England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Just on this. I understand England fans have some absolute cocks, but we're not turning up dressed like sumit oot of a nuclear holocaust film with hoodies and faces covered etc. Looking to scrap by and large. We're just pissheads being daft cunts.

Whereas Serbia will undoubtedly have elements dressed in the above looking purely to thieve and scrap.

Aye, just a few pissheads who turn up waving inflatable spitfires. Harmless fun.

Some things never change I guess. George Orwell in 1941:

"England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals
are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of 
standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes
squashily pacifist, sometimes violently pro-Russian, but always
anti-British."

They're singing a children's song from the best part of a hundred years ago and ultimately it's making the same point as, for example, Flower Of Scotland does and probably dozens of other national anthems do. Is it really causing any actual offence to anyone?

It's weird but there is something about supporting England that sends quite a few people mad. Even being in Newcastle during England games is a totally different experience from a Newcastle match day and presumably most are Newcastle fans. The usual dodgy songs, hoying pints about, people just looking for scraps and smashing up things. 

Just now, Jaqen said:

It's weird but there is something about supporting England that sends quite a few people mad. Even being in Newcastle during England games is a totally different experience from a Newcastle match day and presumably most are Newcastle fans. The usual dodgy songs, hoying pints about, people just looking for scraps and smashing up things. 

Normally the type who only come out on Derby day. 

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Aye, just a few pissheads who turn up waving inflatable spitfires. Harmless fun.

Yep, playing with inflatable toys. Literally harmless fun.

The key differentiator for me. When Newcastle lose then it spoils my day/weekend/week. When England lose, I'm over it after a few seconds. No heart in it for me.

26 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Again, it's pissheads and cockends. Hardly going out to deliberately kick fuck out of people is it? They'll consider that 'banter', which is designed to wind people up not smash their heads in and steal their flags.

32 minutes ago, OpenC said:

are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of 
standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes
anti-British."

They're singing a children's song from the best part of a hundred years ago and ultimately it's making the same point as, for example, Flower Of Scotland does and probably dozens of other national anthems do. Is it really causing any actual offence to anyone?

I’m very much not ashamed of my own nationality, I just didn’t want to be associated with the behaviour of some of our fans. 

I adore England, and I stand by a patriotism that is not founded in the fleeting ideas and beliefs of the time, which is where I often find people go looking for something to be proud of, to identify with. Beliefs which are always synonymous with conflict and the war of ideas, always skimming the surface of the depths of our shared existence. It's no wonder we can't find a enduring symbol to stand by...

One must only quiet their mind, shut the screen and take a drive out into the country and cast a restful gaze over these green and pleasant lands, where one can catch a glimpse of something ancient, something timeless that binds our nation together. A connection with our land that inspired our great artists; none more so than William Wordsworth;

Milton! thou shouldst be living at this hour:
England hath need of thee: she is a fen
Of stagnant waters: altar, sword, and pen,
Fireside, the heroic wealth of hall and bower,
Have forfeited their ancient English dower
Of inward happiness. We are selfish men;
Oh! raise us up, return to us again;
And give us manners, virtue, freedom, power.
Thy soul was like a Star, and dwelt apart:
Thou hadst a voice whose sound was like the sea:
Pure as the naked heavens, majestic, free,
So didst thou travel on life's common way,
In cheerful godliness; and yet thy heart
The lowliest duties on herself did lay.

Wordsworth wrote this in 1802, casting an eye back to an England whose virtues had been lost, a place once of happiness, art, religion & literature now stagnant waters lost to the scourge of modernity. I guess he was right, and we still see people wrestling with what it means to be English, with the prevailing attitude one of a scornful, bitter renunciation.

1 minute ago, Infinitely Content said:

I adore England, and I stand by a patriotism that is not founded in the fleeting ideas and beliefs of the time, which is where I often find people go looking for something to be proud of, to identify with. Beliefs which are always synonymous with conflict and the war of ideas, always skimming the surface of the depths of our shared existence. It's no wonder we can't find a enduring symbol to stand by...

