Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

Hope he regains his form.  Noting that we have a couple of ball playing CBs, having a 'simple stuff' defender (noting that he hasn't been doing even this recently) should work very well.  For every Woodgate or Albert, a CB partnership needs a Terry or a Maguire to just keep the opposition out of the game.

Agree with most of the above though - if he doesn't sort it out he needs dropping so he can reset his position within the team mentally.  He probably thinks he's the big swinging dick in the changing room (which he partially is, as he's the captain) but if he gets too big for his boots and assumes that his starting berth is safe, he might end up being the next Danny Simpson, which nobody wants...

Guest neesy111

What's to suggest he's getting too cocky?

IMO he looks bereft of confidence. I think the negative pushback from the fans has got to him a bit and its affecting his performance.

The way he's went on in the media, getting a new contract for absolutely no reason after getting one a year ago.

IMO he looks bereft of confidence. I think the negative pushback from the fans has got to him a bit and its affecting his performance.

The way he's went on in the media, getting a new contract for absolutely no reason after getting one a year ago.

So the club offers him a new contract and he should turn it down for fear of being labelled as 'cocky'? FFS  :lol:

It was his choice to come out and publicly back Ashley after being pro-Rafa and NUFC (fronting out to him over the continuous bonus disputes) as soon as he got offered a nice shiny new contract. He antagonised the fans by publicly backing MA in the face of protest and insulted our intelligence by saying he didn't even know Rafa was having struggles and this was preventing him from signing a new contract... Honestly, what the fuck did he expect? His banner was still displayed at the game after as well, so trying to blame fans for this is ridiculous.

He's coming across as 'cocky' as he's trying to come across like he knows better than us what is best for the club. Also using his position to be a spokesperson for MA to placate the sheep who are still constantly attending. He's a sellout.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sure there'll be a reasonable explanation, but if there isn't it's a bit of a slap in the face for those excusing his lauding of Ashley because he does this sort of work in the community.

What did he say about Ashley and the fans?  I've obviously completely missed it :lol: 

I used to check up on NUFC news every dinner break and knew all the stories and rumours.  I'm not even sure what position some of our squad are supposed to play these days :lol:

I'm sure there'll be a reasonable explanation, but if there isn't it's a bit of a slap in the face for those excusing his lauding of Ashley because he does this sort of work in the community.

I'm sure most, myself included, would be willing to accept he's a bell end for sacking off agreed events without a valid reason like :lol: His track record indicates it's probably not the case.

Certainly not frothing at the gash for him to solidify his position as the new nufc bogeyman.

Hope he regains his form.  Noting that we have a couple of ball playing CBs, having a 'simple stuff' defender (noting that he hasn't been doing even this recently) should work very well.  For every Woodgate or Albert, a CB partnership needs a Terry or a Maguire to just keep the opposition out of the game.

Agree with most of the above though - if he doesn't sort it out he needs dropping so he can reset his position within the team mentally.  He probably thinks he's the big swinging dick in the changing room (which he partially is, as he's the captain) but if he gets too big for his boots and assumes that his starting berth is safe, he might end up being the next Danny Simpson, which nobody wants...

Winning the title with another club?

So the club offers him a new contract and he should turn it down for fear of being labelled as 'cocky'? FFS  :lol:

It's very easy to decide a certain type of person is cocky.

It was his choice to come out and publicly back Ashley after being pro-Rafa and NUFC (fronting out to him over the continuous bonus disputes) as soon as he got offered a nice shiny new contract. He antagonised the fans by publicly backing MA in the face of protest and insulted our intelligence by saying he didn't even know Rafa was having struggles and this was preventing him from signing a new contract... Honestly, what the fuck did he expect? His banner was still displayed at the game after as well, so trying to blame fans for this is ridiculous.

He's coming across as 'cocky' as he's trying to come across like he knows better than us what is best for the club. Also using his position to be a spokesperson for MA to placate the sheep who are still constantly attending. He's a sellout.

