NUFC 0 - 1 Sunderland - 21/12/14 - reaction to Pardew's derby run from page 43

LRD

I remember being at the playoff defeat in 1990 and that hurt like hell, as did the loss to them when Shearer was on the bench. However, today as with the last couple of defeats to them, I'm just not that arsed so I can see where other lads are coming from. I'm still emotionally invested in the club to a certain extent, but it's a pale shadow of what it used to be. Begs the question though - why do 49000 sheep still choose to go? It cant be for hope or to be entertained!

Is it down to habit or merely not having anything better to do?

It's a misguided sense of loyalty to an institution that no longer exists. The club, as it stands now, is a broken shell of what it used to be and that won't change in a hurry either. The dopey wankers still routinely ploughing cash into it are as much of a problem as Pardew and Ashley. They're being milked and they don't even realise it. Too loyal, too easily manipulated and too fucking thick to see it. 

The stadium is full every week. QPR at home - 52,000, Leicester at home - 52,000. After we came up from the Championship, we were getting regular 42-43,000 crowds yet we know that big swathes of the crowd, including you and I, have jacked it in.

I don't understand why people are so desperate to keep going and I particularly don't understand who the people are that have not only filled the seats vacated by others but also taken crowds up in huge numbers.

'People' left to their own devices will fuck up everything they get near. :lol:

I remember being at the playoff defeat in 1990 and that hurt like hell, as did the loss to them when Shearer was on the bench. However, today as with the last couple of defeats to them, I'm just not that arsed so I can see where other lads are coming from. I'm still emotionally invested in the club to a certain extent, but it's a pale shadow of what it used to be. Begs the question though - why do 49000 sheep still choose to go? It cant be for hope or to be entertained!

It's a misguided sense of loyalty to an institution that no longer exists. The club, as it stands now, is a broken shell of what it used to be and that won't change in a hurry either. The dopey wankers still routinely ploughing cash into it are as much of a problem as Pardew and Ashley. They're being milked and they don't even realise it. Too loyal, too easily manipulated and too fucking thick to see it. 

The stadium is full every week. QPR at home - 52,000, Leicester at home - 52,000. After we came up from the Championship, we were getting regular 42-43,000 crowds yet we know that big swathes of the crowd, including you and I, have jacked it in.

I don't understand why people are so desperate to keep going and I particularly don't understand who the people are that have not only filled the seats vacated by others but also taken crowds up in huge numbers.

Aye I was looking at our crowds in our first season back up and then 11/12 recently. We had low 40,000s quite regularly, which took me by surprise. I really don't know where the jump has come from to be back consistently at 52k

Aye, I honestly don't know what they're getting out of the games like. It's not entertainment, it's not enjoyment and it's certainly not the feeling of success. Could it be that these thick cunts see a season ticket as some sort of status symbol? "Aye, go every week me like, proper love the Toon me." type of shit? 

Meanwhile, the patter on the TF Facebook page:

Fuck the defender we need a striker how on earth weren't we 3 or 4-0 up at ht there is only one person i can blame and tht is paul dummett but we played well ut couldnt score so i will be given my motm to all 14 players

It's a misguided sense of loyalty to an institution that no longer exists. The club, as it stands now, is a broken shell of what it used to be and that won't change in a hurry either. The dopey w*****s still routinely ploughing cash into it are as much of a problem as Pardew and Ashley. They're being milked and they don't even realise it. Too loyal, too easily manipulated and too f***ing thick to see it. 

I gave my ticket up last year, it was as I'm sure it was with everyone a incredibly hard decision to make.

What I can't understand is the mind set of support the team not the regime.

The team is here one season, gone the next no matter who the owner is. The modern game, for the most part, doesn't necessarily allow for teams to stay together long term.

We all, as supporters support the club, Newcastle United.

The reason why I jacked my ticket in is because in my opinion, as fans, we, I feel we need to stand against a man who is destroying our club, our institution.

To cut a long and well trodden story short, what I feel people are forgetting is that this isn't the 80's or early 90's, football is truly global now.

Compared to many teams we are in a unique position as a one club city and this has helped sustain us throughout our history. Fans like us grew up with a little sprinkling of other teams such as Liverpool, Man Utd etc however realistically to watch a team play live we had to go to St James and watch Newcastle.

That's gone now, anyone can watch any team one way or another, this makes it easier now then it has ever been for young, impressionable boys and girls to support other teams. Teams who show ambition, Swansea, Spurs, Southampton etc.

What our current set of fans don't understand is that the club is bigger then them, to sustain the club we need to sustain the fan base.

MA and his branding business is exactly that, mediocre ambition, disrespecting the customer base being its day to day business.

The true cost of MA's reign won't be seen today, next year or the season after, with the continued abuse of the club we will have a lost generation of fans, when we can no longer go we won't be replaced, they'll be watching Everton play in Europe.

Just my opinion.

It's a misguided sense of loyalty to an institution that no longer exists. The club, as it stands now, is a broken shell of what it used to be and that won't change in a hurry either. The dopey w*****s still routinely ploughing cash into it are as much of a problem as Pardew and Ashley. They're being milked and they don't even realise it. Too loyal, too easily manipulated and too f***ing thick to see it. 

