England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

We always used to have good keepers. Seaman should really have got in before Woods did after Shilton retired and actually Sir Bobby should really have jettisoned Shilton after Euro 88. The likes of Phil Parkes, Joe Corrigan and even Paul Cooper would have got a bundle of caps today.

Always used to like Nigel Martyn.

Yeah good keeper at both Palace and Leeds. Steve Ogrizovic should probably have been capped in the late 80s too.

So we need to move on from the old guard and start playing the younger generation, or/and stop playing kids from the big teams just because they play for big teams like Rashford or Lingaard? I'm so confused what the correct thing to say in the pub is :(

We always used to have good keepers. Seaman should really have got in before Woods did after Shilton retired and actually Sir Bobby should really have jettisoned Shilton after Euro 88. The likes of Phil Parkes, Joe Corrigan and even Paul Cooper would have got a bundle of caps today.

Yeah good keeper at both Palace and Leeds. Steve Ogrizovic should probably have been capped in the late 80s too.

Big Oggy was quality, like. Remember him making out of this world saves against Beardsley and Cantona in 93-94.

So we need to move on from the old guard and start playing the younger generation, or/and stop playing kids from the big teams just because they play for big teams like Rashford or Lingaard? I'm so confused what the correct thing to say in the pub is :(

How about pick 11 players who will make up a good team rather than 11 individual stars? Wales don't have better players than England, but collectively they look much more fluent. The problem with most England managers is they pick the team which they think will make the man in the pub happy.

Big Oggy was quality, like. Remember him making out of this world saves against Beardsley and Cantona in 93-94.

Ian Wright used to knee him in the face every season.

You remember 93-94? I thought you were younger than me. ???

Hell of a nice bloke too :thup:

Ian Wright used to knee him in the face every season.

Shithouse trick by a cowardly cunt.

How about pick 11 players who will make up a good team rather than 11 individual stars? Wales don't have better players than England, but collectively they look much more fluent. The problem with most England managers is they pick the team which they think will make the man in the pub happy.

Which 11 would that be then? I'm not really expecting you to answer that because at the moment there isn't really anything standing out to change (Rooney in midfield aside).

You remember 93-94? I thought you were younger than me. ???

He's had his first wave of the bat, dude.

Martyn was still brilliant when he played for Everton from 2003 - 2006 before he retired. Easily the best keeper we've had since Southall.

Martyn was still brilliant when he played for Everton from 2003 - 2006 before he retired. Easily the best keeper we've had since Southall.

Completely forgot he ended up at your place :thup:. Now Southall, what a fantastic keeper he was.  Definitely the best British keeper of the 80s, yet I cannot help but think that if he was English that he would hardly have played such was Sir Bobby's obsession/loyalty to Peter Shilton.

Which 11 would that be then? I'm not really expecting you to answer that because at the moment there isn't really anything standing out to change (Rooney in midfield aside).

It doesn't really matter which 11 as long as the manager has a coherent idea of how he wants to set the team up and how they are meant to play. That's why I said it's not about picking individual stars it's about knowing your method and which players suit it. Ironically Allardyce could be described as that except those methods were never going to work at international level.

That's fair but you get a couple of weeks every couple months to do it. The likes of Poch and Klopp get given the leeway of 'it might take them half a season to implement their style' when they get to work with the players almost every day.

The Carragher thing recently about Rafa doing drills on shape over and over again in training untill the players get it right. You just don't have the time to do that really at international level unless you're there and also use pretty much the same players for a long length of time

It's just a lot harder than people make it out to be. Which imakes it frustrating when people cry 'ohhh he should obviously be playing player x and dropping player y' when the fundamental problems will still exist.

I think you just need a clear idea of what your methods are then you can pick players who will suit that. Rafa would be a great international manager long term, because he would quickly assess those who can do what he needs and discard those that don't. The problem with McClaren and Hodgson is that they were just picking players who were flavour of the month and there wasn't any clear method. That's how you end up with Gerrard and Lampard in the same midfield.

I don't think anybody mentioned using the same players exclusively, the idea for me would be for a manager to have a clear method then use the players to execute it successfully. No reason why in form players couldn't be used in that formula.

Fair enough, I just mean sometimes you might have to change the formation slightly to accommodate the hot players. If only Kane is playing well then go 4-2-3-1, but if Rashford and Vardy are also scoring freely then may as well go 4-3-3.

What if playing 4-3-3 plays right into the hands of the opposition? Every game is different unless you are much better than everyone else. I think all you can really ask for is a manager with some pedigree and a good reputation in the game, then let him get on with it.