England

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

Brilliant (long!) read about France 98 - some great insight!

I didn’t realise Osama’s mob wanted to kill Big Al!

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-the-1998-world-cup_sto6795833/story.shtml

Really enjoyed that apart from the Campbell "goal". It was never a foul in a million years.

Shearer full on elbowed the Argie keeper :lol:

It would be a foul now, but it wasn't then. The 'keeper didn't even react to it, it was really soft.

When did elbowing keepers in the head become a foul?

When it's barely an elbow at all? When the 'keeper doesn't react because he barely touched him, if at all? As I said, it was really soft.

Guest firetotheworks

It was a clear foul by Shearer back in 1998, nevermind now.

It really wasn't like. Not in England anyway.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-the-1998-world-cup_sto6795833/story.shtml

Really enjoyed that apart from the Campbell "goal". It was never a foul in a million years.

It would be a foul now, but it wasn't then. The 'keeper didn't even react to it, it was really soft.

When it's barely an elbow at all? When the 'keeper doesn't react because he barely touched him, if at all? As I said, it was really soft.

I'd suggest you watch it again. Barely an elbow my arse, and the keeper puts his hand up for a free kick straight away

Fucking hell, now I know how someone feels when they readone of my posts :lol:

Great read in all seriousness so thanks for sharing.

That’s what the W.C. should be about, drama! That was the last time I was genuinely interested in the W.C. and the national team. Today it’s very sterile and boring.

Before the tournament we had the drama of that night in Rome and then the fall-out of Gazza’s ommission and we had the prospect of a squad that looked on paper to have it all. Then it started and we had more drama with the exclusion of Beckham and Owen the two golden boys if English football and then needing to draw or win against Columbia and of course that epic game against Argentina. Even after the W.C. there was more drama with the fall-out from Beckham’s red card and Hoddle’s diary and sacking.

That was our best team/squad give or take a few and Hoddle for me our best manager in my time following football. And that game, it was like our 4-3 with Liverpool firs time around, just epic.

I remember the night well and Keegan saying Batty would score...

That was a great W.C., probably the best since I’ve been watching, although 94 will always go down as my fave as it was my first real W.C.

Happy days!

There's a really good 90s podcast named after that moment :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Fucking hell, now I know how someone feels when they readone of my posts :lol:

Great read in all seriousness so thanks for sharing.

That’s what the W.C. should be about, drama! That was the last time I was genuinely interested in the W.C. and the national team. Today it’s very sterile and boring.

Before the tournament we had the drama of that night in Rome and then the fall-out of Gazza’s ommission and we had the prospect of a squad that looked on paper to have it all. Then it started and we had more drama with the exclusion of Beckham and Owen the two golden boys if English football and then needing to draw or win against Columbia and of course that epic game against Argentina. Even after the W.C. there was more drama with the fall-out from Beckham’s red card and Hoddle’s diary and sacking.

That was our best team/squad give or take a few and Hoddle for me our best manager in my time following football. And that game, it was like our 4-3 with Liverpool firs time around, just epic.

I remember the night well and Keegan saying Batty would score...

That was a great W.C., probably the best since I’ve been watching, although 94 will always go down as my fave as it was my first real W.C.

Happy days!

There's a really good 90s podcast named after that moment :lol:

Link?

I’m paraphrasing here but the commentator, the great Brian Moore (my fave commentator) asked KK having managed him if Batty would score just as he was running up and KK said YES emphatically. Not the first KK WC faux pas after his comcommentary in USA 94 during the Brazil USA match lol:

Man France ‘98 was brilliant and again it was the last time I genuinley felt something for the National team and the tournament itself. I can’t remember any real huge expectations other than just going as far as we could as. Did t think we had a world-class player at the time, not even in Shearer. While we lost to Romania and Argentina of course, that game in itself the team played brilliantly to a man and again it was an epic game. Gutted, but not disappointed in the team.

I thought if we stuck with Hoddle with the emergence of Beckham, Scholes, Owen and soon to follow Gerrard, Rio and the others, we would have become a top team.

It wasn’t to be.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd suggest you watch it again. Barely an elbow my arse, and the keeper puts his hand up for a free kick straight away

Literally just watched it before posting.

the keeper puts his hand up for a free kick straight away

:lol: Kind of my point. Must have been a canny brutal elbow if he was able to immediately claim for a free kick, completely unaffected and standing.

I'm sure this is nothing to do with it being England like.

:lol: Kind of my point. Must have been a canny brutal elbow if he was able to immediately claim for a free kick, completely unaffected and standing.

Pretty similar reaction to how Karius reacted to Ramos' elbow the other week. Are you sure you're looking at it from the best angle?

Your last sentence is embarrassing

Guest firetotheworks

Pretty similar reaction to how Karius reacted to Ramos' elbow the other week. Are you sure you're looking at it from the best angle?

Accurate though.

The Karius elbow that wasn't a free kick to Liverpool, you mean? Karius went down and ironically wasn't given as a free kick.

Accurate though.

The Karius elbow that wasn't a free kick to Liverpool, you mean? Karius went down and ironically wasn't given as a free kick.

The elbow that he was concussed from :lol: There's something wrong with your eyes if you've seen the Shearer elbow from the best angle and don't think its a clear foul.

I have absolutely no dislike for England btw, not sure how you've come to that conclusion

Guest firetotheworks

Accurate though.

The elbow that he was concussed from :lol: There's something wrong with your eyes if you've seen the Shearer elbow from the best angle and don't think its a clear foul.

I have absolutely no dislike for England btw, not sure how you've come to that conclusion

Yeah, I know which one you mean and it was an obvious elbow and a foul should have been given. I'm saying Karius went down so it's nothing like the Argentina 'keeper incident. I've said it was a foul, just that it wasn't in '98, or at the least it was soft considering how unaffected the Argentina 'keeper was.

