NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

55 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Knew there was a very good chance I'd wake up to that exact post.

I was so close last night to saying that I'd be open to keeping our current crest so long as we can make the seahorses/hippocampi sluttier :lol:

My own response; I'd far rather things were left alone, but if it did change I suppose I would want something significantly different. Not a fan of the old crests, assuming the city crest is out the window. Circular is incredibly dull now.

Edited by 80

I’m generally not that arsed about the badge, but having something that’s a bit more old school is quite a nice differentiator. 

We could go down the Liverpool route and have an official club crest and then one that goes on the kits, like they do with the liver bird.

10 minutes ago, 80 said:

My own response; I'd far rather things were left alone, but if it did change I suppose I would want something significantly different. Not a fan of the old crests, assuming the city crest is out the window. Circular is incredibly dull now.

I’d prefer the city crest, but my understanding - and I’m happy for anyone to let me know I’ve got this one wrong - is that we can’t make money from the city coat of arms, and therefore while we can use it, we can’t trademark it or make money sticking it on things to flog.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Love our crest, hope it never changes. Those modern circular ones are mostly shite and soulless. Think our previous circular crests are shite as well.

The magpie one always looked nice and European - but I’ve never been a fan of the NUF(upside down)C we had when I was a kid. 

2 hours ago, NE27 said:

I love our current crest but can 100% see it being changed sooner rather than later.

Bristol city is one of the few that stand out for me as being a positive change from old fashioned coat of arms to a modern take.

If they knock up a few variants and stick it out to vote id be happy.

If we were to simplify the badge/crest, I wouldn't be against this mock up. 

5c32f688280251.5dd1fba245cf7.jpg

51 minutes ago, christ said:

I’m generally not that arsed about the badge, but having something that’s a bit more old school is quite a nice differentiator. 

We could go down the Liverpool route and have an official club crest and then one that goes on the kits, like they do with the liver bird.

Yes, I've thought about this also. I would be happy with multiple logos, to be used in different contexts. Now bracing to be told copyright lawyers and such will blow it out of the water, however...

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’d prefer the city crest, but my understanding - and I’m happy for anyone to let me know I’ve got this one wrong - is that we can’t make money from the city coat of arms, and therefore while we can use it, we can’t trademark it or make money sticking it on things to flog.

Yes, that's my understanding also. Plus the picture is intricate, which means it isn't optimized for showing in Google searches or verbally describing......................

The current crest is all I've known so I'll be gutted if/when it changes. But I appreciate its a 35 year old crest in a club's 130 year history so it isn't sacred at all.

Generic circular is the way it's going unfortunately. If we go circular I hope we keep some individuality to it, whether that be retaining a seahorse or two, or returning to a magpie.

Personally I think the magpie badge is shit. We’re only associated with magpies because they’re black and white like our kit. They’ve got no broader connection with the city. As a one city club I love that our badge is a play on the city’s crest. I don’t mind that being modernised. 

Really think our badge is the best in the league. As far as modernised ones go I think Man City’s is pretty good. Old badge, city connections, modernised and put inside a circle. 

4 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Personally I think the magpie badge is shit. We’re only associated with magpies because they’re black and white like our kit. They’ve got no broader connection with the city. As a one city club I love that our badge is a play on the city’s crest. I don’t mind that being modernised. 

Really think our badge is the best in the league. As far as modernised ones go I think Man City’s is pretty good. Old badge, city connections, modernised and put inside a circle. 

The nickname comes from the kit, but the nickname was around for decades before we even started having a badge on the kit at all.  Completely accept the points you’re making, though. 

1 hour ago, ilikenewcastle said:

I'm probably a bit too superstitious to want a badge with a single magpie on.

In folklore they’re also associated with grabbing and taking silver objects, so I wouldn’t worry about it - those folktales clearly have no truth to them :) 

On 17/03/2023 at 22:11, BrianSwan said:

What do you lot think of your current badge? did you like your previous two more? It seems like a trend for clubs to go for circular badges right now. Would you mind having your old magpie badge?

I think we're lucky that our previous badge fits the criteria for trimming production costs and having that retro feel. When the inevitable happens, I hope they just revert back to it.

On 18/03/2023 at 19:16, HaydnNUFC said:

Love our crest, hope it never changes. Those modern circular ones are mostly shite and soulless. Think our previous circular crests are shite as well.

Yep. The badge/crest needs to reflect the city like the current one.