York City 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/7/15 @ 7.45 pm BST

Nobody

Guest Gomez

HA Just read the chron article... Is it just me? or is the "Gouffran is a hard worker" idea a total myth? I don't think he's gone past a mild jog since November 2013...

Well, that was pretty bad. Mitrovic looked rusty, was getting on the end of lots of crosses and balls into the box but his match sharpness was lacking. Put himself about though and went nuts at the referee for a couple of free kicks in the second half, the mad bastard.

On the whole the game was very poor, our entire tactic seemed to be to get the ball to Ferguson and let him whip a cross in, which he did time and time again without much success.

2000 Newcastle fans out of 5000, quite an impressive effort for a mid-week friendly. Saw at least five people getting strong armed out the door by security in our section though, knackers.

A good day out. Aarons and Mitrovic looked lively, Mitrovic was unlucky not to have scored. Gouffran was hopeless, Ferguson was as well. Lacelles seamed to read the game well until they scored and his head dropped, certainly doesn't look the type to be a leader, but certainly if he picks himself up he looks like he could be another Colo type, someone who can read the game well and get into positions well from there.

A good day out, but like any there were a few there who had a bit too much to drink, and possibly other stuff as well.

Again I'm loath to be too harsh on him considering its naff pre-season games but I'm not sold on De Jong. For me a #10 should be your most talented player, always on the ball, dribbling, looking for the pass. De Jong really reminds even more of Nolan than I expected; not anywhere near enough involved. He's technically sound in terms of first touch/ball striking etc as you'd expect from an Ajax graduate, but he's just not dynamic enough. Another thing is I can't see him fitting into the side anywhere else than where he is right now, which could be problematic.

Again I'm loath to be too harsh on him considering its naff pre-season games but I'm not sold on De Jong. For me a #10 should be your most talented player, always on the ball, dribbling, looking for the pass. De Jong really reminds even more of Nolan than I expected; not anywhere near enough involved. He's technically sound in terms of first touch/ball striking etc as you'd expect from an Ajax graduate, but he's just not dynamic enough. Another thing is I can't see him fitting into the side anywhere else than where he is right now, which could be problematic.

He disappointed today, but when he has played for us in other games he's looked decent.

I said similar again the other day. He is a player that needs carried unfortunately. His only value is goal scoring. But unless he hits 10 or more goals this season, I think he will be more of a hindrance to our general play. I would prefer Cabella or Ayoze behind Mitrovic TBH.

That's the thing; Perez, Cabella, Wijnaldum, Sissoko could all play there as well - but their flexibility will see De Jong have that position nailed down. FWIW I still think he can be good; I just think he's not my type of player tbh.

That's the thing; Perez, Cabella, Wijnaldum, Sissoko could all play there as well - but their flexibility will see De Jong have that position nailed down. FWIW I still think he can be good; I just think he's not my type of player tbh.

Without accounting for attrition by injury/suspension, I really believe that Cabella will be the "odd man out" in terms of the more attacking players.

Without accounting for attrition by injury/suspension, I really believe that Cabella will be the "odd man out" in terms of the more attacking players.

I don't disagree with that, struggle to see where he'll play especially since he's starting off with an injury. Just listing him as another who could play where de Jong is atm (and would probably be better there than out wide)