England

Nobody

He's been one hell of a striker for England has Kane. A great leader and extremely dependable; very much bucking the trend of big name/big expectation players (in my lifetime) to actually live up to the billing in an England shirt. He's been a brilliant player and it's a bit of a tragedy that he's no tournament win against his name, with a mind particularly on Euro 2020 as opposed to this summer passed. 

Two class finishes tonight; pleased for him. Gold boots were absolute banter n'all. 

Playing at least one winger that gets in behind with Kane on the pitch, and a central midfielder that constantly crashes the box also, and the balance just looks so much better.

I forget how many years Southgate was in charge, but he never understood or figured this out.

What a complete waste of Kane's prime years.

I think the talk of Kane being past it is jumping the gun, he just can't play in any system anymore. His playing style has also never been about his physicality, could see him leading the line in Euro 28 with a smart coach.

Jack Grealish has given Carsley a selection headache when Bellingham and Foden return. He did very well in that roaming role, and the team seemed to have a good shape to it.

Just now, Cronky said:

Jack Grealish has given Carsley a selection headache when Bellingham and Foden return. He did very well in that roaming role, and the team seemed to have a good shape to it.

I hope he has the cojones to stick to his preferences (whatever they may be). Grealish has suffered from being slotted into a wide left role and from the style/philosophy at Man City. I think both him and Foden are best placed in that roving role between a striker and midfield. 

It’s a big call not to play cards like Foden and Bellingham, when you’ve been dealt them, but hope he plays the latter deeper and alternates Grealish with Foden. Whoever plays there needs to stop bunching up/gravitating to the left. Just gets in the way of the real talent 😉

I was out last night. So I missed the game. But I echo what plenty have others have said since the Euros.

Kane needs runners to go beyond him. So not sure playing Foden left works. Plus it takes away from what Foden is good at. It’s not the same as playing there for a Pep coached Manchester Globetrotters. 

I also think Bellingham gets in the way in the 10. That’s the space Kane often wants to occupy and I also felt like he wanted too many touches and held the ball too long in the Euros. He’s too good not to play. But not sure I’d want him there in that advanced role. 

Would certainly be interesting to see what Carsley’s philosophy is moving forward. Does he stick to the profiles of players he has used over these two games? Or does he shoehorn certain players back in, possibly out of position, or in a role that doesn’t suit?

13 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I was out last night. So I missed the game. But I echo what plenty have others have said since the Euros.

Kane needs runners to go beyond him. So not sure playing Foden left works. Plus it takes away from what Foden is good at. It’s not the same as playing there for a Pep coached Manchester Globetrotters. 

I also think Bellingham gets in the way in the 10. That’s the space Kane often wants to occupy and I also felt like he wanted too many touches and held the ball too long in the Euros. He’s too good not to play. But not sure I’d want him there in that advanced role. 

Would certainly be interesting to see what Carsley’s philosophy is moving forward. Does he stick to the profiles of players he has used over these two games? Or does he shoehorn certain players back in, possibly out of position, or in a role that doesn’t suit?

Gomes did well in that holding role. I'd like to see how he operates against better opposition though. 

Assuming he does okay, then for me it's either Bellingham or Rice for the box to box role, and for me it's definitely Bellingham. (I agree that he should not be a number 10 for England.) 

As Coffee Johnny says, it's then either Grealish or Foden at number 10. Grealish has really imposed himself in the last two games and seems to lift the side with that devil-may-care attitude, so he should get the nod at least for now.

I thought Grealish played really well on the left when he moved too though. Loved how fluid a lot of our players were in the last 20 minutes (obviously easier to do against this level of opposition). Seemed to be far more technical players on the pitch than usual, all of whom have the ability to keep the ball.

Very impressed with Rico Lewis. That LB spot is his to keep for me.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Gomes did well in that holding role. I'd like to see how he operates against better opposition though. 

Assuming he does okay, then for me it's either Bellingham or Rice for the box to box role, and for me it's definitely Bellingham. (I agree that he should not be a number 10 for England.) 

As Coffee Johnny says, it's then either Grealish or Foden at number 10. Grealish has really imposed himself in the last two games and seems to lift the side with that devil-may-care attitude, so he should get the nod at least for now.

Would like to see Foden with the freedom that Jack has the last two games.

Still think he has more ability in the middle, whilst Grealish was almost on Gordons toes most of the game.

Agree with most of the posts. I think with Kane you also have to reflect that he’s only 2.5 years older than Watkins and has proved himself in tournaments and in the CL as recently as last year. If you wave goodbye to Kane you are left with Watkins, Toney, Rashford or going in for some sort of false 9. Watkins probably seen as the best of the bunch but has played one season in Europe in total and only has 4 England goals. I don’t think it’s enough to ditch Kane for.

I don’t know what the pipeline looks like but Gordon was the striker last year for the youngsters which to me suggests there may not be an obvious no9 coming through.

TLDR: better to make it work with Kane as the alternatives don’t stack up (yet)