NUFC 0 - 1 Sunderland - 21/12/14 - reaction to Pardew's derby run from page 43

LRD

Took the risk of listening to the Guardian and Times podcasts this week to see if they'd criticise him. Ridiculous thought. Both lavished praise on him for "giving it a go". In a world where setting up at home in a derby with 8 defenders then throwing on all the strikers with ten minutes to go is having a go, I wish I were a sports media professional.

Times one finished by saying what a nice man he is and said the next derby is important for him.

I'm struggling to believe this, especially the last sentence.

I absolutely agree with you Wullie.

I know lads who are 3-4 years younger than me and they just haven't a clue. They have no problem with Pardew, very little resentment towards Ashley and just lap up this mediocrity and ridicule served up on a weekly basis. One lad even told me after the match that I was a 'fool' if I thought Pardew was to blame for today- this was just the PERFECT loss for Pardew, especially the perfect derby loss. Unlike the previous harrowing 0-3's (where people still weirdly accepted it?) we got a couple of sniffs at goal and on the odd occassion merely tested the 'keeper. That was it, no thundering the woodwork, missing a PK, shots cleared off the line etc. Just a few half chances. And, to top it off, we lose by one goal late on. It was too perfect BECAUSE we now have an audience who will accept that. No pressure will be applied to Pardew because of this, in the eyes of everyone we have played well and were 'unlucky' and 'lacked a bit of passion'. We basically have 50,000 Pardew's in SJP watching NUFC. Just look at the Hull match and the ridicule protesters got.

I remember after the first 0-3 (that's how bad it is now, 'the first') we played Liverpool at SJP two weeks later and lost 0-6. Pardew played a criminally high line against one of the best attacks in the league and failed to adjust it. It was truly helpless being in the stadium that day. No one cared. I was in the Gallowgate and lost it, stood up shouting at Pardew and calling him a cunt etc, everything you could think of. People around me were going bananas, saying 'aye well he's not the one on the pitch, he just picks the players man'. Even after I tried to protest with the derby defeat weeks earlier no one was interested, people just didn't want to hear it and preferred to just sit there in silence with their arms folded. There is no passion anymore, which is the ironic part of it all considering how all we are ever fucking told is how we need more passion etc. Literally the disease of English football is that myth of 'more passion'. Imagine in the days before Ashley (or even in his first season) if we were getting spanked at home to the mackems? There would be full on riots, the manager would probably be forced to resign, or if he didn't he would be gone if he lost the game after. People had a lot of pride in the club and didn't stand for this- this was unimaginable.

No one seems to know or remember the days of the Champions League nights (home and away), or our famous cup runs, or the general excitement that a few wins could generate around the city. I am simply in shock that we are now talking about our 4th consecutive loss to those small-time idiots.

If we were just genuinely dire, but had the right people at the club with the right intentions then I would still live and breathe NUFC, I would still die for that black and white- how good we are has never been something that questions your loyalty as a Newcastle fan, it has only made it stronger in the past. But for the club to basically withdraw from competing, to isolate itself from honoring what was once a very proud history of competing and near-misses to success is simply deflating. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

As people above have nailed it; people like you and I won't be going back for a long time by the looks of it. By the time that supporters who know the true meaning of NUFC return (if at all) then it will be too late. The club will have been passed over to generations who don't know what success is- 7th in the league will be like winning it to a lot of them. A loss to the mackems will simply be followed up with 'just unlucky, we're still the better club'. Nothing will mean anything and all that will be talked about is this totally unjustified, unhealthy devotion to the club that involves accepting whatever is served up by the club and never questioning it (and if you do, then you are 'disloyal', you are a 'traitor'....you're as good as a mackem).

The club is dead, lads.

Spot on.

I'm 32 now but through work I have to be around a few 18/19 year olds. If they are representative of our young fans as a whole then there is going to be a massive problem. They are passionate enough about the club but whenever we get talking and I tell them about how much I hate Pardew and Ashley and that this is the worst I've ever felt as a fan they just stare at me blankly as if to say what the fuck is this cunt on! They have no memory of how it was before and to them this season has been 'canny good like' as we have beaten some top teams. If this goes on much longer then our fan base will be fucked forever.

Sunderland's misses were shocking. There were at least 3 occasions when I thought they were certain to score only for them to miss. That would usually mean they go on to lose and are filled with regret over their misses. Not against us it doesn't.

Can't believe that we actually cheered when Larsson missed his chance towards the end. There's only few minutes left and we're 1-0 down, ffs. :facepalm:

Took the risk of listening to the Guardian and Times podcasts this week to see if they'd criticise him. Ridiculous thought. Both lavished praise on him for "giving it a go". In a world where setting up at home in a derby with 8 defenders then throwing on all the strikers with ten minutes to go is having a go, I wish I were a sports media professional.

Times one finished by saying what a nice man he is and said the next derby is important for him.

