England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

I've always maintained that Rooney has to play as a striker or not at all. He's so fucking shit deeper, always looking for that diagonal, loses the ball too often and asks for it in pointless/unproductive areas. Yes, his goal record for England is commendable, but he's not the same player as he was when he scored the large majority of those goals

Can't work out why we would line up and play like we have. If it's an experiment it's a weird and incompetent one. If you pick a balanced 23 it's not even worth preparing for crazy situations as you should have what you need to fit in your preferred system.

Pick the best players we have in their natural positions, not pick the big names and start placing square pegs in round holes.

The main consolation is that the front three of Vardy-Rooney-Kane was so bad he can't possibly try it again.

Vardy-Kane is a combination that you feel would best suit a traditional 4-4-2. But we don't have wide midfielders and we also have the issue of where Rooney would fit in (if at all).

I thought Milner's England career would be over after the last World Cup. He's done well to survive, but there are better options. Wilshere is a major talent and should play. He has the ability to create chances through the centre.  Lallana is a clever player, he adds guile and movement, and gets involved. I'd start with both of those.

Feel like England have been trying to play a diamond formation in midfield for about twenty years. Never seem to hear of any other team on Earth trying it.

Feel like England have been trying to play a diamond formation in midfield for about twenty years. Never seem to hear of any other team on Earth trying it.

Even stranger considering the 'England way' is a direct 4-4-2 with 2 wingers and a proper number 9.