Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

I mean, Lascelles crime is a misguided comment on a radio programme that offended only the extremely sensitive amongst our support, Beardsley is accused of a campaign of bullying. Not overly comparable.

To take the other examples, Moncur is a daft old bloke now but gets a pass as a European cup winning captain. Bellamy is a little Welsh charver. Who in their right mind would defend him?

Lascelles is a very good defender, our best IMO, but he’s having a poor season and as long as his limitations on the ball are continually going to be a negative aspect, he will struggle to develop much further. A development that owes a lot to Rafa’s coaching. He will never be a top-class CB. If someone offered us 20-25m in January I’d take it.

As sad as I found his statements regarding the owner and protests, however, let’s not use that as a stick to beat him with regarding his performances and how important he has been for us over the past few seasons, last season he was immense given the circumstances and has been our best player in general under Rafa.

Disagree there, i think Lejeune is our best defender - a better leader in the back from organization standpoint, reading of game and of course on the ball.

Guest neesy111

Lascelles is a very good defender, our best IMO, but he’s having a poor season and as long as his limitations on the ball are continually going to be a negative aspect, he will struggle to develop much further. A development that owes a lot to Rafa’s coaching. He will never be a top-class CB. If someone offered us 20-25m in January I’d take it.

As sad as I found his statements regarding the owner and protests, however, let’s not use that as a stick to beat him with regarding his performances and how important he has been for us over the past few seasons, last season he was immense given the circumstances and has been our best player in general under Rafa.

Disagree there, i think Lejeune is our best defender - a better leader in the back from organization standpoint, reading of game and of course on the ball.

This.  Lascelles biggest strength is his arial ability, but he's a weakness in the team with the ball at his feet.

I'm sure there'll be a reasonable explanation, but if there isn't it's a bit of a slap in the face for those excusing his lauding of Ashley because he does this sort of work in the community.

I'm sure most, myself included, would be willing to accept he's a bell end for sacking off agreed events without a valid reason like :lol: His track record indicates it's probably not the case.

Certainly not frothing at the gash for him to solidify his position as the new nufc bogeyman.

Just frothing at the gash to defend anything and everything NUFC-related then. :thup:

Quite right, as it should be (with the obvious fat c*** of an exception).

Nah, anyone defending him can do one as well, Lascelles isn't any more special than Beardsley, Moncur, Bellamy etc in that regard.

Can't possibly think ill of one of the lads man. That wouldn't be supporting the team.

Guest firetotheworks

I mean, Lascelles crime is a misguided comment on a radio programme that offended only the extremely sensitive amongst our support, Beardsley is accused of a campaign of bullying. Not overly comparable.

To take the other examples, Moncur is a daft old bloke now but gets a pass as a European cup winning captain. Bellamy is a little Welsh charver. Who in their right mind would defend him?

Lascelles wasn't misguided at all, what he said completely contradicted all of his words and actions re Ashley up until that point. If you don't think that's worthy of criticism then that's your call.

I'm talking about all of them defending Ashley as well, rather than other incidents. No one gets a pass from criticism with that for me and it's possible to separate your appreciation for their achievements as players and who they are away from that. The point is, Lascelles isn't a bogeyman because he's no more special than the others I mentioned.

I'm also not the one who only posted because of their own extreme sensitivity to anyone having anything remotely negative to say about anyone associated with NUFC tbf.

Lascelles is an old fashioned type of centre half and he has his strengths and weakness. To compare him with Schar or Fernandez is a bit unfair because they are totally different types of players.  It's really a case of Rafa selecting the players most suited to his setup and who the opposition happen to be

I mean, Lascelles crime is a misguided comment on a radio programme that offended only the extremely sensitive amongst our support , Beardsley is accused of a campaign of bullying. Not overly comparable.

:lol: Very difficult not to bite at that patronising nonsense.

Even if you were right, and there was next to nowt wrong with Lascelles' comments, people are sensitive because they feel they're having their club taken from them. Even if you don't.

I don't think you have to be extremely sensitive to object to the captain bigging up Mike Ashley during fan protests. It was a stupid thing to say, especially for someone who's nominated himself as such a spokesperson.

This - the Rafa comments were equally as bad too!

Guest Howaythetoon

The idea is of course to not have to defend in ways that the likes of Lascelles stand out or they show their defensive strengths, in that scenario Lejune will always be our best defender. But under pressure, with crosses coming in, having to make interceptions and basically defend for your life, Lascelles is much better equipped to deal with that better than Lejune an maybe anyone else in ou squad.