Strange, the Guardian are normally pretty anti Pardew as a man and manager. Though there's one of the semi regular contributors is more sympathetic, Wilson I think.

I feel like such an outsider with our club now. Everyone and their granny is still in Pardew's corner. We're fucking stuck with him and it's all because of this new generation of apathetic ambitionless fans. :(

I feel like such an outsider with our club now. Everyone and their granny is still in Pardew's corner. We're f***ing stuck with him and it's all because of this new generation of apathetic ambitionless fans. :(

Probably at odds with the majority of this board, but I don't agree with that part in the slightest.

How hasn't Pardew been hounded out by now then? I can understand people accepting Ashley is untouchable, but the manager certainly isn't.

He is untouchable because of Ashley.

Neither of them going anywhere. Pardew would survive a relegation easy.

So bring on relegation then. And then another f***ing relegation. And another one until both the f***ers are gone. Or failing that, until the club ceases to exist.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'd take Conference tomorrow if it meant we were shot of Jabba.

I wish he would be hounded out. But there's so much more wrong with the club than the fans imo. Pardew IS virtually unsackable, how many valid reasons  does Ashley need to get rid of him? He doesn't care what the fans think, we know that. Pardew will never walk away either, because there won't be a better job for him and of course he's arrogant and oblivious to his errors.

There are more 'happy to be here' type fans in St James these days I agree.

But if they were all ambitionless and apathetic, the Cardiff atmosphere wouldn't have happened. And if those circumstances arise again, then the fans will again create a hostile atmosphere. If the club was run by someone who took his cue from the mood of the support, then the fans would be far quicker to hound out managers than like we have now - where it makes practically zero difference because we are ignored. A real shame but it really isn't just the fans fault.

Just my opinion like.

But if they were all ambitionless and apathetic, the Cardiff atmosphere wouldn't have happened. And if those circumstances arise again, then the fans will again create a hostile atmosphere.

Thing is, there are thousands of people who created the Cardiff atmosphere - myself included - who have racked it in to be replaced with 'fans' who think that Pardew is doing an OK job.

I'm struggling to see how that atmosphere - brilliant in its sheer venom - can be replicated.

But if they were all ambitionless and apathetic, the Cardiff atmosphere wouldn't have happened. And if those circumstances arise again, then the fans will again create a hostile atmosphere.

Thing is, there are thousands of people who created the Cardiff atmosphere - myself included - who have racked it in to be replaced with 'fans' who think that Pardew is doing an OK job.

I'm struggling to see how that atmosphere - brilliant in its sheer venom - can be replicated.

Everybody who has given up their ST and is sick to the back of their teeth about how the club is being run joins forces top attend one home game to cause havoc and get the rest of the crowd going.

I wish he would be hounded out. But there's so much more wrong with the club than the fans imo. Pardew IS virtually unsackable, how many valid reasons  does Ashley need to get rid of him? He doesn't care what the fans think, we know that. Pardew will never walk away either, because there won't be a better job for him and of course he's arrogant and oblivious to his errors.

But if they were all ambitionless and apathetic, the Cardiff atmosphere wouldn't have happened. And if those circumstances arise again, then the fans will again create a hostile atmosphere. If the club was run by someone who took his cue from the mood of the support, then the fans would be far quicker to hound out managers than like we have now - where it makes practically zero difference because we are ignored. A real shame but it really isn't just the fans fault.

Just my opinion like.

I don't think anyone genuinely believes it is the fans' fault and that alone. The owner and manager have beaten us all down to the point of submission.

I suppose we won't have to wait long to find out - just reminded myself of our March and April fixtures. The vocal stayaways need to keep coming back for those last couple of games following a period of utter turd. The more that come back, the more people will feel inclined to join in. I reckon there's still loads in the stadium that will.

Thing didn't change in the games after Cardiff though, except people had 3 months to forget about our problems. Once the season started again people were strangely supporting Pardew around the stadium again and it was evident against Hull when fans started turning on those calling for his head. In between Cardiff and Hull we lost 3 games, drew 2 and won zero, so why had fans suddenly got behind him?

Thing didn't change in the games after Cardiff though, except people had 3 months to forget about our problems. Once the season started again people were strangely supporting Pardew around the stadium again and it was evident against Hull when fans started turning on those calling for his head. In between Cardiff and Hull we lost 3 games, drew 2 and won zero, so why had fans suddenly got behind him?

Summer binge drinking with sun burn. It's the only logical explanation.

Just my opinion like.

I don't think anyone genuinely believes it is the fans' fault and that alone. The owner and manager have beaten us all down to the point of submission.

Absolutely. To the point where fellow fans turn on eachother , that's why I don't like seeing people putting blame on the home crowd even if they are too loyal so to speak. I know what they're getting at, but like you say - it's a desperate situation.

Summer binge drinking with sun burn. It's the only logical explanation.

That and a few summer signings probably contributed. All false hope that things would improve.