Newcastle 0-1 Andre Marriner - 29/8/15 - Post Match Reaction From Page 5

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aye, he was a very good striker and would start for England now, easily. He had no chance with Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler, Cole and then others like Sutton and Collymore around as well. He was up there with Ferdinand, Fowler and Cole, but Shearer and Sheringham were a level above when they played for England imo.

Geez! The options England had back in the day man. My goodness.

Aye, he was a very good striker and would start for England now, easily. He had no chance with Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler, Cole and then others like Sutton and Collymore around as well. He was up there with Ferdinand, Fowler and Cole, but Shearer and Sheringham were a level above when they played for England imo.

Depressing shit.

http://i.imgur.com/qAX1VsD.png

Two of them aren't strikers.

1 of them forgot how to be a striker years ago.

1 of them is 2015 James Beattie.

And fuck knows what Jamie Vardy is supposed to be.

He's generally alright on 606 until an issue that requires some independent thought comes up.

Didn't actually hear the discussion but it was being talked about on The Game podcast where Wright maintained that the two month transfer window could not be shortened to a one month transfer window as that would breach EU regulations on freedom of movement..

Guest firetotheworks

He played quite well with Shearer in Le Tournoi and while Shearer was out most of the next season including as a lone striker in the 0-0 in Rome. He should really have scored right at the end of that match.

Always remember that performance. That was when he went around the keeper and hit the post from an angle wasn't it?

Guest reefatoon

That surely has to go down as England's worst ever strike force.

Jay Bothroyd and others have gotten caps in recent years, it's not that bad. I suppose we could be saying the same about Vardy in two years though.

As a collective for an international team/squad, it must be the worst surely.

TOON ABUSE IS DISGRACE - Ian Wright

I was at the Newcastle v Arsenal match at the weekend, in the middle of the Toon fans, and was disgusted by the abuse they hurled at Andre Marriner.

It wasn't just a small group - it was thousands of them acting in unison - and I found it unfair and deeply offensive. Ref Marriner got the decision to send off Aleksandar Mitrovic absolutely spot on. He went in over the top on Francis Coquelin with his studs showing and it was an automatic red card. It didn't matter whether that happened after 16 minutes or 86. A red card is a red card and for Newcastle fans to accuse Marriner of spoiling the game is crazy. Blame Mitrovic for that.

But the amount of venom that came from the fans was something I genuinely haven't experienced before. I've played in matches where the supporters were extremely hostile but not like this. They were at the ref for the whole of the game, even though he actually turned in a really good performance -  which is quite something under the circumstances.

If he got one big decision wrong, it was when he refused to give Arsenal a penalty. Otherwise he got the big calls right. I don't like to see bullying in any form, and that is what the Toon fans were doing. It's not on, and when it gets this bad the authorities have to look at it and take action.

Ok, when there are that many people involved, it's tough to know what to do. But clubs also have to think of ways to protect refs from this kind of intimidation. Let's do something before this becomes the norm.

Holy fucking shit :lol:

Wright was a class striker, but is an absolute bell end as a pundit. It's as if these sports channels go out of their way to put the most obnoxious, ignorant ex-players in front of a camera. Ian Wright...Robbie Savage....Paul Merson....they are just there to wind people up.

He played quite well with Shearer in Le Tournoi and while Shearer was out most of the next season including as a lone striker in the 0-0 in Rome. He should really have scored right at the end of that match.

Always remember that performance. That was when he went around the keeper and hit the post from an angle wasn't it?

Scored against Italy in the opening game of Le Tournoi, didn't he?

Yes, we so nearly got caught out with a counter attack straight after. Wright really should have wandered into the corner for a bit of time wasting but he couldn't help himself.

That surely has to go down as England's worst ever strike force.

Jay Bothroyd and others have gotten caps in recent years, it's not that bad. I suppose we could be saying the same about Vardy in two years though.

I once saw John Fashanu partner Tony Cottee at Hampden Park. That was a particular low point for me. Now isn't far off though.

He did indeed. Another major trophy for England's cabinet that was.[emoji38]

Ian Wright should stick to co-hosting Guiness world records.

The referee didn't get so much abuse just because of the red card, he got it for every decision he made.

If fans are allowed to boo their own team when they play badly, their own managers, opposition players when they performed unsportingly, then why aren't they allowed to boo a referee when he's bad?

The fact that 50k people boo's him so loud, and give him the worst reception a referee has had outside of places like Brazil where the fans will actually beat up or kill referee's, then what does that say about his performance?

Newcastle fans are used to poor performers by referee's, any club not in the top 6 are used to them, if his reception got worse then ever before then that says more about the referee and not the fans.

Wheeling out ex players and pundits who have played for the top 6 clubs and are paid by TV channels who have biased coverage, alongside a former referee who was regarding as Man Utd's 12th man by all clubs, even Man Utd to say otherwise means fuck all.

That signature. :scared: