Charlie Austin

HawK

Guest palnese

So now someone will sign him on 1st January on a pre-contract agreement and get him for free next year.

Well done QPR, I'm sure the £2m more that you asked for from Leicester is worth losing him for nowt.

Doubt he'll go abroad.

So now someone will sign him on 1st January on a pre-contract agreement and get him for free next year.

Well done QPR, I'm sure the £2m more that you asked for from Leicester is worth losing him for nowt.

Hilarious really. They compete with us for the worst run football club ever, just on opposite ends of the scale as such.

Can't believe Austin, at the age of 26, and without that much PL experience (even if his goalscoring record is exceptional) would want to stay in the Championship. Surprised he didn't do the whole diva thing and try and force a move...but fair play to him.

Fair play to him indeed. He's handled himself brilliantly during the who saga. Type of character you want in your squad.

Not sure I agree, I don't understand why he didn't force it. He's 26, and it's a short career.

especially with the euros coming up, sure he'd be an outside contender but another season like last one goal wise and he'd be in consideration for the squad. Then again do we need another player crying and moaning because he won't be getting a slightly larger sack of money each month?

Fair play to him indeed. He's handled himself brilliantly during the who saga. Type of character you want in your squad.

Not sure I agree, I don't understand why he didn't force it. He's 26, and it's a short career.

especially with the euros coming up, sure he'd be an outside contender but another season like last one goal wise and he'd be in consideration for the squad. Then again do we need another player crying and moaning because he won't be getting a slightly larger sack of money each month?

All credit to him for not acting so selfish. Hope he does well this season and in his career.

All credit to him for not acting so selfish. Hope he does well this season and in his career.

he'll probably be off in jan anyway, somebody down near the bottom will be desperate enough with the new tv deal starting next season (i think) to pay whatever to get a goalscorer.

he'll probably be off in jan anyway, somebody down near the bottom will be desperate enough with the new tv deal starting next season (i think) to pay whatever to get a goalscorer.

I agree, one of the clubs in trouble will have no problem paying 15-20 million in transfer fees and a large deal, if it keeps them in the Premier League. The only worry for Austin is catastrophic injury.

On the flipside QPR will probably gamble keeping him and letting him walk for free to Spurs or wherever next year to keep him for an extra 6 months and in theory fire them into the Premier League.

If QPR are looking like they could get promoted, he will probably see it out rather than risk joining a club that could get relegated.

The main factor in him staying may be him personally not getting the type of deal he wanted, but at least he hasn't upset the fans.

If he scores twenty again (look how many Shola got) and is available on a Bosman, he'll get a fair chunk as a signing bonus wherever he goes. That might be worth more to him than the chance to play for Crystal Palace at this moment in time. Woy has also picked non Premiership goalies for England, and may have assured him that Austin does not need to be in the Premiership to be in contention.

• 2 weeks later...