England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Barkley plays at that classic 100mph pace you see a lot of English players play at or try to, Wilshere, Milner, Gerrard, Rooney etc. and while it has its advantages especially in the domestic league, internationally and when it comes to fitness and injuries such a style or way of playing can take its toll. For me England's  3 best players over the last 10-15 years from midfield have been Scholes, Lampard and Joe Cole. Players who didn't run around like bull dogs chasing everything and everyone. Players who could control a game. Barkley needs to slow down, right down, and look up. Put his foot on the ball and just take some time to think. He has all the ability in the world, but when you're constantly running around, chasing things down and always looking to be the hero, it effects your decision making which is ultimately what makes or breaks a great player. Pirlo, Iniesta, Xavi... they didn't tackle anything that moved or rush their play. Its an English disease that lives on the stands and in the kids game at grassroots level.

i agrree, we keep producing midfielders who run around a lot and score great goals but dont create or dont hoid the ball

Alli, although a different type of player, is where Barkley should be in his development. He's had a good couple of years now at the top level and he's still making appalling decisions on the pitch. I'd like to think it will come because he's excellent with the ball at his feet and running with it, but if he can't start picking the right balls then Alli has to take precedence. Then I again I just think Dele Alli is fucking mint.

Near enough word-for-word what I said to someone the other week when we were discussing the same topic. The first sentence pretty much nails it. :thup:

Barkley plays at that classic 100mph pace you see a lot of English players play at or try to, Wilshere, Milner, Gerrard, Rooney etc. and while it has its advantages especially in the domestic league, internationally and when it comes to fitness and injuries such a style or way of playing can take its toll. For me England's  3 best players over the last 10-15 years from midfield have been Scholes, Lampard and Joe Cole. Players who didn't run around like bull dogs chasing everything and everyone. Players who could control a game. Barkley needs to slow down, right down, and look up. Put his foot on the ball and just take some time to think. He has all the ability in the world, but when you're constantly running around, chasing things down and always looking to be the hero, it effects your decision making which is ultimately what makes or breaks a great player. Pirlo, Iniesta, Xavi... they didn't tackle anything that moved or rush their play. Its an English disease that lives on the stands and in the kids game at grassroots level.

Also the fast paced football works well in the British climate and on our grounds, but often abroad it's too hot and humid to play at that pace, and quite often the grounds are bigger so it's harder to close teams down.

Alli has made a massive impact, no doubt about it, and he looks the real deal but we will have to wait and see if he can keep it up. I really hope he can but a fair few have made a similar impact and then fallen away to a degree. Really hope he is the real deal.

if we're choosing between them its madness, they need to both be in the squad, them in a midfield with one other player defensively minded, probably going to be henderson. There are no other english midfielders up to scratch. If delph had stayed fit at a club hed get games maybe but i remain unconvinced by him.

All england ever produces is direct midfielders (and strikers). Then at about 25 they're told that they actually need a few technical skills. At which point they drop deeper and become ineffective and miserable to watch.

You just know Delph and Henderson will be picked in the starting 11 instead of these two  ;D

And the pundits wiill praise them for being brave and running around a lot, the only qualities our pundits care about

Also rooney will be in no 10 role ahead of barkley so even with 3 midfielders we wont see them

You just know Delph and Henderson will be picked in the starting 11 instead of these two  ;D

And the pundits wiill praise them for being brave and running around a lot, the only qualities our pundits care about

Also rooney will be in no 10 role ahead of barkley so even with 3 midfielders we wont see them

So depressingly true. Almost hoping for a Rooney injury before the Euros, because on his form this season, he shouldn't be near a starting spot, and I can't see Roy benching him.

I don't think being in 'pretty good' form should be enough to get you in the england squad, but it will be. Unfortunately he probably would still be there if he was in a coma. Maybe if he manages to rack up a fair few goals before summer? but hasnt his revival come from being in the no 9 position for once and not in that deeper role anyway?

Alli has made a massive impact, no doubt about it, and he looks the real deal but we will have to wait and see if he can keep it up. I really hope he can but a fair few have made a similar impact and then fallen away to a degree. Really hope he is the real deal.

Discussed this the other day and the impact Alli is having now is similar to when Jenas was with us in his early days.

IMO if he stays fit and keeps up a level of strong performance. Delli Alli starts.

The only thing Barkley has over him is the direct running with the ball. Alli is better in every other way from what i've seen.

Don't say that like it's not an important attribute :lol:

Alli is more of a CM, but I'd have Barkley as a #10 all day over Alli.

IMO if he stays fit and keeps up a level of strong performance. Delli Alli starts.

The only thing Barkley has over him is the direct running with the ball. Alli is better in every other way from what i've seen.

Don't say that like it's not an important attribute :lol:

Alli is more of a CM, but I'd have Barkley as a #10 all day over Alli.

Actually Think Barkley's passing is better in general play (but Everton play a more patient style which helps).  Which is better used deeper.  Alli gives the ball away a fair bit at CM but works much better off the ball. 

Guest Howaythetoon

Discussed this the other day and the impact Alli is having now is similar to when Jenas was with us in his early days.

Good shout, he has far more heart and seems tougher mentally, however. He could be a really really good player for England. We have some good youngsters, but for whatever reason they never seem to be trusted together. Put Barkley and Alli together and see how they do. Its got to be better than Henderson and fucking Milner or whoever.

Mentally he seems an absolutely t***.

You mean Alli? Actually, I suspect that his mentality is where he has the edge over Barkley. I think Barkley has better technique - Alli's goal against Palace notwithstanding - and is a better passer, but Alli is three years younger, and in theory a couple of years behind in his development. The most impressive thing for me is that Alli seems to understand the gritty side of the game. He uses his strength better than Barkley IMO, and can be an irritating sod, but usually knows where to draw the line.

He's got a long way to go though, and is definitely being over-hyped right now. Many Spurs fans would not even pick him in their first XI, because he is still a bit raw and his protection of the ball is still suspect. He definitely has a goal-scoring knack, arguably more so than Barkley.

I don't think he's really ready to be a regular for England, just too much to learn. A useful guy to bring on late, maybe, when the oppo is knackered. I think the two of them are just too similar to play together. Maybe in a few years.