Newcastle United vs Southampton - Sat 17th Jan @ 5:30pm (live on Sky)

Dave

I can't help but the feel the "Garde" talk was just a rouse.

We love to trot out the line "couldn't get him over the line" and I can't help but feel that's all Garde is.

If Ashley is happy with the direction of the club Carver is the only show in town. appointed someone like Garde would signal a change of philosophy and given Ashley has had the opportunity to change course on more than one occasion but hasn't tells me It's Carver or someone of his ilk.

I hope I'm wrong of course.

How would appointing Garde be a change in philosophy for the club? It's been pointed out how Garde has had to deal with players being sold, little money to spend, having to bring in youth players etc. All this points to how Garde is a man that Ashley should be going for, in fact most foreign clubs are ran like this and most foreign managers would fit our philosophy.

The club have never been bothered about what the fans think, if Carver was the man they wanted they wouldn't hang around in appointing him in an attempt to ease fan pressure, they would just go with it.

Because Ashley has a long history of not appointing his cronies Stifler.

He's also appointed people who aren't his cronies as well. in recent years he's been getting rid of them.

If he wanted to appoint his cronies then he's been linked to have connections with our shit managers in the past, surely one of them would have been appointed by now. Again the point that he doesn't give a shit about fans opinions rings true in the sense that if Carver or one of his other mates was to get the job then he would have been given it by now. When Cuntboy was appointed it was rumoured beforehand and it happened only a few days after Houghton was sacked, Ashley would have acted fast to get one of his cronies or Carver in if it was his plan.

Appointed people to menial jobs within the club sure.

Any appointment of any relevance has been either due to cronyism or having someone he can control.

You don't actually believe Charnley would ever do something Ashley would disapprove of do you?

And if Ashley had one of his mates in mind why would he give the job of finding someone to Charnley and Carr and why wouldn't he have already been appointed?

You aren't addressing these situations in your arguments, your just coming up with a hypothetical scenario in your head and repeating it.

If you look at the evidence on balance then it appears that they are after an outside appointment, if you are honestly looking at this evidence and coming to the conclusion that it's going to be Carver or another one of Ashley's mates then the only person your rolling is yourself.

They've given Charnley and Carr the responsibility of finding a manager correct.

Charnley and Carr won't be the one signing off on the manager that will be Ashley. Hence why i stated appointing Garde or someone of his ilk would be a shift in strategy.

Charnley until a year ago was in charge of all financial control, he still is. It's his signature that goes on contracts for players and managers contracts on behalf of the club, you honestly think they get Ashley in to sign every contract? Charley and Carr have been left in charge of finding and hiring the manager, of course they will go to Ashley to tell him who they want to give the job too before offering him it but it's likely Ashley will just say yes. As I've pointed out if Ashley wants his man in then his man would already have been appointed.

You're infuriating man.

Ignore who physically signs the cheques as this has no relevance to the matter at hand. Ashley will have the final say on this managerial appointment.

Well yeah, but he's hardly likely to authorise them going out on a recruitment mission for him to turn down their preferred choice, unless of course Garde doesn't go along with the clubs philosophies and asks for unreasonable wages.

We love to trot out the line "couldn't get him over the line" and I can't help but feel that's all Garde is.

If Ashley is happy with the direction of the club Carver is the only show in town. appointed someone like Garde would signal a change of philosophy and given Ashley has had the opportunity to change course on more than one occasion but hasn't tells me It's Carver or someone of his ilk.

Apparently, Charnley and Carr are heading the search though. Why would they meet a manager (in secret) which costs them time and ultimately money for "just a rouse".

Don't you remember the transfer summit on mikes yacht in the south of France?

A key part of Ashley success in making the fanbase totally apathetic and zombified is his complete and utter removal of any hope for a better future. He appoints someone competent who wants to challenge for things the hope returns and the fanbase rallies against ownership which lacks the ambition of the fans and the manager.

So why give the fans hope by interviewing him and then crush them hopes by hiring Carver or such like? All they do is create a hostile atmosphere, hardly zombifying.

There's no real reason to interview anyone "for effect". I just don't see it. Not that I'm convinced that he will get the gig.

Of course it does.

You can't trot out the "we tried" line if you aren't seen as actually trying to get someone competent in.

Remember how we tried to keep hold of Carroll for example? Remember all of those players we just couldn't get over the line? Do you actually believe we are trying to be the best football club we can?

So they go through all that effort just to say "we tried". Come off it. If Carver gets the gig it will be down to their own stupid judgement, plain and simple.

What effort are you talking about man? Having a discussion with a manager in London really isn't much of an effort.

The meeting wasn't in London, it was in Manchester (or at least started there), despite reports. I'm not getting into how I know but plenty of real effort was put in.

Why don't you enlighten us about the "effort"  we put in so we can judge for ourselves?

No, you can take it or leave it.

In your opinion do you think it's possible or likely that Garde will still be appointed?

I think there is more chance of us hiring Garde, than giving Carver the job. I think our cynicism takes over quite a lot.

Based on what I've seen and heard, there is a genuine desire to look for candidates abroad. My worry is that they buy some time until the end of the season.

Apparently, Charnley and Carr are heading the search though. Why would they meet a manager (in secret) which costs them time and ultimately money for "just a rouse".