I gave my ticket up last year, it was as I'm sure it was with everyone a incredibly hard decision to make.

What I can't understand is the mind set of support the team not the regime.

The team is here one season, gone the next no matter who the owner is. The modern game, for the most part, doesn't necessarily allow for teams to stay together long term.

We all, as supporters support the club, Newcastle United.

The reason why I jacked my ticket in is because in my opinion, as fans, we, I feel we need to stand against a man who is destroying our club, our institution.

To cut a long and well trodden story short, what I feel people are forgetting is that this isn't the 80's or early 90's, football is truly global now.

Compared to many teams we are in a unique position as a one club city and this has helped sustain us throughout our history. Fans like us grew up with a little sprinkling of other teams such as Liverpool, Man Utd etc however realistically to watch a team play live we had to go to St James and watch Newcastle.

That's gone now, anyone can watch any team one way or another, this makes it easier now then it has ever been for young, impressionable boys and girls to support other teams. Teams who show ambition, Swansea, Spurs, Southampton etc.

What our current set of fans don't understand is that the club is bigger then them, to sustain the club we need to sustain the fan base.

MA and his branding business is exactly that, mediocre ambition, disrespecting the customer base being its day to day business.

The true cost of MA's reign won't be seen today, next year or the season after, with the continued abuse of the club we will have a lost generation of fans, when we can no longer go we won't be replaced, they'll be watching Everton play in Europe.

Just my opinion.

Good post PCW, I think about this a lot. There's a bloke at work, born and bred Middlesbrough but his son was born here and the kid has always supported Newcastle until very recently (I think he's about 10). Now he goes with his dad to Boro, at his own request. Even a club like Middlesbrough, for all they've been in the doldrums for a few years, are a club who hold their own fans in high regard and are trying to better themselves. That trumps just being in the Premier League for the sake of it.

We're very quickly acquiring a generation of fans for whom the club exists to exist. There's no pride in supporting this incarnation of NUFC.

The general point about the club having a spiritual connection (last couple of pages) with the support is the most important one. The club has changed so much in its very nature that connection is broken and regardless of ritual it no longer deserves unquestioning loyalty. Part of this paradigm is the act of consumerism, sadly football now is just consumption of a product and not the following of a team. Nowadays the consumer just creates a fake idea in his head (put there by advertising or branding). Football is now like consuming Apple products or a specific beer, it's momentary, illusionary and in the final analysis just simulcra. Football is dead.

The general point about the club having a spiritual connection (last couple of pages) with the support is the most important one. The club has changed so much in its very nature that connection is broken and regardless of ritual it no longer deserves unquestioning loyalty. Part of this paradigm is the act of consumerism, sadly football now is just consumption of a product and not the following of a team. Nowadays the consumer just creates a fake idea in his head (put there by advertising or branding). Football is now like consuming Apple products or a specific beer, it's momentary, illusionary and in the final analysis just simulcra. Football is dead.

Unfortunately I agree. As a lover of football i still enjoy the sheer entertainment of watching the likes of Messi and the top European teams but to be a fan in the spiritual sense of years gone by of a top level club appears to be gone for now.

Just so meh about the whole thing. I hope our lot were forced to watch them celebrate like they'd won the cup at the end, in our back yard. That's the sort of passion that should be shown - after the final whistle. Play the fucking game through the 90 minutes.

We lost a lot of impetus when Tiote went off. He was shit first half but he was starting to dominate the game in the second half and once he went off we had a huge imbalance. Was gutting to concede when we did but when you've got a dickhead who decides that keeping it 0-0 for as long as possible is the game plan, you're asking for it in many ways.

I absolutely agree with you Wullie.

I know lads who are 3-4 years younger than me and they just haven't a clue. They have no problem with Pardew, very little resentment towards Ashley and just lap up this mediocrity and ridicule served up on a weekly basis. One lad even told me after the match that I was a 'fool' if I thought Pardew was to blame for today- this was just the PERFECT loss for Pardew, especially the perfect derby loss. Unlike the previous harrowing 0-3's (where people still weirdly accepted it?) we got a couple of sniffs at goal and on the odd occassion merely tested the 'keeper. That was it, no thundering the woodwork, missing a PK, shots cleared off the line etc. Just a few half chances. And, to top it off, we lose by one goal late on. It was too perfect BECAUSE we now have an audience who will accept that. No pressure will be applied to Pardew because of this, in the eyes of everyone we have played well and were 'unlucky' and 'lacked a bit of passion'. We basically have 50,000 Pardew's in SJP watching NUFC. Just look at the Hull match and the ridicule protesters got.