Is there anyone else who isn't really feeling it in regards to their support towards England in this upcoming World Cup?

I'm seeing all sorts on my Twitter and Facebook about how this squad is a group of "likeable" players who we should all rally behind and that to do so otherwise is being unnecessarily pessimistic and idiotic. I can understand the need for togetherness and "unconditional" support to help see the team through but there's still a few players in that squad who I really (maybe irrationally) detest and to bring myself to celebrate a success to those particular players would be a somewhat hard thing to do. My passion for the England team has really dwindled over the last 6 years or so and that's probably down to the constant disappointment during that time (in tandem with enduring us in that time as well). Who knows, maybe I'll put my fairweather hat on and get hyped when I watch that first England game but at the moment, there's nothing there :undecided:

Is there anyone else who isn't really feeling it in regards to their support towards England in this upcoming World Cup?

I'm seeing all sorts on my Twitter and Facebook about how this squad is a group of "likeable" players who we should all rally behind and that to do so otherwise is being unnecessarily pessimistic and idiotic. I can understand the need for togetherness and "unconditional" support to help see the team through but there's still a few players in that squad who I really (maybe irrationally) detest and to bring myself to celebrate a success to those particular players would be a somewhat hard thing to do. My passion for the England team has really dwindled over the last 6 years or so and that's probably down to the constant disappointment during that time (in tandem with enduring us in that time as well). Who knows, maybe I'll put my fairweather hat on and get hyped when I watch that first England game but at the moment, there's nothing there :undecided:

I think you're far from alone in holding that viewpoint. I'd wager most fans who don't have a representative from their team will be in the same boat.

I'm really looking forward to the World Cup but haven't been able to get behind England properly for a while now.

Find it very hard to get behind the England team most of the time. Not made any easier by the number of bellends in the team. Sterling, Cahill, Walker and Alli to name a few. Am sure that England team in 1996 pretty much has universal approval. Absolutely loved that side.

I’ve also only realised recently what an utterly punchable face Delle Alli has. He looks like he’s taking the piss.

Haven't supported England for years, since 2002. I don't actively despise them anymore though - seem like a good bunch of lads.

Such a good set coming through too, it could get exciting. And by exciting, I mean the occasional knockout win.

Guest Howaythetoon

If I was more interested in football as a whole these days I’d probably get behind the England team because there are no superstars and we are kind of underdogs nowadays even in our own country or perceived as such. I don’t rate Southgate at all really, but can see why the FA went with him and I like him so if he does well I’d be pleased. He’s doing a decent job overall.

Obviously if England did well and were to win it I’d celebrate it, but not passionately so and it wouldn’t bother me if we stink up the tournament or go out unless we go out undeservedly or go out after a heroic and worthy performance like against Argentina in 98.

The 96 and 98 teams had likeable players, likeable coaches even and top players and football back then was much more enjoyable and seemed more important to players and the nation. Maybe years makes one more sentimental and forgiving...

The WC being in Russia too bothers me on a human level. I’ll watch some games, hope England does well enough for Southgate and some of the players I like and rate and you never know, as a father now, this being the WC with two boys who kind of like football and are now getting into it, I may indulge in it with a bit more heart or certainly interest as the heart went a long time ago thanks to a certain club of ours or rather a certain owner and former manager of ours. I used to love WC time as well!

Funnily enough I think this could turn out to be a great tournament and although there are obviously some very very good teams, of the admittedly little knowledge I have of the world game, I don’t think there are any stand out teams and in England they could actually be a dark horse. You never know.

I can see us being hard to beat and capable of beating anyone in a one off match, but we lack genuine creative class in midfield which worries me and I feel this squad and manager lack experience and grit that teams of past have had in abundace, but somehow for whatever reason just couldn’t do it on this kind of stage.

I think if England got to the quarters it would be an achievement, the semis would be amazing and a final would obviously be something else, beyond all expectations. To win it... it would excercise a few demons and be really good for our game here in Englandand as I touched on with the under-21s success, perhaps an indication that our academies and youth set-ups are now starting to work.

The quarters would probably validate that given the squad, the players at our disposal and indeed the manager.

I regard only Harry Kane as a genuine world-class player in our ranks though where as others have much more genuine world talent, if he has a great tournament in terms of even just goal numbers, England may surprise us all though and that’s what it will probably take.

Hand on heart though, I expect us to find it hard to even get out of the group stages due to that lack of creative flair we so badly lack which means we rely on defensive solidity and individuals to do what they do for their clubs which rarely manifests itself at international level at a WC.

Here’s my thing. I grew up in Palmers Green, North London, and my Dad supported Spurs, so I support Spurs. I grew up in England, and my Dad is English, so I support England. I might have hated many things about England over the years, but I always want them to win every game, even if Carlton fucking Palmer is playing center-mid or that terrible Bolton forward whose name escapes me is up front, or that utter cunt Terry is at the back.

I have fallen out of love with football in so many ways, and FIFA are evil, but fuck it. Arrivederci, it’s one on one.

Here’s my thing. I grew up in Palmers Green, North London, and my Dad supported Spurs, so I support Spurs. I grew up in England, and my Dad is English, so I support England. I might have hated many things about England over the years, but I always want them to win every game, even if Carlton fucking Palmer is playing center-mid or that terrible Bolton forward whose name escapes me is up front, or that utter cunt Terry is at the back.

I have fallen out of love with football in so many ways, and FIFA are evil, but fuck it. Arrivederci, it’s one on one.

I lived above the shops in Palmers green for 2 years, 96-98 above or just over from an Italian restaurant.