Newcastle 1-2 Arsenal - 21/3/15 Match Thread - Post match reaction from p. 16

Mike

Tell you what, it's fucking embarrassing watching this. Best atmosphere I've heard at SJP in ages that second half, just because we were trying to press and attack for a change. It's so simple and the cunts in charge make it sound impossible.

Tell you what, it's fucking embarrassing watching this. Best atmosphere I've heard at SJP in ages that second half, just because we were trying to press and attack for a change. It's so simple and the cunts in charge make it sound impossible.

:thup:

Problem is. We simply cannot stretch the game from the start like that because:

a) We don't have the goalscorers in the side to take advantage of it, especially with Cisse out.

b) Our defence cannot cope with being exposed. Ever. During their prime as a partnership, Williamson and Coloccini oversaw 5 goals against Spurs, 4 against Wigan, 5 against Fulham in the space of about 3 months when we were trying to take the game to the opposition.

Obviously Pardew and Carver are incredibly negative bastards, but until the issues at the back are sorted there isn't a manager out there who'd be comfortable with us going gung ho.

It never does, though. All of the results that'll keep us up this season have occurred with our midfielders (and some 'attackers') holding the hands of the defence.

I don't think it sinks in with some on here just how fucking useless our defence is. In the last 3 seasons I bet we've conceded more goals than any other PL side, or come pretty close.

I just think CB is a fairly easy position as long as the team is functioning properly and the midfield has a bit of presence. I don't think anyone argues we should go kamikaze and not worry about defending.

Our defence in general is crap I agree, but they look a lot worse because of our overarching crapness.

You can bet your house that at least one of Taylor, Coloccini and Williamson will be a nailed-on starter next season and another will (at worst) get a good amount of games. There's just no money to be made from any of them, therefore they'll stay until they retire or show some bollocks and question those above.

It would appear Carver agrees with you:

"It’s a long time I’ve seen it like that, but it’s like everything else – it’s up to the players to generate that atmosphere. Once you get on the front foot and start giving everything for this team they’ll get behind you. I know that because I’m one of them, and it’s important we stimulate the fans

fair play for the second half, deserved at least a draw. Abominable first half, no idea what we're doing if we can play like the second half.

Cabella and Perez are ace, we need to keep those two together for next season.

What fans think we need, and what Ashley & Co think we need are two very different things - if either player was subject of a decent bid, they would be off before you can say 'sell-out'.

However, my money is on one of Janmaat, Sissoko or even Krul before these guys but Perez has a better chance of quick departure than Cabella.

We got NOTHING, at home to Arsenal.

How many points did THEY get?

We got NOTHING at home to Arsenal.

How "pathetic" are we?

I'm sure there are plenty of 'younger' supporters who think this is "fine" . . .

It is  P A T H E T I C .

You are becoming a voice in the wilderness my friend - just like many others on here.

We got NOTHING, at home to Arsenal.

How many points did THEY get?

We got NOTHING at home to Arsenal.

How "pathetic" are we?

I'm sure there are plenty of 'younger' supporters who think this is "fine" . . .

It is  P A T H E T I C .

You are becoming a voice in the wilderness my friend - just like many others on here.

Hardly, almost everyone on here is a manic depressive these days. 

Straight after one of our better 45 minute performances since we got promoted is a strange time for a rant though.  Everything's still shite, obviously.

Nah, I understand why anyone would be ranting after that. Arsenal were absolutely shambolic for most of that game. Knackered, unorganised and completely there for the taking, yet there's 'positives' to be taken from going 2-0 down before HT at home and getting a goal back 2nd half.

The smiling faces in the crowd with 10 minutes left said it all for me. Too fickle to see beyond mind-numbingly diabolical 1-0 home wins over QPR/Leicester/Aston Villa but not quite fickle enough to comprehend the concept of actually losing a game, scoring less than the opposition. The SJP support is absolutely fucking embarrassing.

i was cheered to see we could play well with Sunderland coming up. That is not to say I approve of the club in it's current pathetic state, nor the appalling first half display, no idea how a team gets sent out at St James without the impetus to play properly (and show they can second half). Is licking not a good motivational tool?

Anytime Arsenal won a free kick yesterday, they launched it into the box. Whether it was on the half way line or around the box, they always put into the box. It's no wonder both their gosls came from set pieces. Just highlites the differences between us and them. And that's an incredibly simple tactic to pull off. They must work on it in training. I don't see why we don't employ the same methods.

That's what's so frustrating. Perez has shown he can win headers, as have Colo and Cisse. But we rely on the same method.

Also if we earn a free kick quite far from the area, we play it short. We don't create many chance anyway, we might as well risk it by putting the ball in the box like Arsenal did yesterday. Cause some panic, a mistake, anything.

Colo is very decent on the air when nobody is around him. Unfortunately the only way that's possible on corners is to put him well outside the box. Surrounded by bodies he tends to win absolutely nothing. He doesn't have the leap, the size or the strength.

Those Barton to Colo corners weren't that bad. I remember him hitting the bar one time.

Point is, though, we need to take advantage of everything we get. Our record under Pardew was pathetic from set pieces. They've picked up a bit this season.

That's what's so frustrating. Perez has shown he can win headers, as have Colo and Cisse. But we rely on the same method.

Also if we earn a free kick quite far from the area, we play it short. We don't create many chance anyway, we might as well risk it by putting the ball in the box like Arsenal did yesterday. Cause some panic, a mistake, anything.

I take it you've never seen the 6.5 billion times Krul/Elliot took a FK from the half way line that amounted to absolutely no threat whatsoever? I would definitely rather we took these types of fouls short tbh.