England

Yorkie

I don't know why they do the predetermined path from the 2nd round. Like someone said earlier, have a pot of group winners and a pot of group runners up and do a random draw stops all this nonsense then.

From a non Englishman personally I think they should go out to win while giving some fringe players such as Rashford a run out. Public noises made by Southgate suggests this is the case but whe knows what he is saying behind closed doors?

I don't know why they do the predetermined path from the 2nd round. Like someone said earlier, have a pot of group winners and a pot of group runners up and do a random draw stops all this nonsense then.

From a non Englishman personally I think they should go out to win while giving some fringe players such as Rashford a run out. Public noises made by Southgate suggests this is the case but whe knows what he is saying behind closed doors?

All when and good but when folk (fans, broadcasters, whoever) are spending £000's having more than 1-2 days to plan and move is probably pretty beneficial.

All when and good but when folk (fans, broadcasters, whoever) are spending £000's having more than 1-2 days to plan and move is probably pretty beneficial.

Yeah that's probably the main reason it's never happened, the logistics of it all is really difficult.

Rumoured Belgium line up is so weak (compared their their main starting 11). They have the right idea, good for them.

They'll get to the final and Southgate will be sat at home rocking slowly "but the momentum"

Dgwe_dMW4AATbzz.jpg

Guest firetotheworks

It's a tough one.

I don't like the idea of going into a match looking to lose, but then ultimately it's about winning the war, not one battle.

At the same time, it doesn't instil confidence in your players if you're planting the seed that they can't beat certain teams.

It's a difficult one and I'm on the fence. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with a draw and a couple of English yellow cards, played within the spirit of actually trying to win.

Cant believe anyone thinking finishing second is beneficial. If we lose tonight and finish second, we aren't winning this cup. I'm sure i read the last 15 winners all topped their groups.

Guest firetotheworks

Cant believe anyone thinking finishing second is beneficial. If we lose tonight and finish second, we aren't winning this cup. I'm sure i read the last 15 winners all topped their groups.

You can't believe that people would prefer to play Japan, Switzerland/Sweden over Columbia, Brazil/Mexico?

I don't think anyone's thinking about England winning, just going the furthest. Surely you can understand both perspectives?

You can't believe that people would prefer to play Japan, Switzerland/Sweden over Columbia, Brazil/Mexico?

I don't think anyone's thinking about England winning, just going the furthest. Surely you can understand both perspectives?

I just thought people wanted to win it. My bad.

Crush them. Break Brazil. Win, we have enough to compete and overcome any remaining team.

snip

Harry Kane can be the great equaliser. Not saying they will win, but definitely enough about them to have no fear of the other "big" sides. They're asking for trouble going into games thinking they can't compete with the likes of Brazil, Portugal, France or Spain.

14 winners topped their group.

4 winners finished second.

2 winners participated in single bracket tournaments.

Crush them. Break Brazil. Win, we have enough to compete and overcome any remaining team.

snip

Harry Kane can be the great equaliser. Not saying they will win, but definitely enough about them to have no fear of the other "big" sides. They're asking for trouble going into games thinking they can't compete with the likes of Brazil, Portugal, France or Spain.

I think you'd easily beat Brazil, Portugl and France tbh. Spain will be the killer.

Ah, never thought of it from that point of view.

So would people be happy to put 3 or 4 passed Belgium tonight, then watch us lose a close match against Brazil in the 1/4 finals while Belgium have a much looking run to the semi final and possibly the final? I don’t fear Brazil but being up against Brazil and then France (?) leaves no room for an off day.

Having said all that this is England and we’ll lose on penalties along the way regardless in a match where we should have won.

So if England draw tonight but pick up one less card and win the group, they've got a chance of winning the tournament as group winners, but one extra card, finish second, then they've less chance on the basis of history despite having, on paper, more favourable fixtures?

What an odd point of view.

Guest neesy111

I'd rather we just went out to try to win.  Really think you are playing with fire by trying to engineer your own path, especially with this being a young squad in terms of experience.

Play the last group games over 2 days (8 per day at 4 time slots 1, 3, 6 & 9 or something) then there's a 3 day break before the last 16 and time for people to sort travel

Play the last group games over 2 days (8 per day at 4 time slots 1, 3, 6 & 9 or something) then there's a 3 day break before the last 16 and time for people to sort travel

You know where the games will be played, you'd just not know which teams will play - which you don't really know now either, as it could be any of 16 outcomes from two groups going into the round of 16, for instance.

So if England draw tonight but pick up one less card and win the group, they've got a chance of winning the tournament as group winners, but one extra card, finish second, then they've less chance on the basis of history despite having, on paper, more favourable fixtures?

What an odd point of view.

The scenario you have painted is fine with me. It's the idea that it's ok to lose.

You know where the games will be played, you'd just not know which teams will play - which you don't really know now either, as it could be any of 16 outcomes from two groups going into the round of 16, for instance.

I know? :lol:

Where they are wouldn't be the problem, the time for people to know where their team will go that would be. Extend the time and it could work

I just thought people wanted to win it. My bad.

If we're on the other side of the draw we are less likely to win the competition. England are good enough to beat a top side, but doing it 4 times is simply statistically more unlikely than doing it twice. I'd love to know why this is such an obvious fact that is lost on people.