England

Yorkie

24 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

What era are they playing in? Present day? I think I'd only bring Terry and Cole in for Maguire and Chilwell (lolz) in the back 5. There's an argument for Rooney but you can't drop Kane. Bellingham, Rice, Saka, Foden all start for me too. I'd stick Gazza in to complete it.

He did say it's based purely on ability and not how they performed for England, so the likes of Rooney and Scholes have to be in surely. Terry and Cole nailed on. 

Again Scholes - even at CM, never really did it for England. I think he said himself he struggled physically with summer tournaments and could only play 60-70 minutes if the weather was too hot for him.

As good as he is - has Foden ever truly shone for England?

41 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

What era are they playing in? Present day? I think I'd only bring Terry and Cole in for Maguire and Chilwell (lolz) in the back 5. There's an argument for Rooney but you can't drop Kane. Bellingham, Rice, Saka, Foden all start for me too. I'd stick Gazza in to complete it.

Their own era

A midfield of Rice, Bellingham and Gerard would be great, in theory.

I’d also go for Rooney in on the left, Rio in for Maguire and obviously Ashley Cole. Possibly unfair to not have Beckham or the Raheem Sterling of a few years ago in this xi too.

Peak Hargreaves / Ince / Batty would get in this England team if we must persist with the current system. Putting Lampard, Gerrard or Scholes in would probably cause similar problems except this time they're nullifying Bellingham instead of each other. 

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Peak Tom Huddlestone would get into this team.

Scott Parker would get into this team.

Tom Huddlestone 😂

Fuck me!

Which tournament was he great at?

Sol & Ferdinand were better in 2002 than Terry ever was at a major tournament for England.

I remember thinking Terry was at fault for Portugal's goals in 2004.

2006 England for some reason I struggle to remember any goals except Joe Cole's against Sweden. 

Aye, Huddlestone was amazing at striking a ball and have it glide along the ground or just kiss the turf at huge pace. Seemed a good lad, not exactly a complete player though. Scott Parker is like a less physical version of Conor Gallagher 

2 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

Tom Huddlestone 😂

Fuck me!

That's my point. I think Huddlestone would start in this squad. At least make the squad. Peak Huddlestone was better than this version of Henderson or Philips. And he's better suited to international football than Conor Gallagher in this role.

Conor Gallagher isn't good at that deeper role man.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Aye, Huddlestone was amazing at striking a ball and have it glide along the ground or just kiss the turf at huge pace. Seemed a good lad, not exactly a complete player though. Scott Parker is like a less physical version of Conor Gallagher 

He was fantastic with both feet.

Doesn't get in this England team though.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Spurs Scott Parker just sitting in front of the defence and letting the rest play - I think he could do a better job than what Conor offers as an 8 or whatever he was doing on Saturday.

My Huddlestone shout is coming from how well Jorginho works with Rice. Rice's biggest limitation is his passing through the lines and general deeper progression. Huddlestone could do that brilliantly and Rice would cover for his lack of legs.

Conor Gallagher running around like a headless chicken doesn't cut it.