One must only quiet their mind, shut the screen and take a drive out into the country and cast a restful gaze over these green and pleasant lands, where one can catch a glimpse of something ancient, something timeless that binds our nation together. A connection with our land that inspired our great artists; none more so than William Wordsworth;

Milton! thou shouldst be living at this hour:
England hath need of thee: she is a fen
Of stagnant waters: altar, sword, and pen,
Fireside, the heroic wealth of hall and bower,
Have forfeited their ancient English dower
Of inward happiness. We are selfish men;
Oh! raise us up, return to us again;
And give us manners, virtue, freedom, power.
Thy soul was like a Star, and dwelt apart:
Thou hadst a voice whose sound was like the sea:
Pure as the naked heavens, majestic, free,
So didst thou travel on life's common way,
In cheerful godliness; and yet thy heart
The lowliest duties on herself did lay.

Wordsworth wrote this in 1802, casting an eye back to an England whose virtues had been lost, a place once of happiness, art, religion & literature now stagnant waters lost to the scourge of modernity. I guess he was right, and we still see people wrestling with what it means to be English, with the prevailing attitude one of a scornful, bitter renunciation.

You okay mate? ☺️

Seriously good for you. Very positive!

2 hours ago, Heron said:

Just on this. I understand England fans have some absolute cocks, but we're not turning up dressed like sumit oot of a nuclear holocaust film with hoodies and faces covered etc. Looking to scrap by and large. We're just pissheads being daft cunts.

Whereas Serbia will undoubtedly have elements dressed in the above looking purely to thieve and scrap.

That's Serbia fans as a whole, is it?

4 minutes ago, toon25 said:

That's Serbia fans as a whole, is it?

Nope but what their "hooligans" are in comparison with our "hooligans".

Edited by Heron

58 minutes ago, OpenC said:

anti-British."

Its spread now of course. I think if those people were in/from any country they'd find a reason to hate it or be ashamed, embarrassed about something - all the same justifications would be there, so wonder if its about any given country or just an attitude in which there's ironically more snobbery and condescension than in the people they criticise to be able to be so embarrassed.

Saying that, I don't support the English national team (in football) and don't like England fans for amongst other things their boring long since unwitty songs, glory hunting attracting and mackem-esque turn-on-the-team-ability.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I doubt many people are offended by WW2 chanting, I think once again we are looking at the offended on someone's behalf brigade.

I dont give a fuck that Scotland sing about slaughtering the English. In fact, it's my favourite national anthem.

I saw there is a new chant with Foden, Fire and Germans. By next week it will be linked to Dresden or some shit.

21 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m very much not ashamed of my own nationality, I just didn’t want to be associated with the behaviour of some of our fans. 

I watched "The Final: Attack on Wembley".  I was absolutely disgusted by our fan's behaviour.  Are all of our fans like that?  No.  However, tens of thousands behaved appallingly before, during and after the game.  I was ashamed to be English after watching it.

Every country has shit fans, some stab, some fight, some tear the place up, some chant racist stuff. Yes we have ours. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Every country has shit fans, some stab, some fight, some tear the place up, some chant racist stuff. Yes we have ours. 

Get fucked, defending the indefinable as usual. 

I don't see any issues from the like's of Switzerland etc.

Edited by El Prontonise

The least amount of England flags I've seen on cars/houses this year.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Not really though, England fans are hated worldwide

Just now, El Prontonise said:

Get fucked.

I don't see any issues from the like of Switzerland etc.

Fair enough. Whats the population difference?

Just now, Menace said:

They are hated more by other English people. We love hating ourselves..

Just now, Menace said:

I wonder why England fans are hated........mmmmmmm.  Most of them are arseholes.  Watch The Final:Attack on Wembley.  It made me sad, angry and emotional.  Watch it!

6 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Get fucked, defending the indefinable as usual. 

I don't see any issues from the like's of Switzerland etc.

As usual?