Chancel Mbemba

Nobody

If we were going to just sign one defender then no, this fella shouldn't have been who we went for.

Had we gotten rid of our joke of a captain and signed a tall, imposing CB to partner Mbemba he'd have been a very nice addition.

Was cheaper to extend Colo though, so instead we went into the season with two short CBs. Basic story of our squad. We just buy players we think might be good. There's no plan for how they might complement the other players they'll be playing alongside, no attempt to build a team that might actually work. Just buying assets in the hope that we can sell them on later for a profit.

God we deserve to go down so much.

If we were going to just sign one defender then no, this fella shouldn't have been who we went for.

Had we gotten rid of our joke of a captain and signed a tall, imposing CB to partner Mbemba he'd have been a very nice addition.

Was cheaper to extend Colo though, so instead we went into the season with two short CBs. Basic story of our squad. We just buy players we think might be good. There's no plan for how they might complement the other players they'll be playing alongside, no attempt to build a team that might actually work. Just buying assets in the hope that we can sell them on later for a profit.

God we deserve to go down so much.

This basically. I wouldn't call him a poor signing, I would imagine he was bought to replace Colo. Then we changed our minds and thought, let's have a go with two small cb's and save money on buying the commanding cb we needed. I wouldn't be surprised if we look a lot better even if you stuck Mbemba next Lascelles. Still not ideal but at least they would compliment each other.

All the stuff he looked good at prior (strong sliding tackles, relatively good passing, pace/recovery, calm in possession) are all things I can't say he's been able to execute since coming back from injury. He's potentially a great player, but needs time.

Guest neesy111

Nah they're not like.

What a fantastic contribution.

Your's isnt fantastic in the 1st place.  You don't say what attributes would make suitable for a RB, as I'm wondering what they are.

I suppose it depends on whether you rate him. If you don't,  then it's debate over.

If you do, then you have accept he is too small and inexperienced to play centre back. Lascelles can get away with it because he has size.

I'd say Mbemba is positive on the ball, has decent pace and has the potential to defend properly. Therefore... right back.

There's your post Neesy, now go fuck yourself.

:lol:

I don't think Mbemba is that small, looks around six foot to me.

Plus you can't say that he's too inexperienced to play centre back, if that was your attitude then there would be no centre backs coming through in world football.[emoji38]

For me - you have to be an exceptional player to be a CB who is not very good in the air and be worth a damn.

There are a lot of great centrebacks who are not excellent in the air and are still top class defenders. Mbemba has the physical side and makes a lot of great tackles. IMO he has a bright future. People tend to forget how shit our back 4 is and how much it has changed during this season.

For me - you have to be an exceptional player to be a CB who is not very good in the air and be worth a damn.

There are a lot of great centrebacks who are not excellent in the air and are still top class defenders. Mbemba has the physical side and makes a lot of great tackles. IMO he has a bright future. People tend to forget how shit our back 4 is and how much it has changed during this season.

And he's only 21 and is still maturing and playing in probably the hardest league for a young foreign CB. Hope he stays and we get a season in the Championship for him to develop, might do him the world of good.

Exactly. I don't remember Liverpool's centre backs being huge when Rafa was there, and they are not giants now either. I think you do need one big stopper though and we've not had that for about 6 years. A decent midfield in front of the back four can make all the difference as well.