100 Greatest Premier League players

Cronky

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11153856/Premier-Leagues-100-greatest-ever-players.html

I thought this was a very good list. (hope it's not been posted before) It brings home just how much outstanding talent we've seen over the last 20 years.

I agreed with a lot of the choices, but I think they've under-rated Suarez and Aguero.

I can see the reasoning behind Giggs at Number 1, given the number of games and trophies, but purely on ability I wouldn't have him up there.

Cantona made a difference to an already good Man U side, but again I wouldn't have him in the top 10.

One thing these lists never take into account is the standard of the league in the 1990s. It wasn't good. England was ranked 7th in the coefficients in 1996 and even 1999 still only 6th. The European ban took a long time  for English clubs to get over. This is why the likes of Cantona (and unfortunately our squad in that era) have to be looked through this spectrum IMO. Cantona is has built up with this ridiculous mystique by Man Utd fans despite the fact they routinely did shite in Europe.

I say this all of the time, but if you look at players who have played in the Premiership era there's only Schmeichel who is a genuine contender for greatest of all time in his position.

I say this all of the time, but if you look at players who have played in the Premiership era there's only Schmeichel who is a genuine contender for greatest of all time in his position.

Aye true, closest one after that is maybe Ashley Cole?

One thing these lists never take into account is the standard of the league in the 1990s. It wasn't good. England was ranked 7th in the coefficients in 1996 and even 1999 still only 6th. The European ban took a long time  for English clubs to get over. This is why the likes of Cantona (and unfortunately our squad in that era) have to be looked through this spectrum IMO. Cantona is has built up with this ridiculous mystique by Man Utd fans despite the fact they routinely did s**** in Europe.

Cantona single handedly won Man U the title when we should have won it. During the run in he scored many vital goals in 1-0 wins or draws.

Regardless, he's still too high at 8th.

Cantona is built up into this almost mythical figure by the Sky hype machine because he strutted around, drop kicked a fan, and acted cool/aloof in interviews despite the fact he was starring in the 7th best league in Europe at the time.

Regardless, he's still too high at 8th.

Agree completely, always considered Cantona to be vastly overrated. The fact Shearer was the only striker who routinely continued to score after those years and the likes of Fowler etc fell by the wayside says a lot about the overall quality difference.

Guest firetotheworks

Well it's also to do with the fact they got old.

That's the case with Cantona, but not with the likes of Sutton, Dublin, Fowler etc etc.

Robbie Fowler was an excellent striker, there's no way he should be mentioned with those two like.

Beardsley and Tim Cahill right next to each other  :lol:

Obviously that's ludicrous, but Pedro's best days came before the inception of the PL.

Agree that Cantona should be pretty high, mind. He delivered time and time again when it mattered.

Guest firetotheworks

Beardsley and Tim Cahill right next to each other  :lol:

Obviously that's ludicrous, but Pedro's best days came before the inception of the PL.

Agree that Cantona should be pretty high, mind. He delivered time and time again when it mattered.

Beardsley himself reckons he was better with us. Then again he reckons Mike Ashley's a sound bloke.

Ljungberg at 96 is criminally low.

:thup: thought exactly the same. So odd to have him nowhere near Pires etc when they all came as a bit of a package.

Guest firetotheworks

There's always going to be disagreements on placings etc, but when I saw David Batty that high I thought I might have seen Rob Lee somewhere.