England

Yorkie

Don't really get all the hate over the squad. Rashford is more than likely going to be cut from the main squad so is just going for the experience of being around the England set-up. Delph will probably get cut from the main squad too. Milner has earned his spot for his form since Klopp took over. Rooney is captain and still is capable of scoring important goals, has also been in good form for England recently. I can see why people have an issue with him picking Wilshere, but again I think he's likely to be cut from the squad unless he can get up to speed in these warm-up games and show enough in training. Everyone else has been part of the England set-up for a while and I would say mostly deserve their place in the squad. Who else exactly was he meant to pick? Are people genuinely getting upset that Mark Noble and Antonio aren't in the squad? :lol:

I don't hate the squad, mainly as I don't care that much, but if I were more invested in the England set-up I'd be pissed off because lessons haven't been learnt and this squad selection is symptomatic of bigger problems, where reputation continues to trump merit.

Carroll should be there ahead of Rooney. Not because Carroll is incredible, but because he provides a genuine alternative threat off the bench than what should be England's starting options (ie. Kane and Vardy). He's also in a bit of form which counts for a lot. Defoe should be in ahead of Rashford, but he doesn't play for Man Utd.

Antonio I think should be in the squad because he deserves it based on his play, yes.

Rooney is 100% shit now. It's incontrovertible at this point to anyone with eyes which aren't obscured by pride, bias or blind loyalty. The man can't run. His record in qualifying is irrelevant. Those fuckers got knocked out for a reason. :lol: Talking about his England form is deliberately misleading. Crouch has 22 in his last 42 internationally, but I wouldn't put him in the squad if he came out of international retirement. If England have aspirations to progress beyond qualification for the tournament proper, they should play their best hand. Spoiler: They won't.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd go with this.

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-85a96ed2f65ed9542f9398e260995f94.jpg

:icon_puke_r:

I was just about to post that very same thing!

I didnt notice at the time but it turns out I picked the exact team that beat Germany 3-2 the other week :lol: (apart from Welbeck who is injured)

That team & system worked well and needs to be built on

Don't really get all the hate over the squad. Rashford is more than likely going to be cut from the main squad so is just going for the experience of being around the England set-up. Delph will probably get cut from the main squad too. Milner has earned his spot for his form since Klopp took over. Rooney is captain and still is capable of scoring important goals, has also been in good form for England recently. I can see why people have an issue with him picking Wilshere, but again I think he's likely to be cut from the squad unless he can get up to speed in these warm-up games and show enough in training. Everyone else has been part of the England set-up for a while and I would say mostly deserve their place in the squad. Who else exactly was he meant to pick? Are people genuinely getting upset that Mark Noble and Antonio aren't in the squad? :lol:

I don't hate the squad, mainly as I don't care that much, but if I were more invested in the England set-up I'd be p*ssed off because lessons haven't been learnt and this squad selection is symptomatic of bigger problems, where reputation continues to trump merit.

Carroll should be there ahead of Rooney. Not because Carroll is incredible, but because he provides a genuine alternative threat off the bench than what should be England's starting options (ie. Kane and Vardy). He's also in a bit of form which counts for a lot. Defoe should be in ahead of Rashford, but he doesn't play for Man Utd.

Antonio I think should be in the squad because he deserves it based on his play, yes.

Rooney is 100% s*** now. It's incontrovertible at this point to anyone with eyes which aren't obscured by pride, bias or blind loyalty. The man can't run. His record in qualifying is irrelevant. Those f***ers got knocked out for a reason. :lol: Talking about his England form is deliberately misleading. Crouch has 22 in his last 42 internationally, but I wouldn't put him in the squad if he came out of international retirement. If England have aspirations to progress beyond qualification for the tournament proper, they should play their best hand. Spoiler: They won't.

Well seeing as Crouch hasn't played for England for years that's a bit of a daft comparison really. Rooney has to be in the squad in my opinion, especially ahead of someone like Carroll who has almost a 1 in 4 scoring record over his career. Yes he offers something different off the bench, but that option is basically long punts forward when you're desperate in the last few minutes. I don't think that makes him worthy of a place in the squad. I would also rather have Sturridge over Defoe. Rashford is there for experience and will be cut, there's no point taking Defoe to then cut him from the squad. I would say that together Rooney, Kane, Vardy and Sturridge offer pretty different options already, there's no need for a big old-fashioned target man.

There's no doubt that Antonio has had a good season, but I wouldn't play him as a right back ahead of Clyne or Walker and I wouldn't play him as a wide midfielder ahead of Townsend, Lallana or Sterling so I don't see any point in taking him ahead of players who've earned qualification.

I'd go with this I reckon.

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-eee100b7c20934114977b51f15cf55a8.jpg

It'll probably be something closer to this:

http://team-picker.files.bbci.co.uk/england-xi-d71ec34a7d9bfc734de146d6c3473933.jpg

Don't get the hate for Wilshere's selection. By the time the tournament starts he'll have been back in full training for 2 months with 5/6 games under his belt. He's comfortably good enough on ability so if anything, he'll be coming into the tournament nice & fresh.

If he gets injured he gets injured, that's what a 23 man squad is for.

Guest firetotheworks

I think Walcott, Leighton Baines and Jagielka can feel a bit aggrieved for various reasons. I'm not that bothered about Rashford being selected actually, sometimes you need that raw, fearless youth in the team to fuck shit up. I think having Delph and Wilshire in there is an absolute joke though. The lack of defenders available is alarming.

Don't get the hate for Wilshere's selection. By the time the tournament starts he'll have been back in full training for 2 months with 5/6 games under his belt. He's comfortably good enough on ability so if anything, he'll be coming into the tournament nice & fresh.

He was also our best player in qualifying. I don't get why everybody is obsessed with players needing to fulfill some kind of quota of games and performances in the run up to a tournament. The league season isn't like an audition. Yes pick players who are in form, absolutely, but you also need to pick quality. You don't take a load of jobbers ahead of more talented players just because they've done OK for mid table club x.