Club Atlas 2-1 Newcastle United - FT

Yorkie

It was a sloppy match versus a team happy to slide into tackles and dive into rash 50/50 challenges. Our players looked then shit scared of getting hurt and played even sloppier.

Full Backs: Janmaat and Haidara got forward well, but looked very rusty. Not concerned with these positions as Haidara is also returning form injury himself.

Center Backs: It's Either Colo + New CB, Dummett + New CB or 2 New CBs. Simple as that.

CM - Can't play Colback + Anita. Both of whom were sloppy in possession and gave the ball away far too much. Wijnaldum + 1 of them is clearly the way forward partnering with Anita, Colback, Tiote, Abeid I imagine. Again, I'd even welcome adding someone else here if we strengthened elsewhere. Sissoko, whatever his position was, was sloppy again - gets in to right place but place a lazy pass over and over.

Attack: Cisse looked lively, he was getting involved everywhere. But his passing will always be hit or miss. De Jong looked good, he's far more intelligent than anyone we've got out there. Gouffran, :lol:.

How did we actually play?  Not too concerned with the result as it's pre season and it happens but did we play like s**** as well?

Sloppy in possession, tried to play it out the back for the most part. Didn't help that Atlas players were trying to fuck someone up all match. There's def an emphasis on pressing the ball and playing quick passing and movement in the attacking 3rd. It was glaringly obvious who needs replaced etc. See my post above for a little more detail.

Put it this way...Aarons, Armstrong, Obertan and Perez made it hard on themselves not to score as well. They carved out some decent changes as well. Obertan of course, if he had any footballing brain would just use his f***ing pace and attack the goal.

When I sit and think about it, I'm just very disappointed in Colback and Anita. They looked lost out there if I'm honest. Even simple passes missed or behind or in front of the man that forced us to lose possession or slow an attack down. Grinds my gears when our players consistently do that - not playing the ball correctly slows us down far too much.

Coloccini still our second best centre half by a mile :lol: And that's if they even view Dummett as a centre half 

Don't let Ronaldo hear you, he had an epileptic fit when I suggested it a couple of days ago. He's not good enough but until we bring someone else in he starts out of our current centre backs.

Lascalles is far far far from ready for PL. he looks slow and awkward on the ball too.

Maybe he'll look better with someone like Colo next to him who might compliment him better than the clumsy and nervous Williamson.

I'm not one for sticking up for the club but it is worth remembering that Atlas are a) a decent outfit and b) start their season next weekend.

So you'd imagine they were always going to look sharper etc. This pre-season needs to be about use of the ball, movement off it, forming new partnerships within the team you'd think but with the line-ups we're using there doesn't look to be much hope of this either.

Lascalles is far far far from ready for PL. he looks slow and awkward on the ball too.

Maybe he'll look better with someone like Colo next to him who might compliment him better than the clumsy and nervous Williamson.

Hopefully. It really is an absolute attrocity that Williamson has played at this level more than a handful of times, let alone the number of appearances he's clocked up for us. Literally, the only thing I can think is that every day in training he's like Franco Baresi.

Guest reefatoon

I know it was only the second pre season game and they were all a little rusty, but the same old defensive mistakes were glaringly obvious (As well as not being able to put away chances). These two areas have to be addressed before we play Southampton.

I'm not one for sticking up for the club but it is worth remembering that Atlas are a) a decent outfit and b) start their season next weekend.

So you'd imagine they were always going to look sharper etc. This pre-season needs to be about use of the ball, movement off it, forming new partnerships within the team you'd think but with the line-ups we're using there doesn't look to be much hope of this either.

Atlas were not a decent outfit for this evidence. Yes they scored a good goal for their second. But they press us high up the pitch played the game like it was the cup final, tried to kick lumps out of us and even time wasted in a friendly !! We dominated possession, especially in that second half, they lacked any real quality outside the goals and once when they hit the bar. They gave the ball away cheaply, basically I would put them on a par with a championship side. They won the game because they were much more up for it than we were, they were a lot more match fit and we were waseful in our possession, we had more than enough chances to win the game for sure.