footballer is in a "position of trust", especially with the amounts of work they do in the community these days and how the media portrays them.

Can you clear up which context you are using position of trust. For example of position of trust may be an aggravating feature in a case, or a specific criminal offence. But I don't think there was a sexual offences prevention order made for Evans after conviction that prevents him from having contact with young people.

Can you clear up which context you are using position of trust. For example of position of trust may be an aggravating feature in a case, or a specific criminal offence. But I don't think there was a sexual offences prevention order made for Evans after conviction that prevents him from having contact with young people.

I'm using it generally to relate it to this case, as opposed to specifically for this case.

I believe a footballer is a "position of trust" and as such, he shouldn't be allowed back into football atm.

But he doesn't work with Children? On a practical level I think any club will be very careful about using in any sort of youth ambassadorial role.

No, but you can't away from the fact that children look up to footballers as role models. We all had replica shirts with our favourite player's name on the back, posters on the wall, hanging on their every word on TV/radio etc.

If that isn't a position of trust, I don't know what is.

Gotta work off the basis he's guilty as that was the decision, and no one has full access to all the evidence.

I'd normally agree with this point of view when people start pontificating over the verdict of a case, however in this instance there isn't really any "evidence" as such. It's not even a case of who do you believe, as the woman claims to remember nothing. The only evidence of what went on in the room is from Evans & his mate, in fact the only evidence that sex took place is from their own admission that it did. She didn't go to the police to report a rape, she went to report a missing bag & phone.

The verdict really does just boil down to a subjective view of whether or not the jury thought she was too pissed to have given consent based on CCTV & witness statements. As the majority of this evidence is in the public domain, I think it's fair that people who have seen and read it should be able to form a form an opinion and question that verdict even if it just to the point that they themselves have reasonable doubt about the validity of the verdict.

The jury seems to have decided that hours after she stopped drinking she was too pissed to have consented to have sex with one of them, but not too pissed to have consented to have sex with the other one. I find that conclusion ridiculous.