Swansea City vs Newcastle United - Sat 15th August @ 3pm (not on TV)

Dave

Sissoko and Gini as a pair would be as effective as playing Lampard and Gerrard together. Why would you limit two of our most potent attacking players by making it so one has to stay back? Especially since McClaren clearly wants a deep lying midfielder so the full backs can get forward.

Madness.

Sissoko and Gini as a pair would be as effective as playing Lampard and Gerrard together. Why would you limit two of our most potent attacking players by making it so one has to stay back? Especially since McClaren clearly wants a deep lying midfielder so the full backs can get forward.

Madness.

To be fair I haven't seen much of Wijnaldum as I don't watch the Dutch League. Just somehow got the impression Wijnaldum functions best as a box to box midfielder (I could very well be wrong) and I sort of like the idea of two b2b midfielders behind a playmaker of sorts. I'd also be fine with Gini stepping up to the no10 position with Sissoko and Anita/Colback behind him.

Think we'll nick a draw, just looking at the fixtures until October and McClaren will want us to get something as it's going to be tough going until then.  We'll be lurking around the bottom by that stage given the fixtures so hopefully the players don't get too disheartened and we can kick on from there.

Going all Brendan Rodgers here but the passing percentages at full time will be interesting. I imagine over the last 3-4 years that Southampton & Swansea have had about 60-65% of the ball against us. Will be a definite sign of our brand of football improving if we have a similar figure to Swansea on Saturday after having had more possession than Southampton last week.

Swansea should be much tougher defensively than the new/makeshift back five Southampton had out last week.

The stats have them down as not much of a crossing team though, so they mightn't be able to exploit our most glaring weakness in the opening game.

Maybe a low scoring game. 1-0 to them or 1-1.

Sissoko really isn't very good as a number 6. Wijnaldum is miles ahead in that position. So if we need to play both centrally, it should be Gini and Anita/Tiote/Colback deeper and Sissoko as no 10.

Have to win. We'll be bottom going in to September if we dont

This...or at least, get a point - cannot see any more points coming in the following 2 games v Man U & Arsenal so vital to pick something up to avoid being dragged down early.

Mcclaren is not going to start tiote unless he's completely out of alternatives.

..and he'd be quite right - Tiote looked as if he didn't give a stuff last week and in my opinion, we probably lost 2 points after he came on because he just sat back and didn't attempt to pressure Saints m/f or offer an alternative going forward.

Needs to be sold.

I don't think they are man for man better than us, we will hopefully improve upon last week and I think we will score against them so I'm going for a 1-2 win!

Team will almost certainly be the same as last week, if Anita is unfit I could see Gini being moved back and siem/ayoze slotting in to the no10

Towards the end of the game when Tiote was on, Southampton started getting lots of joy going straight through us up the middle. When I say they, it was mainly Mane on his own.

Swansea are a throughball team, so we'll need pressure on Ki and Shelvey otherwise they'll pass us to ribbons.

Its going to be a good possession vs counter attack game - should be intriguing

If we get our counter formula right, we could get a result in this game IMO. Wijnaldum with Anita in the middle, Sissoko and Aarons out wide, Ayoze and Cisse in the number 10 and 9 respectively. That's what I'd like to see.

Montero and ayew on the wings, I hope Haidara has been putting in some extra work this week!!!

Tbf, the heat maps (i know, i know) seemed to show Ayew didn't spend much time on the wing against Chelsea. Played a lot closer to Gomis.

Of course, they'll have looked at us and realised Obertan offered no protection whatsoever and so they might be able to double up there and just force Haidara to play tight to Colo and have the space on the left to themselves. You'd hope someone put a rocket up Obertans arse over that during the week.