Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

8 game :lol: i mean sure yeah, a ban is deserved for someone who puts his hands on a ref but I'm sure the ref is perfectly OK with no mental, physical damage as a result. 

Edited by Kanji

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

8 games is laughable like [emoji38]

Bans need reducing across the board.

Agree, think you and I have been in total agreement over this in general. 

I take the point that they sort of need to make an example of players in these situations, but I also think that as a byproduct referees seem like even more untouchable (figuratively and literally) overprotected power whores than they already are when in situations like this it's really disproportionate and arguably inconsistent (Fernandes on the linesman)

If they want to make an example of Mitrovic, fine, but I think it's not going to be completely without negative consequences that'll slap them in the face re the whole 'respect' thing imo.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Seems disproportionate to me considering what abuse refs let slide every game, they really should be clamping down on hounding the ref, screaming on his face etc every game if they want to make any sort of statement. 

Think it's fair enough with the level of aggression he showed. Even after the red card it looked like he was going to kill him [emoji38]

Needs to an example set for that type of behaviour. It's not much of an issue for the top end of the game but at low levels refs are in actual danger of being attacked for decisions they make. 

The ban is important as it sends a message that this will not be tolerated. Agree that the Fernandez shove should also have been addressed.

if you leave this unpunished then it will continue to filter down into grass roots football. Youth, Sunday league etc will copy as its “OK to do this”.

I stopped refereeing (doing competitive youth games) because it wasn’t worth the verbal abuse any more. 

All the people who are saying an 8 games is too long or ridiculous. You do me a favour and you go ref on a Saturday or Sunday park, and then tell me if you think it's too long. Even do kids under 10's games for a glimpse from parents.

What amateur players see in a professional game we see on a park pitch, and Mitrovic's push, that push becomes a punch, intimidation that is so violent and so full of vitriol that it scares even the toughest of people, or vandalism to your car or whatever revenge they can extract.

All for getting a decision RIGHT. Please go try it, that is all you need to do.

Edited by Bimpy474

7 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

All the people who are saying an 8 games is too long or ridiculous. You do me a favour and you go ref on  Saturday or Sunday park, and then tell me if think it's too long. Even do kids under 10's for a glimpse from parents.

What amateur players see in a professional game we see on a park pitch, and Mitrovic's push, that push becomes a punch, intimidation that is so violent and so full of vitriol that it scares even the toughest of people, or vandalism to your car or whatever revenge they can extract.

I get that's horrible. But Mitrovic isn't the one doing that and nor his 8 game ban going to stop all. Putting the weight of all violence against referees on his shoulders is pretty weird imo. He was out of order, he was rightly sent off and think some sort of extension is reasonable. But it isn't at all proportionate - a deliberate dangerous tackle is actual violence with direct physical consequences, and that gets a three game ban.

Edited by Superior Acuña

It's not putting it all on his shoulders, but if you can't see the connection of some players behaving as they do towards refs, and some managers behaving the way they do on the sidelines as well (i know you didn't mention managers), well what can one say ?

Like I say, go try and see it for yourself, you'll see the connection if you do.

Edited by Bimpy474

3 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

It's not putting it all on his shoulders, but if you can't see the connection of some players behaving as they do towards refs, and some managers behaving the way they do on the sidelines, well what can one say ?

Like I say, go try and see it for yourself, you'll see the connection if you do.

Of course I can see a connection. 

Won't be able to see for myself though, since it'll all have stopped now cos of Mitro's 8 game ban.

Agree with the posters saying it’s fair enough - there’s no way they could treat it like a normal red card

It’s true that refs allow all sorts of abuse toward them, IMO they shouldn’t allow that either! Be so easy to stamp out, announce it’s a yellow for abusing the refs or surrounding them, enforce it for a few weeks, chuck in some retrospectives yellows if refs don’t do it and it’s sorted by May

14 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

All the people who are saying an 8 games is too long or ridiculous. You do me a favour and you go ref on  Saturday or Sunday park, and then tell me if think it's too long. Even do kids under 10's for a glimpse from parents.

I don’t think anyone believes it would be a pleasant experience being pushed and shouted at by Mitrovic like, not sure you need to referee Sunday league footy to know that.

4 games is a harsh punishment for any offence in football (short of actually chinning someone), 8 is just ridiculous, it’s almost a quarter of a season.

It's a two way street tbf, if referees want to be treated as authority figures, more like rugby refs are, then fair enough, do it.

But if at the same time nothing's done about the shocking standard of refereeing and they all continue to back each other up, telling us that the black millions can see with their own eyes is white, then it's wishful thinking because fans, pundits, and pros aren't going to respect them or think they deserve respect when it isn't given to them.

Authority figures can't just be given unchecked power.

Suarez was banned for 8 games for the Evra incident wasn't he? Not sure the punishment should be comparable personally but different scenarios so :dontknow:

Either way really needs stamping out. No point giving Mitro the 8 games and still letting players surround the ref. Use it as a springboard. 

15 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I don’t think anyone believes it would be a pleasant experience being pushed and shouted at by Mitrovic like, not sure you need to referee Sunday league footy to know that.

4 games is a harsh punishment for any offence in football (short of actually chinning someone), 8 is just ridiculous, it’s almost a quarter of a season.

The point is, Mitrovic's push and other aggression shown to refs, that is expanded ten fold to a Saturday/Sunday League ref. That becomes violence, and other behaviour that is beyond belief coming from grown adults.

You see it develop in youth football. I know it'll never be, but if professional players and managers were better behaved you would see improvement lower down. 8 games imo is probably right, and Mitrovic's contrition is welcome. 

Edited by Bimpy474

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's a two way street tbf, if referees want to be treated as authority figures, more like rugby refs are, then fair enough, do it.

But if at the same time nothing's done about the shocking standard of refereeing and they all continue to back each other up, telling us that the black millions can see with their own eyes is white, then it's wishful thinking because fans, pundits, and pros aren't going to respect them or think they deserve respect when it isn't given to them.

Authority figures can't just be given unchecked power.

You make a good point, it's a vicious circle that never ends with refs, respect, and unchecked power, I can see your point clearly.

All I can say as an ex ref now, teams who kept quiet and didn't abuse you, meant they got a better ref on the day.

Verbal and physical intimidation really does affect you, you never know if someone is going to confront you in the car park or whatever, and your performance as a ref suffers, and then the game suffers.

I was a terrible player to refs, short temper and mouthy and thought refs deserved most of it. Once I decided to ref I realised what a massive cock I was, it shames me really.

As a ref I get one look at a incident, just one angle, and you give a honest a decision as you could, then you get all kinds of abuse, from a minority I would add. It would put off lesser willed people than I, it just isn't worth it to some.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

8 game :lol: i mean sure yeah, a ban is deserved for someone who puts his hands on a ref but I'm sure the ref is perfectly OK with no mental, physical damage as a result. 

You can't be handling the ref and then continue to aggresively square up to him.

You don't reckon that could mentally affect the ref?

55 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Think it's fair enough with the level of aggression he showed. Even after the red card it looked like he was going to kill him [emoji38]

Needs to an example set for that type of behaviour. It's not much of an issue for the top end of the game but at low levels refs are in actual danger of being attacked for decisions they make. 

This totally. A lot of you are missing the bigger picture on this one. The irony is the refs have let standards slip with being lenient dishing cards out for dissent which has now lead us to where we are.

How long is it going to take powers that be and rule makers that if you give players an inch they will take a mile.