Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Not seen much from Wijnaldum, of course, but he seems an identical player to Sissoko. Although McClaren seemed to play a lot with two box-to-box midfielders at Derby - Kendrick and Hughes. I can't see us employing Sissoko and Georginio in similar roles, as they lack any sort of defensive application. Sissoko is leaving is my guess.

Bit of Dennis Wise scouting suggests he's MUCH better off the ball than Sissoko. A lot of the goals he scores are him getting into space after playing a pass or bursting from the back on a break without the ball.

Looks like a more athletic and powerful version of Anita tbh, more attacking too. They look like they might link up very well too.

If Sissoko doesn't have the ball he's generally not going to do anything imo.

I think we'll now see the advantage of getting all the coaching staff in place before making signings. When Wijnaldum comes to look round, everything will look organised and ready.

With him playing CM last season it very much looks like a Sissoko replacement.

It would be interesting to see Sissoko and Wijnaldum alongside a proper sitter e.g. not Tiote.

I wouldn't want us to go for a pure DM if that's what you mean by "proper sitter". Yes, has to be decent defensively and have good positioning, but most of all he has to be able to distribute the ball very well and spray it around, playing triangles with the two more offensive central midfielders. As long as we press the opposition correctly, as a team, trying to win the ball high up the pitch.

It would be interesting to see Sissoko and Wijnaldum alongside a proper sitter e.g. not Tiote.

I wouldn't want us to go for a pure DM if that's what you mean by "proper sitter". Yes, has to be decent defensively and have good positioning, but most of all he has to be able to distribute the ball very well and spray it around, playing triangles with the two more offensive central midfielders. As long as we press the opposition correctly, as a team, trying to win the ball high up the pitch.

don't we have abeid for this, with anita or geordie jack as backup?

Guest Roger Kint

OFF to the Alps with PSV :( #Wait

They arent going to an unreachable mountain top, can fly to UK easily still :lol:

They arent going to an unreachable mountain top, can fly to UK easily still :lol:

You're right, but if it was close to a deal being done he wouldn't travel with them one would think? :)

Guest Roger Kint

You're right, but if it was close to a deal being done he wouldn't travel with them one would think? :)

We are taking peoples word for stuff they dont even know fully though, for all we know he isnt traveling. Just becasue he is on a squad list doesnt mean a great deal. Certainly not worth worrying over

Ryder (i know) suggested PSV were always going to take him in order to maintain fitness in case any transfer didn't happen

Because his fitness will decrease that rapidly if he's just left to train solo in Eindhoven :rolleyes:

Being "decent defensively and have good positioning" is no mean feat. IMO Sissoko is similar to Toure in the sense - against players of similar quality, he needs someone behind him or alongside him whose main activity is plugging in gaps, breaking up play, tackling and intercepting. IMO Abeid's best qualities are covering ground, plugging gaps and getting stuck in. His passing has looked dodgy himself at times but that's what we need. A Schneiderlin. His main benefits to a side are his defensive contribution and decent passing. Not decent defensiveness and good passing.

If Arsene finally see's the need for a proper DM - I don't see why we can't.