I remember after the first 0-3 (that's how bad it is now, 'the first') we played Liverpool at SJP two weeks later and lost 0-6. Pardew played a criminally high line against one of the best attacks in the league and failed to adjust it. It was truly helpless being in the stadium that day. No one cared. I was in the Gallowgate and lost it, stood up shouting at Pardew and calling him a cunt etc, everything you could think of. People around me were going bananas, saying 'aye well he's not the one on the pitch, he just picks the players man'. Even after I tried to protest with the derby defeat weeks earlier no one was interested, people just didn't want to hear it and preferred to just sit there in silence with their arms folded. There is no passion anymore, which is the ironic part of it all considering how all we are ever fucking told is how we need more passion etc. Literally the disease of English football is that myth of 'more passion'. Imagine in the days before Ashley (or even in his first season) if we were getting spanked at home to the mackems? There would be full on riots, the manager would probably be forced to resign, or if he didn't he would be gone if he lost the game after. People had a lot of pride in the club and didn't stand for this- this was unimaginable.

No one seems to know or remember the days of the Champions League nights (home and away), or our famous cup runs, or the general excitement that a few wins could generate around the city. I am simply in shock that we are now talking about our 4th consecutive loss to those small-time idiots.

If we were just genuinely dire, but had the right people at the club with the right intentions then I would still live and breathe NUFC, I would still die for that black and white- how good we are has never been something that questions your loyalty as a Newcastle fan, it has only made it stronger in the past. But for the club to basically withdraw from competing, to isolate itself from honoring what was once a very proud history of competing and near-misses to success is simply deflating. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

As people above have nailed it; people like you and I won't be going back for a long time by the looks of it. By the time that supporters who know the true meaning of NUFC return (if at all) then it will be too late. The club will have been passed over to generations who don't know what success is- 7th in the league will be like winning it to a lot of them. A loss to the mackems will simply be followed up with 'just unlucky, we're still the better club'. Nothing will mean anything and all that will be talked about is this totally unjustified, unhealthy devotion to the club that involves accepting whatever is served up by the club and never questioning it (and if you do, then you are 'disloyal', you are a 'traitor'....you're as good as a mackem).

The club is dead, lads.

I absolutely agree with you Wullie.

I know lads who are 3-4 years younger than me and they just haven't a clue. They have no problem with Pardew, very little resentment towards Ashley and just lap up this mediocrity and ridicule served up on a weekly basis. One lad even told me after the match that I was a 'fool' if I thought Pardew was to blame for today- this was just the PERFECT loss for Pardew, especially the perfect derby loss. Unlike the previous harrowing 0-3's (where people still weirdly accepted it?) we got a couple of sniffs at goal and on the odd occassion merely tested the 'keeper. That was it, no thundering the woodwork, missing a PK, shots cleared off the line etc. Just a few half chances. And, to top it off, we lose by one goal late on. It was too perfect BECAUSE we now have an audience who will accept that. No pressure will be applied to Pardew because of this, in the eyes of everyone we have played well and were 'unlucky' and 'lacked a bit of passion'. We basically have 50,000 Pardew's in SJP watching NUFC. Just look at the Hull match and the ridicule protesters got.

I remember after the first 0-3 (that's how bad it is now, 'the first') we played Liverpool at SJP two weeks later and lost 0-6. Pardew played a criminally high line against one of the best attacks in the league and failed to adjust it. It was truly helpless being in the stadium that day. No one cared. I was in the Gallowgate and lost it, stood up shouting at Pardew and calling him a cunt etc, everything you could think of. People around me were going bananas, saying 'aye well he's not the one on the pitch, he just picks the players man'. Even after I tried to protest with the derby defeat weeks earlier no one was interested, people just didn't want to hear it and preferred to just sit there in silence with their arms folded. There is no passion anymore, which is the ironic part of it all considering how all we are ever fucking told is how we need more passion etc. Literally the disease of English football is that myth of 'more passion'. Imagine in the days before Ashley (or even in his first season) if we were getting spanked at home to the mackems? There would be full on riots, the manager would probably be forced to resign, or if he didn't he would be gone if he lost the game after. People had a lot of pride in the club and didn't stand for this- this was unimaginable.

No one seems to know or remember the days of the Champions League nights (home and away), or our famous cup runs, or the general excitement that a few wins could generate around the city. I am simply in shock that we are now talking about our 4th consecutive loss to those small-time idiots.

If we were just genuinely dire, but had the right people at the club with the right intentions then I would still live and breathe NUFC, I would still die for that black and white- how good we are has never been something that questions your loyalty as a Newcastle fan, it has only made it stronger in the past. But for the club to basically withdraw from competing, to isolate itself from honoring what was once a very proud history of competing and near-misses to success is simply deflating. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

As people above have nailed it; people like you and I won't be going back for a long time by the looks of it. By the time that supporters who know the true meaning of NUFC return (if at all) then it will be too late. The club will have been passed over to generations who don't know what success is- 7th in the league will be like winning it to a lot of them. A loss to the mackems will simply be followed up with 'just unlucky, we're still the better club'. Nothing will mean anything and all that will be talked about is this totally unjustified, unhealthy devotion to the club that involves accepting whatever is served up by the club and never questioning it (and if you do, then you are 'disloyal', you are a 'traitor'....you're as good as a mackem).

The club is dead, lads.

Hard to read and disagree with any of that. :thup: As sad as it is.