He sounds ignorant. He's right in the sense that negativity isn't good for the football team that he's captain of. He's silly for  backing Ashley on a personal level the way he did.

Aye it was his choice to come out and talk. But that doesn't mean he's bulletproof and it won't affect his mental state and confidence. When he first kind of burst on the scene, he was lauded for digging into the team. That demonstrably built his confidence and he played in an assured manner. Now his public remarks have backfired and he's looked jittery since. I think there's some correlation imo.

Btw Terry and Maguire are/were very good on the ball. John Terry was an excellent passer. He just wasn't the type to take it into midfield.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sure most, myself included, would be willing to accept he's a bell end for sacking off agreed events without a valid reason like :lol: His track record indicates it's probably not the case.

Certainly not frothing at the gash for him to solidify his position as the new nufc bogeyman.

Just frothing at the gash to defend anything and everything NUFC-related then. :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

Lascelles is a very good defender, our best IMO, but he’s having a poor season and as long as his limitations on the ball are continually going to be a negative aspect, he will struggle to develop much further. A development that owes a lot to Rafa’s coaching. He will never be a top-class CB. If someone offered us 20-25m in January I’d take it.

As sad as I found his statements regarding the owner and protests, however, let’s not use that as a stick to beat him with regarding his performances and how important he has been for us over the past few seasons, last season he was immense given the circumstances and has been our best player in general under Rafa.

Just frothing at the gash to defend anything and everything NUFC-related then. :thup:

Quite right, as it should be (with the obvious fat cunt of an exception).

Lascelles is a very good defender, our best IMO, but he’s having a poor season and as long as his limitations on the ball are continually going to be a negative aspect, he will struggle to develop much further. A development that owes a lot to Rafa’s coaching. He will never be a top-class CB. If someone offered us 20-25m in January I’d take it.

As sad as I found his statements regarding the owner and protests, however, let’s not use that as a stick to beat him with regarding his performances and how important he has been for us over the past few seasons, last season he was immense given the circumstances and has been our best player in general under Rafa.

That's fair

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing in his favour I really do believe helps him massively and he will need more than anything else at this level going forward, is his strength of character and physical attributes. He’s not quick, but quick enough and he’s very strong and reads the game well. He’s a good CB in terms of defending, but on the ball he’s a liability. At times last season alongside Lejune who is very good on the ball, the two formed a very good partnership and you felt with a better ‘keeper which we got and better full-backs, we would be sorted in defence. Since Rafa has shown defensively, we can be very strong in terms of the sum total even if we are weak in quality. Again if 20-25m allowed us to bring in a playmaker in midfield, I wouldn’t be sad to see Lascelles go, especially following his statements and knowing Rafa can create a strong defensive unit from nothing almost.

Agree to a certain extent. I can't see how we don't attack him for what he's done - it's one thing saying "I'm not happy, I want to leave" but to take money and then suddenly publicly rim the despicable owner we have and actively undermine protests against that person who he had issue with when him and his fellow players weren't getting the bonuses they wanted (and deserved) as soon as he got what he wanted is nothing short of insulting to the fans and what is left of the club. Rafa and NUFC built his career, yes he was committed and played very well for us, but he certainly shouldn't get a free pass for it.

Also, an English CB of his ability - no way I'd be taking anything less than £30m in todays market. 20-25 and we'd be getting ripped.

:thup:

Minus the selling bit like.

Aye, I’d keep him but he wouldn’t be an automatic choice imo. I think Fernandez or Lascelles for one position, Schar or Lejeune when he’s back for the other.

I think that's how it will go, unless we switch more permanently to the 3 CBs.

Guest firetotheworks

Quite right, as it should be (with the obvious fat c*** of an exception).

Nah, anyone defending him can do one as well, Lascelles isn't any more special than Beardsley, Moncur, Bellamy etc in that regard.