England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

3 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

There definitely just seems to be an English mindset of being a bit cynical of being aggressive, risk-taking, backing out abilities etc. I agree with previous comments that we set up like underdogs despite having arguably the second best squad in a tournament virtually hosted at home for us. This seems to get reflected in some of our fans who think the team were brave heroes for winning a few games they should have won. Those Sports Personality awards were a joke. 

Spot on mate. Britain has a 'Brave loser' mentality. We need to get away from this and be a bit more cutthroat. We need to have a 'Get 'em down and kick 'em whilst their down and keep kicking them' mentality and instill that fight into the players.

As a said a few weeks ago, I'd be happier in a team of winners than I would in a team of pals.

On 05/06/2022 at 16:26, Fantail Breeze said:

Minging football winning fuck all with one of the most talented attacking sides we’ve ever had in most of our lifetimes.

A decent manager and we’d have won the Euros. His tactical limitations fail us in the big games, this English side is good enough to beat a majority of the crap we’ve come up against by default.

Bizarre how much support he gets. Longer we keep him the less chance we’ll have of taking advantage of having such a decent squad. 

This team should walk into a QF/SF and easily will. That’ll be enough to keep him in a job and we’ll be stuck in this cycle forever.

Genuine question cos I haven't a clue, but are there any decent managers who would have stayed in the job long enough to reach that stage?

Even then though, regardless of whether or not we want more attractive football, that isn't Southgate's style. So expecting him to do this or that would be like us expecting Rafa to play tika-taka. 

I don't like Southgate's style at all, and there's many changes I would like to see made in a hypothetical scenario, but his team selections and matchday tactics are part of a larger package which has unquestionably gotten results.

I get that people don't want him managing the team, but pretending like our results from the past two tournaments mean nowt like some people are is just daft.

24 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Even then though, regardless of whether or not we want more attractive football, that isn't Southgate's style. So expecting him to do this or that would be like us expecting Rafa to play tika-taka. 

I don't like Southgate's style at all, and there's many changes I would like to see made in a hypothetical scenario, but his team selections and matchday tactics are part of a larger package which has unquestionably gotten results.

I get that people don't want him managing the team, but pretending like our results from the past two tournaments mean nowt like some people are is just daft.

Agree with this, though he does have players from some of the best teams in the world playing consistently exciting and attacking football. I think he’s restricting them from playing their natural game - understandable to an extent - but too far imo. Defensive managers tend to be effective (like Rafa at Newcastle) because the players available encourage that. 

2 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Agree with this, though he does have players from some of the best teams in the world playing consistently exciting and attacking football. I think he’s restricting them from playing their natural game - understandable to an extent - but too far imo. Defensive managers tend to be effective (like Rafa at Newcastle) because the players available encourage that. 

Problem is that most of England's players are not the top players in those teams. 

I don't have too many problems with Southgate as I don't think our players are half as good as they are hyped up to be apart from Foden, Kane and our fullbacks. My one criticism of Southgate is that if we play Rice and Phillips then I'd always have TAA in the team as there should be sufficient cover for when he bombs forward. 

Guest HTT II

People call this a golden generation, it really isn’t. We have some very good players, but not any real outstanding ones other than one or two. Again, the early 90s England could call on Shearer, Wright, Cole, Sheringham, Sutton, Dublin, Fowler, Le Tissier, later on Owen, Sir Les, an embarrassment of riches. We had Seaman, Flowers and Woods as ‘keeper. In defence we had Keown, Pallister, Adams, Southgate himself, Parker, Neville, Le Saux, in midfield Gazza, Platt, Lee, Batty, Ince, Redknapp, Macmanaman, later on Scholes, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard. What we have now is a team of players that are similar ability wise regardless of position, are well stocked at both full-back and lack a creative playmaker. We have Kane as our only real world-class player. England would struggle to finish top 4 in the PL. that’s not so much down to Southgate, but genuine real quality in key ears, central defence, central midfield and supporting centre-forwards. He’s done an amazing job really. I’d like to see us be more adventurous and we have the players and we need to start doing so especially when in the lead or we have the upper hand because under Southgate the times we have, we’ve blown teams away.

Guest HTT II
5 hours ago, triggs said:

Can't see any defensive issues with that Maguire-Grealish left side axis

That’s why Rice and Phillips are in the team… defend from the front, attack and the other team can’t get at you.

Edited by HTT II

The players are pretty strong in their teams like, and this is the most technically gifted generation we’ve maybe ever had. 

Of course the likes of De Bruyne are the best players in their clubs, but those other players don’t all come from the same country. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Guest HTT II

Southgate has got a young team well organised and we do keep the ball well, often having more possession than the other team which was a disease of our national team years gone by, but we do lack a direct cutting threat and if Kane isn’t banging in penalties or we score from another set play, we seem to struggle. It’s becoming quite a theme.

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

That’s why Rice and Phillips are in the team… defend from the front, attack and the other team can’t get at you.

All they'd have to do is kick the ball down the left wing and you'd be fucked :lol: 

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, triggs said:

All they'd have to do is kick the ball down the left wing and you'd be fucked :lol: 

If only football was that simple eh…

Guest HTT II
Just now, triggs said:

Yes if only it was as simple as not playing full backs :lol:

Who needs full-backs, or centre-forwards, liquid football. 

9 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Please can we stop making Sweet Caroline a thing?

If we can also stop hey Jude being a thing at st James park . Overplayed shite and nothing to do with football