Conversely, when we aren’t under attack and defending for our lives and the defence has time on the ball and needs to get more involved in passing the ball into the midfield, Lascelles can look like a donkey and Lejune a classy playmaker.

All things considered, they would be my first choice pairing at the back for all occasions because as a pair we are stronger defensively and through Lejune have someone good enough on the ball. Indeed if Lascelles was as good as Lejune on the ball, he’d be a top-class CB and ideally you would want both CB’s to be of that standard.

In others though we do have defenders just as capable as Lascelles at defending so again if we were offered 20-25m for him and Rafa was allowed to spend that on a playmaker or real attacking quality, I wouldn’t be against it.

I think, and hope he will regain his form. It's possible he's looked at, and become negatively effected by the fan's turning on him/negativity towards him since these comments he made which have been taken badly by some (most it would appear). I really think we should be getting behind, sticking behind and supporting our captain and arguably the best and most important player of the Rafa era. It's not a good look, we want the players to respect us as fans, feel comfortable and assured in our constant backing, and not feel under ridiculous scrutiny at home games anymore; and if their captain, a figure who appears to demand huge respect in training is suffering through fan-negativity, whose to say that won't have an adverse effect on others? Not sure who it serves, really.

I mean, Lascelles crime is a misguided comment on a radio programme that offended only the extremely sensitive amongst our support , Beardsley is accused of a campaign of bullying. Not overly comparable.

:lol: Very difficult not to bite at that patronising nonsense.

Even if you were right, and there was next to nowt wrong with Lascelles' comments, people are sensitive because they feel they're having their club taken from them. Even if you don't.

Perhaps not expressed particularly well but demonstrably true. Haven't heard a single person criticise any supposedly upsetting comments in real life, it seems to be purely restricted to the overly sensitive internet world in which every comment made by anyone associated with NUFC is analysed to a level in keeping with a Shakespeare thesis.

There's only one man to hate

Guest firetotheworks

So why are you falling over yourself to stick up for anyone publicly lauding him then? :lol:

Upsetting :lol: It's criticism. Proper Kaka levels of hysterical language, that. Something I know you're not a fan of.

FWIW I work with a woman in her 50s, regularly goes to matches and feels exactly the same way about Lascelles, Beardsley etc as I do. My lass's dad's the same. Presumably they're both upset heavy users of the internet as well.

I'm sure there'll be a reasonable explanation, but if there isn't it's a bit of a slap in the face for those excusing his lauding of Ashley because he does this sort of work in the community.

I'm sure most, myself included, would be willing to accept he's a bell end for sacking off agreed events without a valid reason like :lol: His track record indicates it's probably not the case.

Certainly not frothing at the gash for him to solidify his position as the new nufc bogeyman.

Just frothing at the gash to defend anything and everything NUFC-related then. :thup:

Nah, anyone defending him can do one as well, Lascelles isn't any more special than Beardsley, Moncur, Bellamy etc in that regard.

Those 3 are far above Lascelles here mind...particularly the first two legends.

Guest firetotheworks

Those 3 are far above Lascelles here mind...particularly the first two legends.

:thup: Exactly my point.

he got a little stick weeks ago, but nothing since then. he's had his banner up at matches. he hasnt been given abuse at games.

how fucking soft must he be if its still affecting him?

more likely its just being out, not being immediately recalled after his injury cleared up and realising he's not indispensible.

not so long ago he was the first outfield name on the team sheet and the most important player at the club.

there was also the fall-out with rafa when he wasnt happy playing as part of a back three.

also-i wonder if he's had his head turned by his agent mentioned a possible move.

This.  Lascelles biggest strength is his arial ability, but he's a weakness in the team with the ball at his feet.

Nah disagree massively, Lejeune was horrific alongside Clark last season while Lascelles made Clark look ok when he played beside him. Think Fernandez is our best dedender anyway

Guest neesy111

Nah disagree massively, Lejeune was horrific alongside Clark last season while Lascelles made Clark look ok when he played beside him. Think Fernandez is our best dedender anyway

He was bad but there were some circumstances against lejeune.  He had just came back from that injury by Kane and he was adjusting to the league.

Also it's all about partnerships with CB's, some work and some don't etc.  Last season we started winning games after lascelles came back into the team, this season we can't buy a win when he's finished a game.

It's good we have competition at the back and can take out players if they are not in form etc.

A lot of his judgement were wrong recently. I don’t know it’s a matter of form or concentration but right now he is our worst CB.

We still need him though when we come up against striker with great aerial threat.