A key part of Ashley success in making the fanbase totally apathetic and zombified is his complete and utter removal of any hope for a better future. He appoints someone competent who wants to challenge for things the hope returns and the fanbase rallies against ownership which lacks the ambition of the fans and the manager.

So why give the fans hope by interviewing him and then crush them hopes by hiring Carver or such like? All they do is create a hostile atmosphere, hardly zombifying.

There's no real reason to interview anyone "for effect". I just don't see it. Not that I'm convinced that he will get the gig.

Of course it does.

You can't trot out the "we tried" line if you aren't seen as actually trying to get someone competent in.

Remember how we tried to keep hold of Carroll for example? Remember all of those players we just couldn't get over the line? Do you actually believe we are trying to be the best football club we can?

So they go through all that effort just to say "we tried". Come off it. If Carver gets the gig it will be down to their own stupid judgement, plain and simple.

What effort are you talking about man? Having a discussion with a manager in London really isn't much of an effort.

The meeting wasn't in London, it was in Manchester (or at least started there), despite reports. I'm not getting into how I know but plenty of real effort was put in.

Why don't you enlighten us about the "effort"  we put in so we can judge for ourselves?

In your opinion do you think it's possible or likely that Garde will still be appointed?

I think there is more chance of us hiring Garde, than giving Carver the job. I think our cynicism takes over quite a lot.

Based on what I've seen and heard, there is a genuine desire to look for candidates abroad. My worry is that they buy some time until the end of the season.

Cheers, sounds mostly positive then.

How would appointing Garde be a change in philosophy for the club? It's been pointed out how Garde has had to deal with players being sold, little money to spend, having to bring in youth players etc. All this points to how Garde is a man that Ashley should be going for, in fact most foreign clubs are ran like this and most foreign managers would fit our philosophy.

The club have never been bothered about what the fans think, if Carver was the man they wanted they wouldn't hang around in appointing him in an attempt to ease fan pressure, they would just go with it.

Because Ashley has a long history of not appointing his cronies Stifler.

He's also appointed people who aren't his cronies as well. in recent years he's been getting rid of them.

If he wanted to appoint his cronies then he's been linked to have connections with our shit managers in the past, surely one of them would have been appointed by now. Again the point that he doesn't give a shit about fans opinions rings true in the sense that if Carver or one of his other mates was to get the job then he would have been given it by now. When Cuntboy was appointed it was rumoured beforehand and it happened only a few days after Houghton was sacked, Ashley would have acted fast to get one of his cronies or Carver in if it was his plan.

Appointed people to menial jobs within the club sure.

Any appointment of any relevance has been either due to cronyism or having someone he can control.

You don't actually believe Charnley would ever do something Ashley would disapprove of do you?

And if Ashley had one of his mates in mind why would he give the job of finding someone to Charnley and Carr and why wouldn't he have already been appointed?

You aren't addressing these situations in your arguments, your just coming up with a hypothetical scenario in your head and repeating it.

If you look at the evidence on balance then it appears that they are after an outside appointment, if you are honestly looking at this evidence and coming to the conclusion that it's going to be Carver or another one of Ashley's mates then the only person your rolling is yourself.

They've given Charnley and Carr the responsibility of finding a manager correct.

Charnley and Carr won't be the one signing off on the manager that will be Ashley. Hence why i stated appointing Garde or someone of his ilk would be a shift in strategy.

Charnley until a year ago was in charge of all financial control, he still is. It's his signature that goes on contracts for players and managers contracts on behalf of the club, you honestly think they get Ashley in to sign every contract? Charley and Carr have been left in charge of finding and hiring the manager, of course they will go to Ashley to tell him who they want to give the job too before offering him it but it's likely Ashley will just say yes. As I've pointed out if Ashley wants his man in then his man would already have been appointed.

You're infuriating man.

Ignore who physically signs the cheques as this has no relevance to the matter at hand. Ashley will have the final say on this managerial appointment.

Well yeah, but he's hardly likely to authorise them going out on a recruitment mission for him to turn down their preferred choice, unless of course Garde doesn't go along with the clubs philosophies and asks for unreasonable wages.

As you're friend who works in that hotel how much a night is then multiply it by two throw in an evening meal and some petrol.

They've hardly been on a world tour to appoint someone ffs

Of course it does.

Cheers, sounds mostly positive then.

It's hard to be positive, given our club's record. If Garde doesn't get the job, I'd be interested to know why but the meeting was genuine by the club.

Can someone enlighten me as to the purpose of warm weather training? Don't we need to acclimatise to cold weather at the moment. Wouldn't it be about as much use as going to Iceland to acclimatise to a World Cup in the desert?

Can someone enlighten me as to the purpose of warm weather training? Don't we need to acclimatise to cold weather at the moment. Wouldn't it be about as much use as going to Iceland to acclimatise to a World Cup in the desert?

Change of scenery from the monotonous routine, can re-charge batteries a little while still training etc.

Never seems to work for us.

Change of scenery from the monotonous routine, can re-charge batteries a little while still training etc.

Never seems to work for us.

No problem with a bit of fun and team building over a break. I'd just prefer it if it was better suited. It just seems like a bit or a jolly up really. If it worked I'd think it was great but since it doesn't you'd hope they'd rethink it.

Depends on timing as well. It only takes a few days to get over a long flight really, so as long as they're back in good time they'll be fine physically.