England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Don't understand this patter about picking versatile players when you have a 23 man squad. If you simply pick 2 players for every position it's generally always fine and you end up with loads of players not even featuring.

Don't understand this patter about picking versatile players when you have a 23 man squad. If you simply pick 2 players for every position it's generally always fine and you end up with loads of players not even featuring.

:thup:

that squad is an absolute fucking joke like, stinks of a manager who doesn't have a clue what he wants to do and is trying to cover his arse

I'd have thought the advantage of a versatile squad would be to free up a couple of places for wildcards, players who offer something completely different - Carroll or Shelvey perhaps, or Sancho. But there's none of that really. Just a mass of defenders who can do a ropey job in midfield.

Wait, where the hell is Chris Smalling? He's the best English Center Back IMO. Has his faults but he's usually very commanding and great on the ball.

He's not picked exactly because he definitely is not great on the ball

:lol: I feel like Lascelles didn't put a foot wrong the entire fucking season. It's odd that he's not guaranteed a place.

:lol: I know. I can barely remember a mistake he's made.

He's not featured in the qualifiers / recent matches. I agree wholeheartedly that he should clearly be in the squad on merit, but it honestly just feels like Southgate has a set team and wanted to go into the WC without to many changes to a winning side - even if said side is shit.

:lol: I feel like Lascelles didn't put a foot wrong the entire f***ing season. It's odd that he's not guaranteed a place.

It's because he doesn't play for a team in Manchester, London or Liverpool.

:lol: I feel like Lascelles didn't put a foot wrong the entire fucking season. It's odd that he's not guaranteed a place.

:lol: I know. I can barely remember a mistake he's made.

In terms of mistakes that have led to goals you must be able to count them on 1 hand like. In comparison Maguire who's on the plane made fucking 2 in 1 game against us :lol:

[emoji38] I feel like Lascelles didn't put a foot wrong the entire fucking season. It's odd that he's not guaranteed a place.

[emoji38] I know. I can barely remember a mistake he's made.

[emoji38] Not even English and I'm rattled.

[emoji38] I feel like Lascelles didn't put a foot wrong the entire fucking season. It's odd that he's not guaranteed a place.

In terms of mistakes that have led to goals you must be able to count them on 1 hand like. In comparison Maguire who's on the plane made fucking 2 in 1 game against us [emoji38]

And should have been sent off

[emoji38] Not even English and I'm rattled.

It's crazy.  We go from losing every single game to prolonged top half form entirely based on his presence.  For a 22 year old he's ridiculously influential yet he barely even had any hype from the press in the same way Shelvey has a bit lately.

Southgate says the England squad isn't a gamble....damn right about that apart from Alexander-Arnold it's the safest 23 I've ever seen. No gamble, no inspiration, no chance.

Even TAA isn't much of a gamble with two right backs ahead of him in the squad

I'd have thought the advantage of a versatile squad would be to free up a couple of places for wildcards, players who offer something completely different - Carroll or Shelvey perhaps, or Sancho. But there's none of that really. Just a mass of defenders who can do a ropey job in midfield.

Exactly this, and midfielders who can do a ropey job at the back.

I don't mind the squad other than obviously Lascelles and Shelvey should be in on merit. It's pretty clear what Southgate wants to do is play a consistent back 5 and then have options with the 5 ahead of them, be it 5-3-2, 5-2-3 or a 5-4-1 diamond.