England

Yorkie

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

You can't not play Foden with the season he's having

You can’t not play Bellingham, Rice, Kane, Gordon or Saka with the seasons they’re having either. That’s why some people are picking them all and Foden. The questions are (a) will that truly be our best team? and (b) does that expose our defence too much?

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

You can’t not play Bellingham, Rice, Kane, Gordon or Saka with the seasons they’re having either. That’s why some people are picking them all and Foden. The questions are (a) will that truly be our best team? and (b) does that expose our defence too much?

Foden would play ahead of Gordon for me, though you can play both if you’re not Southgate and don’t insist on playing two holding midfielders

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Foden would play ahead of Gordon for me, though you can play both if you’re not Southgate and don’t insist on playing two holding midfielders

Foden has been pretty average when playing for England, but I put that purely down to Southgate

New coach for Brasil today and both sides with lots of players out for injury.

That was BR best game in more than a year, 30s in and we were linking passes with 1 touches and backhill's, also we got very lucky with Walker's injury.

For the newbies, amazing game for Bento, Beraldo, Wendell and Endrick. All of them making their debut for the national team in wembley. 

Special shout for Bento and Endrick.

Bento, 24, first game as BR goalkeaper, at wembley against UK, first 20 minutes he was very nervous but after the first save he came into his own.

Endrick, 17, always looking like a generational talent, if he continues like this, the sky isn't the limit.

14 minutes ago, JNK said:

Bento, 24, first game as BR goalkeaper, at wembley against UK, first 20 minutes he was very nervous but after the first save he came into his own.

Cue angry Scots, Welsh and Norn Iron readers

Edited by TheBrownBottle

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He didn't play two holding midfielders though. Rice was holding, and Gallagher was pressing - sometimes even near the opposing penalty area. He even popped up on the RW occasionally.

It could work with Foden doing that job, but then I fear that the defence as a whole is simply not good enough at either recycling the ball or defending any breakdown. Would be fun to try, but yesterday you had a back four where three players weren’t quite up to it after Walker went off, which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Just now, leffe186 said:

He didn't play two holding midfielders though. Rice was holding, and Gallagher was pressing - sometimes even near the opposing penalty area. He even popped up on the RW occasionally.

It could work with Foden doing that job, but then I fear that the defence as a whole is simply not good enough at either recycling the ball or defending any breakdown. Would be fun to try, but yesterday you had a back four where three players weren’t quite up to it after Walker went off, which is a disaster waiting to happen.

He didn’t vs Brazil, but it’s been his preference for some time.  It was ‘experimental’ vs Brazil.  Southgate is too conservative not to revert to type when it counts

The defence and goalkeepers are a long way short IMO - particularly the centre half options.  Maguire is just shite at that level - that back pass … but then look at the other options.  Dunk is hardly an international class centre back

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

He didn’t vs Brazil, but it’s been his preference for some time.  It was ‘experimental’ vs Brazil.  Southgate is too conservative not to revert to type when it counts

The defence and goalkeepers are a long way short IMO - particularly the centre half options.  Maguire is just shite at that level - that back pass … but then look at the other options.  Dunk is hardly an international class centre back

I agree but really don’t get why Tomori hasn’t gotten more of a look in. I thought he was exceptional against us in the CL. Especially the 1st leg. Plays for a top side like AC but never really gets a sniff. 

Just now, Likelylad said:

I agree but really don’t get why Tomori hasn’t gotten more of a look in. I thought he was exceptional against us in the CL. Especially the 1st leg. Plays for a top side like AC but never really gets a sniff. 

Yeah I’d have given Tomori a go.  Odd that he hasn’t been

31 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed on the defence. It’s not even the clangers with Maguire: he makes routine little defensive errors that get exploited by players at this level. Couple that with Chilwell having a mare and that’s the left side of defence up the Khyber. 

I thought Pickford was terrific though. Not half as worried about him.

29 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah I’d have given Tomori a go.  Odd that he hasn’t been

Isn’t he still injured? Picked up a nasty one in December that was supposed to keep him out for at least a couple of months.

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

Isn’t he still injured? Picked up a nasty one in December that was supposed to keep him out for at least a couple of months.

Been back since the start of March. So longer than Chilwell the perma-crock

8 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

Eh

Edit: not sure why that came out like I was wrestling my phone off the dog. Not even sure what it was meant to say.

Anyway, apparently Saka is carrying a knock and has been playing with pain killing injections for a while.

5 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Been back since the start of March. So longer than Chilwell the perma-crock

That’s weird unless he’s been speaking to Milan and trying to manage the injury a bit. Seemed like Tomori was a solid fixture in the squad.

Not sure why any of our fans give a fuck about England the amount of shite we get from other clubs fans

Could never imagine going to watch them sat next to mackems and Everton fans who give us shit week in week out

Fuck that.

33 minutes ago, jack j said:

Not sure why any of our fans give a fuck about England the amount of shite we get from other clubs fans

Could never imagine going to watch them sat next to mackems and Everton fans who give us shit week in week out

Fuck that.

I was working at HMV on Oxford St when England played Argentina in the Beckham game. Me and an Arsenal fan (hope you’re doing well, Jeff) were in the pub jumping up and down, hugging and screaming when the Campbell “goal” went in. Genuinely one of the best moments I’ve ever had as a football supporter, albeit very brief.

It’s up to you of course. I support Spurs because of my Dad and growing up in the community. I support England because of my Dad and growing up in the community. I feel a little bad that you’re missing out on a lot of stuff, but if you don’t support England then that’s it. Just…you’re doing it because some other fans were nasty to you?

Saw a fair bit of the game (no audio) at a bar last night. This England feels like Belgium's golden era team - wasted by Martinez/Southgate.

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Fuck that.

My way of thinking too. And the fact they play their home games 6 hours away.

10 hours ago, leffe186 said:

We had Gallagher in a more defensive role yesterday, get regularly bypassed by Brazil and defence exposed loads by simple balls. So it wouldn’t be any more exposed.

Sick of watching England in the games against ‘named’ sides, and Southgate take the cautious, pragmatic approach. Why our record is so poor in them, like 4 wins in 25 against top 10 ranked countries at the time? 

Argument mostly comes down to, a defensive approach wins tournaments. But how about trying our own approach and changing that narrative whilst we’ve got an abundance of exciting attacking talent. Maguire is Maguire, we’ll concede one from a mistake in big games regardless, but at set up to create more and hopefully score more.